Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    After spending a fortune building the overpass I don't think so but it's crazey to have services at J2,5 & 7, yet nothing near the end especially for those who are coming off N24/25 and don't want to go into Waterford.

AppleGreen would only be delighted to operate J2 and current J7 with Topaz in between.
    The section between Kilkenny and Waterford is the quietest part of the M9.

It's a pity they wouldn't open J2 fairly rapidly considering the money spent on the overpass and the overall poor services on the N9 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

marno21 wrote: »
    The section between Kilkenny and Waterford is the quietest part of the M9.

It's a pity they wouldn't open J2 fairly rapidly considering the money spent on the overpass and the overall poor services on the N9 route.

Well actually North to South Kilkenny (J8-9) however 3 services almost on top of one another after you strip out typical commuter traffic and if they can survive, one could further South.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What's with all the traffic cones anyway, think there near Paulstown for a considerable distance on the Dublin side.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sully wrote: »
    What's with all the traffic cones anyway, think there near Paulstown for a considerable distance on the Dublin side.

I think it's for hedge/gorse cutting and removal.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well actually North to South Kilkenny (J8-9) however 3 services almost on top of one another after you strip out typical commuter traffic and if they can survive, one could further South.

3 services within 30 mins of each other is nuts alright. Waterford to Dublin is a 90 min journey...you can comfortably do it without stopping at all, 2 strategically place services on the M9 would be more than sufficient. Paulstown/Carlow are virtually on top of another as they're only 10 mins apart.
    A better idea (in my opinion) would have been one between Kilkenny and Waterford and then one at J4 Carlow North/Castledermot or J3.
    Granted of course the one at J5 will pick up a lot of N80 traffic as well which is very busy route in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

road_high wrote: »
    3 services within 30 mins of each other is nuts alright. Waterford to Dublin is a 90 min journey...you can comfortably do it without stopping at all, 2 strategically place services on the M9 would be more than sufficient. Paulstown/Carlow are virtually on top of another as they're only 10 mins apart.
    A better idea (in my opinion) would have been one between Kilkenny and Waterford and then one at J4 Carlow North/Castledermot or J3.
    Granted of course the one at J5 will pick up a lot of N80 traffic as well which is very busy route in itself.
    I would say most of the traffic for this site would be from the N80. I live on this route and there is a fairly big volume on it all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Very nasty crash last night between J11 Mullinavat and J10 Knocktopher, near where the motorway passes over the old N9 at Lukeswell.

It looks like a northbound car went over the barrier and landed on its roof on the southbound carriageway, and another northbound car also ended up on its roof on the northbound carriageway.

I reckon I got there about 15-20 minutes after it happened, as there were still emergency vehicles arriving. Ended up sitting there for about half an hour until things got moving again. I saw nothing at all about it on any news sources, except a brief mention on KCLR, so hopefully any injuries were superficial. Looking at it though, I'm very surprised there wasn't loss of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Has there ever been talk of an M9 extension from Newbridge to M4 at Kilcock, onwards to M3 at Bracetown and then to M2 at ashbourne and possibly M1 at Blakes cross?

I'm no expert, but surely this would take a lot of pressure off the M50 & N7?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Has there ever been talk of an M9 extension from Newbridge to M4 at Kilcock, onwards to M3 at Bracetown and then to M2 at ashbourne and possibly M1 at Blakes cross?

I'm no expert, but surely this would take a lot of pressure off the M50 & N7?
    that'd be the DOOR (Dublin outer orbital route) which is not on the cards any time soon.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Orbital_Route

the nearest you have is the N80-N52 corridor which aside from the M9 traffic is actually a great alternative between Portlaoise and Mullingar to avoid the M50 if looking to go from the M7/ M8 to N4 or that north midlands area in general.
    (north of Mullingar the road isnt great, but theres works ongoing and planned)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Plans submitted for a large filling station along with with food court and shower changing facilities just off exit 11 at Mullinavat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Plans submitted for a large filling station along with with food court and shower changing facilities just off exit 11 at Mullinavat.

