Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

120 Irish troops to join EU battle group

• 18-09-2010 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0914/defence.html

120 Irish troops to join EU battle group

About 120 members of the Defence Forces, mostly from the Munster area, are taking part in exercises in Co Wicklow in preparation for their participation in an EU battle group next January.

The troops will be part of a 1,500 strong Nordic battle group, which will be on stand-by for six months for deployment at five days' notice to trouble spots around the world.

It is the second time Irish soldiers have been part of a battle group. They were previously involved in 2008.

The battle group concept was developed less than a decade ago to enable the EU to respond rapidly to emergencies and disasters.

They can be deployed to help stabilise crisis situations and contribute to humanitarian efforts.

This week's military preparations are taking place in the Glen of Imaal and further exercises will be held next week in Kilworth, Co Cork. The Irish soldiers will shortly undergo a month-long exercise in Sweden.

They will be providing a surveillance and reconnaissance contingent to the Nordic battle group, which will be on standby from January to June next year. Other countries participating in the group include Sweden, Finland, Norway and Estonia.

An additional 30 soldiers from Ireland will be based at the battle group headquarters in Sweden for the duration of the standby arrangement.

A second battle group will also be on standby during the same period.

The battle groups have yet to be called into action since their establishment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Steyr wrote: »

An additional 30 soldiers from Ireland will be based at the battle group headquarters in Sweden for the duration of the standby arrangement.

this may sound an odd question, but given my understanding* of the Irish legal arrangements for sending troops overseas (for whatever purpose), how does this fit within the Triple lock - i'm assuming there's no UNSC resolution sanctioning the EU battlegroup concept and its requirements for joint training?

* which may well be wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I think there is a figure prescribed that requires the triple lock, i.e. has to be over X amount to invoke the triple lock, I understand that what the ISAF contingent operates under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Nuttzz wrote: »
    I think there is a figure prescribed that requires the triple lock, i.e. has to be over X amount to invoke the triple lock, I understand that what the ISAF contingent operates under

i think its 12. that would do the ISAF contingent - which has a UNSC resolution anyway, but not the 30 HQ staff at Nordic EU BG, which, as far as i know, doesn't.

Advertisement