Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breastfeeding and vitamins

• 17-09-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am not really sure where to start this time..
    Basically my little man is 5 and half months old and I am still breastfeeding him.. no longer exclusively as he started his solid foods diet few weeks ago..
    My skin, nails and hair never been so good and nice as they have been during the first few months after I gave birth.. but... suddenly about two weeks ago my nails became very weak and I am loosing awful lot of hair... I was taking vitamins called Femibion while I was pregnant and also for the first few months after I gave birth and while I was exclusively breastfeeding.. I am only about to finish my last pack and I am wondering.. Is there any vitamins I could take which would stop my hair falling out and made my nails stronger? I asked my doctor and in health shops but they all said nothing was really safe when I am still breastfeeding.
    I was recommended Hubner Silicea capsules by a girl in a health shop but she was not sure 100% if they are safe while breastfeeding.
    Anyone knows???? Thanks a mill.

Anyone knows???? Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Hiya, pregnacare do a course specially for nursing mothers. They are expensive though - about 28 euro in my local pharmacy for a month's worth. You could probably get them cheaper elsewhere, and Boots possibly do an own-brand version. They def. gave me more energy, but I don't think anything can stop the nail/hair issues. My hair came out in clumps when my boy was 4 months old and my nails are only starting to recover now that he has turned one and not needing much milk from me anymore. It's hormonal, not diet related, so vitamins can't help much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I looked up the Huebner website and it says (in German) that silicea is particularly recommended for pregnant women and is as essential as iron. Anything that is safe for pregnant women is safe for nursing women.

Link here in English says pretty much the same thing:
    http://www.silicea.com/en/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Elle I'm the same, my hair was falling out so much in last month. Had to go get it cut because it look awful at the end real thin. The hairdresser was telling me its all hormonal and it does stop but to try do as little to your hair as possible. She also said if wearing bobbin to try get the ones with no metal in them. I got pack in tesco and they great. They don't fall out, so I'm not touching my hair as much. Have found in last week since got hair done, my hair hasn't fallen out as much. If i where you i'd prob just get the pregnacare tablets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Welcome to the world of hormones!! Yes your hair will get thin and fall out your nails will weaken but the good news is it'll get better..

I had a few bald spots n my head and my entire hairline receeded about an inch so it was a new hairstyle for me. Every shower was a handful of hair and brushing there were strands falling out.. :eek:this started happen when ben was about 4 and a half months and i was finished breastfeeding, he's 8 and a half months now and i've got about a 2 inch re-growth. and a lovely short style thanks to my amazing hairdresser!!:D

You dont' loose any hair when you're pregnant hence the lovely glossy locks but once the hormones start to decrease this can happen.. it's a pain in the rear but it'll grow back

It's nothing that vitamins can help with unfortunately, the hormanal effect on the body is amazing weakening the nails and hair follicles, spots and skin blemishes.. My skin got ultra oily for a few months too.. my make up would just run off my face..
    It'll take a few months but a good hairdresser should be able to help.. and don't panic it's perfectly normal.. just the bit no-one tells you about!! ;)
    They say 9 months in 9 months out, so only a few more to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Hiya, pregnacare do a course specially for nursing mothers. They are expensive though - about 28 euro in my local pharmacy for a month's worth. You could probably get them cheaper elsewhere, and Boots possibly do an own-brand version. They def. gave me more energy, but I don't think anything can stop the nail/hair issues. My hair came out in clumps when my boy was 4 months old and my nails are only starting to recover now that he has turned one and not needing much milk from me anymore. It's hormonal, not diet related, so vitamins can't help much.

Thanks for that Cat. I have looked up the Silicea web site too and seen what they mentioned about pregnant women but just wanted to know if anyone experienced them capsules as they are pricey too.
    I found the pregnacare for breastfeeding mothers on ebay for €13.. I dont think I am gonna bother since if this is hotmonal there is not much point and my Femibion tablets are probably doing as much as those Pregnacare would.
    The Silicea capsules are the once I would think about.. just have to try to find them cheaper somewhere as they are about double price of the Pregnacare capsules.
    Thanks again! x

• Advertisement

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Elle I'm the same, my hair was falling out so much in last month. Had to go get it cut because it look awful at the end real thin. The hairdresser was telling me its all hormonal and it does stop but to try do as little to your hair as possible. She also said if wearing bobbin to try get the ones with no metal in them. I got pack in tesco and they great. They don't fall out, so I'm not touching my hair as much. Have found in last week since got hair done, my hair hasn't fallen out as much. If i where you i'd prob just get the pregnacare tablets

Hi Bulmersgal,

I got those bobbins few years ago.. it was my hairdresser too who recommend them..I had no problem with my hair in that stage but she just mentioned it to me one day as I used to be very sport active and wore one of them every day for couple of hours..
    Hope you and your little bundle are doing well.. x

cbyrd wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of hormones!! Yes your hair will get thin and fall out your nails will weaken but the good news is it'll get better..

I had a few bald spots n my head and my entire hairline receeded about an inch so it was a new hairstyle for me. Every shower was a handful of hair and brushing there were strands falling out.. :eek:this started happen when ben was about 4 and a half months and i was finished breastfeeding, he's 8 and a half months now and i've got about a 2 inch re-growth. and a lovely short style thanks to my amazing hairdresser!!:D

You dont' loose any hair when you're pregnant hence the lovely glossy locks but once the hormones start to decrease this can happen.. it's a pain in the rear but it'll grow back

It's nothing that vitamins can help with unfortunately, the hormanal effect on the body is amazing weakening the nails and hair follicles, spots and skin blemishes.. My skin got ultra oily for a few months too.. my make up would just run off my face..
    It'll take a few months but a good hairdresser should be able to help.. and don't panic it's perfectly normal.. just the bit no-one tells you about!! ;)
    They say 9 months in 9 months out, so only a few more to go!!

Thanks cbyrd,

Its terrible to say that but I am glad that its not only my issue.. I guess my thyroid problem does not help with all those hormonal issues.. well we will hope it will all get back to normal soon :-)
    Thanks! x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Although there is not much you can do to stop your hair thining you can ensure that the hair you do have is as strong and as healthy as possible by making sure that you have enough protein in your diet (hair is made of keratin but breastmilk is also rich in protein and your supply goes there first).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Agreed w/ all comments made here saying it's hormonal. I had it too, esp after my first baby. 6 mos after she was born - bam! - all of a sudden I was losing loads of hair & had dandruff for the first time in my life! I gave it some time & it all worked itself out in a month or two. Vitamins won't do anything to help this process unfortunately. Good luck!

Advertisement