Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7-N18 Limerick South Ring Road thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hindsight is a fine thing but I never understood why they didnt simply build the N24 Flyover as an underpass.

Have the M7 SRR as a Flyover.

Personally I think the entire section from the Newport Road Roundabout to Junction 1 is a disaster. It spent far too long as a HQDC and now it is still treated as such with incorrect roadmarkings, incorrect lighting, sulkies and what I saw today which baffled me.

A guy on an electric bike came down off the Dooradoyle exit headed against traffic in the hard shoulder and was heading, I assume, in the direction of Roxborough. He would have had to cross 4 on/off ramps. Couple that with pedestrians, hitch hikers and cyclists its a disaster of a stretch.

The lack of an exit at Rosbrien is also a litle tedious for rush hour traffic and the LCC is making things worse by putting obstacles on the Rosbrien Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

concrete bases down for emergency telephones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

There is an article in the Limerick post ( Saturday 30th October) about implementing a 3 ton limit on the Greenfields road and extending the traffic calming measures as far as the intersection with the southern ring road, I assume they are talking about the speed bumps. The article can be viewed on page 27 of the online edition here.

I don't think extending the speed bumps is a great idea but I definitely think they should introduce the 3 ton limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i LOVE the way the tunnel warning signs have a " no horse and carts" symbol...ONLY in Limerick! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

It's on the Jack Lynch tunnel as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

corktina wrote: »
    i LOVE the way the tunnel warning signs have a " no horse and carts" symbol...ONLY in Limerick! lol

Ah I see where you are coming from - because horse and carts are only in Limerick, right?

Maybe YOU are 'only in Limerick'.

In fairness, only time I've ever seen them on the roads is around Limerick.

re: the above

ahhahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

Anyone know what the traffic jam at junction 28 heading from the tunnel side was this evening? Got caught up in it on the way from home at about 17:45. Thank god for the annacotty exit, definately saved me 15-20 mins tonight to get to Castletroy!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Heading from the M20 towards the tunnel one of the signs normally warning about the height restriction had a Chinese like language displayed! All other signs were fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

topper75 wrote: »
    Ah I see where you are coming from - because horse and carts are only in Limerick, right?

The only place you see them with such frequency is in Limerick... sorry to disappoint you, but its the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

no then Id be limericktina would I not?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So there is no sulky riding in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

So there is no sulky riding in Cork?

Not once in six years did I ever see one in or around Cork City. Plenty around Cashel and Clonmel these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

In fairness, only time I've ever seen them on the roads is around Limerick.

I've seen them in Cork as well, though I suppose I've seen them in Limerick most frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone else think the condition of the road at Finnegans is very poor? There is a section where the new layer meets the old DC layer and its very bumpy.

Here:
    http://www.google.ie/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Limerick,+County+Limerick&ll=52.667951,-8.515348&spn=0.030398,0.09304&z=14&layer=c&cbll=52.667665,-8.515468&panoid=ufezCyd7xQE2n-9ZLOj6TQ&cbp=12,227.49,,0,8.82

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone else think the condition of the road at Finnegans is very poor? There is a section where the new layer meets the old DC layer and its very bumpy.

Here:
    http://www.google.ie/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Limerick,+County+Limerick&ll=52.667951,-8.515348&spn=0.030398,0.09304&z=14&layer=c&cbll=52.667665,-8.515468&panoid=ufezCyd7xQE2n-9ZLOj6TQ&cbp=12,227.49,,0,8.82

That image is probably a year old. Although I haven't seen that part lately I would assume that a final layer has been put down and that it's grand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'm curious to see how the M20 Northbound to M7 Eastbound (i.e. Dooradoyle to Dublin) ramp will handle in icy conditions this winter.

It's already dangerous enough with its steep ascent and narrow width. I don't want to be the first person to test the effectiveness of its crash barriers in thick ice!! The drop must be fifty feet down the embankment.

Truck drivers must dread the hard slog upwards into a corkscrew bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I'm curious to see how the M20 Northbound to M7 Eastbound (i.e. Dooradoyle to Dublin) ramp will handle in icy conditions this winter.

It's already dangerous enough with its steep ascent and narrow width. I don't want to be the first person to test the effectiveness of its crash barriers in thick ice!! The drop must be fifty feet down the embankment.

Truck drivers must dread the hard slog upwards into a corkscrew bend.

I don't know about the icy conditions but you would definitely not the first person to test the crash barriers on that curve.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    That image is probably a year old. Although I haven't seen that part lately I would assume that a final layer has been put down and that it's grand now.

I know that - its the only recent pic i could find, its still very bumpy in the left hand lane at this point - which is hard to understand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I used the tunnel in the last couple of weeks cos of the bad weather (I normally take the back roads around Limerick to get to Shannon) and the one thing that annoyed me trying to use the express lane was idiots who tailgate you and then you are both denied the fast (~50kph) way through the toll plaza.

Why don't the operators put up signs to tell people how to use the express lanes properly?

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Why don't the operators put up signs to tell people how to use the express lanes properly?

They do but people are generally stupid and dont read signs. Sheep mentality you see.

I don't use the Express Lane because my tag does not work on the mainline like 1000's of other tags for some reason. I just use the basket only ones. I have seen rental cars getting smacked by barrier in the express lane on multiple plazas around the country because of "sheep mentality".

I have seen people sitting in the express lane wondering why they cannot get through, somebody arrives behind them, tag gets read, barrier opens and numpty sneaks through and the paying customer gets blocked. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Got this in my inbox today:

Dear

We would like to notify you of an error that occurred during the Limerick Tunnel Toll Plaza billing process.

Limerick Tunnel advised that certain passages made during the months of October and November 2010 did not appear on customer accounts. These passages will appear on eFlow customer accounts in the month of January 2011.

Your account has been affected by these issues. Journeys made by your vehicle through the Limerick Tunnel during the months of October and November 2010, will appear on your monthly statement for January 2011.

Since this has been brought to our attention we have made the appropriate contact with Limerick Tunnel to rectify this issue and to reduce the risk of reoccurrence.

Please feel free to call us if you have any questions on LoCall: 1890-50-10-50.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your continued custom.

Yours sincerely

Anyone spot the new signage installed on the old N7 from the Newport Roundabout towards Annacotty? At two points the directions for the M20, M7, N24, N69 and N18 point towards the city rather than the actual motorway junction. Ludicrous that this was allowed up.

Didnt see it but I saw a D reg merc going around the roundabout yesterday and hadnt a clue where they were going!

Anyone else see in the Limerick Post this week that €2million will be allocated towards the upgrade of the Ballysimon road interchange? I'm not sure what they can exactly do to improve the traffic situation there.

Tech3 wrote: »
    Anyone else see in the Limerick Post this week that €2million will be allocated towards the upgrade of the Ballysimon road interchange? I'm not sure what they can exactly do to improve the traffic situation there.

How far would 2 milllion go? I have no idea. I presume we're looking at some earthworks and realignment for that money?

Any indication of dates Tech3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Tremelo wrote: »
    How far would 2 milllion go? I have no idea. I presume we're looking at some earthworks and realignment for that money?

See here. €2m only gets you the consultants.

Tremelo wrote: »

I really dont know what can be down for the junction, the way it was designed makes it impossible to upgrade it to a dumbell type junction. I think an extra lane might be added probably outbound as it is chaos in the evening peak hours.

I think it was stated in the article that they hoped for work to start in Autumn

• Advertisement

Surely the 2 million will be for the rental of LED signs saying

"Traffic queues likely"

Although they could manage to switch on the filters so that people heading onto the onramps could actually use the YIELD signs designed for that exact filtering reason.

Advertisement