Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing mat + bag

Options
  • 18-09-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

This is a problem I'm sure many of you have. I need two things.
    1. A changing mat for surfing / general watersports.
    2. A bag to cllect all the wetgear afterwards.

I saw this on ebay and was tempted to buy it till I relaised the bag is probably too small for the gloves, boots, suit etc etc.

Has anyone got a clever solution? Even old carpet + a box done in a clever reusable type way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Ah man dont waste your money on that. Just go into any harrdware store like atlantic homecare or homebase and get a plastic storage box for a fiver for all the wetgear, i use one kinda like this:

plastic%20storage%20box%202.jpg

As for a changing mat, use any old towel or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigsurf.ie

Hi Corglass,

Curve Change Tub. Stand into it, pull off the wetsuit and leave the wetsuit in it until you get home. http://www.bigsurf.ie/shop/surf/surfing-accessories/curve-fold-away-change-tub-surfing/63-73-368

Also have change mats, but they are not soft underfoot, so depends on what you need. http://www.bigsurf.ie/shop/surf/surfing-accessories/curve-2-in-1-change-bag-surfing/63-73-358

Change Tub has insulation, so it warms the feet when you stand in and it also protects feet from stones / rubbish on the beach when changing.
    It is waterproof, so no leaks. Wash it out in fresh water when you wash your wetsuit and turn upside down to dry.
    It is flexible...my car boot is always stuffed with gear, and I would not be able to squeeze a plastic box in there also. The tub is flexible, and can be flattened or rolled for storage purposes.
    Carries all my gear...boots, rasher, wetty, windsurf/kitesurf harness & helmet.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Pearse
    bigsurf.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

Decos wrote: »
    Ah man dont waste your money on that. Just go into any harrdware store like atlantic homecare or homebase and get a plastic storage box for a fiver for all the wetgear, i use one kinda like this:

plastic%20storage%20box%202.jpg

As for a changing mat, use any old towel or something like that

i always find that these break on me , i bought one of these yokes down the local gardening centre
    http://www.northcoastgardening.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/d3aba391d974_12E70/Tubtrugsgardenbucket.jpg

i always find that these break on me , i bought one of these yokes down the local gardening centre
    http://www.northcoastgardening.com/w...rdenbucket.jpg
    ya i see most people using that one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

you know what I would like? Something to put the board on while waxing it. I've see these on photos of popular surf spots in the states.

I have a keyboard stand at home, that I put the board on once when I was taking wax off, so something like it, but more sturdier would be good.

I think it could come in handy in somewhere like Lahinch, when you are in the car park, and don' want to put the board on the concrete...

I usually put it on the bag, then wax it, or put it on grass if it's nearby, but something that could be folded up like a little table or stand, would be useful I think....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

You'll find the something is called a car:eek:

rodento wrote: »
    You'll find the something is called a car:eek:

hmmmmmmmm, a longboard though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

With the possible exception of the Rat you're all a serious bunch of kooks, Jay'sus ye should all be buying handbags not these ****ty crap boxes & bins that you're all blathering about.

Just get a suitably sized bucket or tub or better yet a new hobby to waste your weekends on.
    Insulated to keep yer feet warm? And I suppose ye bring the mammy with ye to towel ya off too?? Man the fu*k up Kooks!!

Stand to wax the Bic on? Great idea that, esp when its a howling onshore:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Jeez Cecil Mor, bit irritable today, no?

As to the OP, all I do is line the boot of the car with black plastic sacks/sheeting to save the carpet in the boot getting sandy/wet. Peel off the gear and fire it in. Bring extra towels to stand on to avoid sandy/gritty feet. 2l bottles of water to wash off your feet before drying and putting socks and shoes on if they do get gritty while changing (warm water is lovely in the winter to pour over frozen toes ;)).

Waxing the board in a carpark - again, extra towel, put it on the boot of your car (if it's a saloon type) or the bonnet, and plonk the board on top of that (towel to save the car's paintwork from getting scratched). Wax away. Works with a longboard too as long as it's not blowing a gale!

Probably not the advice you were looking for, but I'm a cheapskate :)

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    With the possible exception of the Rat you're all a serious bunch of kooks, Jay'sus ye should all be buying handbags not these ****ty crap boxes & bins that you're all blathering about.

Just get a suitably sized bucket or tub or better yet a new hobby to waste your weekends on.
    Insulated to keep yer feet warm? And I suppose ye bring the mammy with ye to towel ya off too?? Man the fu*k up Kooks!!

Stand to wax the Bic on? Great idea that, esp when its a howling onshore:rolleyes:

Have you been annoying all your life then, or only since you took up surfing ... :rolleyes::)

I love the way other surfers get SO worked up about what other's are into, or want to do surfing wise....So much so, I will make a point in the future of getting up surfer snob's noses....