You don't have a link to the application by any chance, I can't see it on Kilkenny Co Co page.

Lovely, so nearly every M9 exit will soon be covered! If I were them I'd put it at exit 9 N10 as it's the busiest junction south of Kilkenny, J11 seems very close to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

radharc wrote: »
    You don't have a link to the application by any chance, I can't see it on Kilkenny Co Co page.

Site notice is only up a couple of days so it will probably be a couple of weeks before its online. Might be in newspapers this week or next.

Basics from what i can remember are a filling station with 12 bays and 2 HGV bays as well as convenience store and off license which are 100 square meters. Along with food court consisting of cafe's and restaurants including take away. Indoor play area and shower and changing facilities. Offices, tourist information and reception.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's at the stage when TII can now abandon most of the MSA plans. The M9 has come a long way from the barren serviceless motorway it was there for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

So that Kilkenny, Knocktopher, Mullinavat and then Waterford. Good to have options :)

marno21 wrote: »
    It's at the stage when TII can now abandon most of the MSA plans. The M9 has come a long way from the barren serviceless motorway it was there for a few years.

The M9 will be overloaded with services (and in the wrong location IMO) iff all come to fruition.
    Pity Kilcullen hasn't opened, it's the one I'd have likely used most- 70km from KIlkenny and 40km from Dublin- ideal.
    Are they still all mired in legal challenges? They'll hardly abandon them, the infrastructure is in place.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Cheers. Do you know who will be running the M9 kilcullen services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

does anyone know what the new lighting layout sign is all about before the athy exit on both sides of the M9? it's been there for at least 4 weeks and I've no idea what has changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 M4Girl

patrickc wrote: »
    does anyone know what the new lighting layout sign is all about before the athy exit on both sides of the M9? it's been there for at least 4 weeks and I've no idea what has changed

Some street lights have been switched off as part of TII Trim 'n' Dim trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

M4Girl wrote: »
    Some street lights have been switched off as part of TII Trim 'n' Dim trial.
    permanently or just different timings ?

permanently or just different timings ?

It's a trial to remove what is seen as surplus lighting, so TII will monitor the junction over the next few months and decide whether or not to make it permanent. There are 4 junctions in the trial, around the country: M1 Jct 6, M6 Jct 3, M9 Jct 3 and M4 Jct 9.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I noticed this too driving on the M9 at the weekend.

On another note, anyone else notice that the older motorways with the wide medians have the high post cluster lights at junctions whilst the newer sections have the more conventional lamp posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

That dip in the surface of the M9 near Paulstown (which was repaired previously)
    seems to be getting a lot worse lately. Are they leaving it to see when it bottoms out/settles and then repair it or whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I've been wondering that myself. It seems to be even worse than it was prior to being fixed last time.

A pity they haven't attempted to fix it again over the summer when traffic would be a bit lighter.

hi5 wrote: »
    That dip in the surface of the M9 near Paulstown (which was repaired previously)
    seems to be getting a lot worse lately. Are they leaving it to see when it bottoms out/settles and then repair it or whats the story?

Jesus I hope not another month of closures, that was ridiculous last time. The dip coming up out of the Kilkenny junction towards Paulstown is even worse in my opinion.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed this too driving on the M9 at the weekend.

On another note, anyone else notice that the older motorways with the wide medians have the high post cluster lights at junctions whilst the newer sections have the more conventional lamp posts?

High mast lights mean that you don't need median lighting columns; median lights are a sod to maintain and work on because you need major traffic management each time. High mast columns shed the light further; narrow medians generally mean you can use ordinary columns and stay out of the median.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Who left there wheel on the overtaking lane yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Autosport wrote: »
    Who left there wheel on the overtaking lane yesterday.

Great band. Was it Roger Daltrey?

Advertisement