Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January -a week in the Coromandel or Northland?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I've just impulsively booked flights to Auckland for a week in January ($19 each way - thank you Air New Zealand!) and I'm trying to decide if I should go east or west. Can anyone make a recommendation for either a week driving around the Coromandel or heading up to Northland? I haven't been further north than Rotarua yet so either is new to me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Never got to the coromandel area, but lived in Northland for 4months years and years ago. Northland has some beautiful beaches around the Bay of islands and also further north like Tauranga Bay and Matauri Bay (which is also where the rainbow warrior memorial is). On the other side of Northland you can visit the Kauri forests to see the amazing kauri trees.

You could also do a day trip to Cape Reinga, the tip of new zealand and combine that with a drive on 90mile beach. you could easily fill in a week in northland.

looking at google maps it's probably around a 3 1/2 hr drive to the bay of islands. as you're going in Jan that will mean summer and school holidays so it will be busy also.

HTH,
    mel

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

There are loads of gorgeous beaches in both areas and plenty to see and do.

The Cormandal gets quite busy over the December/January period with lots of people taking time off work and brinigng the boat and the tents out. Hot water beach and other places are nice to visit and relax at. This campsite was a hidden gem: http://www.opouterebeach.co.nz/ AMAZING WHITE SAND BEACH :)

Advertisement