• Advertisement

echosound wrote: »

Waxing the board in a carpark - again, extra towel, put it on the boot of your car (if it's a saloon type) or the bonnet, and plonk the board on top of that (towel to save the car's paintwork from getting scratched). Wax away. Works with a longboard too as long as it's not blowing a gale!

Probably not the advice you were looking for, but I'm a cheapskate :)

never had a problem waxing the board (for the last 5+ years), but it is something that could come in handy, in a carpark....

Just get a suitably sized bucket or tub
    What the hell is wrong with any of the plastic boxes mentioned? They hold wet sh*t and theyre dirt cheap. What more do you want

Have you been annoying all your life then, or only since you took up surfing ... :rolleyes:smile.gif
    Nope, only since you took up surfing:rolleyes:

Seriously ladies, anyone that buys such surf branded sh*te is a Kook full stop!
    Re. the plastic box, bond a section of 4mm ply on the underside and it'll last longer. See Kooks, I CAN be helpful.

Re. something to stand on so ye don't ruin your pink nail varnished tootsies just do what I like to do and stand on the nearest Kook's Bic/NSP popout.
    In yer cases that'd be your own Kook stick:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

:pac::pac:

Think it's his time of the month and he's a bit crabby.

To answer some fair questions, I've smashed no end of plastic boxes by dropping them when full with a wet suit, the rubber gardening tubs are much better and will out last them by a long shot.

As for waxing board I rest it on my feet against my shins and wax away or use a board bag or leave it down on sand. I don't towles to stand on that's what board bags are for but mosly now I just jump in the van and get changed in the back :D Can stick the kettle on to so it warm up as well.

Re. the plastic box, bond a section of 4mm ply on the underside and it'll last longer. See Kooks, I CAN be helpful.

Re. something to stand on so ye don't ruin your pink nail varnished tootsies just do what I like to do and stand on the nearest Kook's Bic/NSP popout.
    In yer cases that'd be your own Kook stick:pac::pac:

Yeah, I'll remember to just chuck a wetsuit into the back seat next time just because you recommend it. I mean, a plastic box, is about 5 euro, and probably one of the handiest things to have for wet stuff in a car or a van. If you can't get that, you must not be the most practical person in the world.

I must seek you out next time I'm down the coast for a lecture on the "ways of a surfer"......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're slagging off everyone else here about gadgets they shouldn't have, but the irony is you're probably the most image conscious person that hits the sea I'd reckon....

seachto7 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll remember to just chuck a wetsuit into the back seat next time just because you recommend it. I mean, a plastic box, is about 5 euro, and probably one of the handiest things to have for wet stuff in a car or a van. If you can't get that, you must not be the most practical person in the world.

I must seek you out next time I'm down the coast for a lecture on the "ways of a surfer"......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're slagging off everyone else here about gadgets they shouldn't have, but the irony is you're probably the most image conscious person that hits the sea I'd reckon....

Can he surf?

I have yet to see a troll on a surfboard....

Could say the same about a kook in winter...

seachto7 wrote: »
    I have yet to see a troll on a surfboard....
    Bit like a guy I used to know, he'd been on loads of surf trips, even seen on the beach with a board in a wet suit on but nobody ever seen him surf ever

Must be one of those lads who seat in their campers all day drinking tea and dreaming about it:eek:

You heading west on the weekend???

• Advertisement

the west will be awake...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Being sissy, noobie, and eejit (when not talking about surfing paddling), I change from wetsuit on grass, so no sand at all. And wax my board sitting with the board on my legs. As I said - eejit ;)

But got that plastic container that fits even fins, when I go only for a dip without the board. Well spent €15 - prevents a bit even spreading of the smell in the car.

What a Kook, I never mentioned just throwing it into the car but if you're gonna follow my every recommendation seachto7 then I recommend stuffing it up yer a*se, just don't forget your Kook booties, Kook gloves & Kook hood.

I've advised against the novelty "surf" branded nonsense and suggested that ye Kooks just go get yerselves a tub for yer wet gear instead.
    I've also said that if ye get a plastic storage box that ye should reinforce it's base to prevent breakage. Often these will crack but still appear intact allowing nice corrosive salty sea water to leak out into your Kook Mobile.

Why not go get yourselves one of those Kooktastic towelette nighties for changing under that is oh so popular amongst ye inbred Kooks of late.
    you must not be the most practical person in the world
    You're right, I'm not!

I must seek you out next time I'm down the coast for a lecture on the "ways of a surfer"......rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif
    Don't bother, I don't talk to Kooks!!

Must be one of those lads who seat in their campers all day drinking tea and dreaming about it
    Almost correct Rat, I enjoy chillin' out in the Van suppin' tae and watchin' Kooks chuck their boards all over the place esp at other surfers shooting down the line.
    Better watch that shiny new bonzer if your on the left, it's been a Kook Zoo of late.

the west will be awake...
    No it won't, it'll be a feckin' hazard with all you Kooks turning up en mass:pac:

Your not the camper I was thinking about:D

Bonzer isn't going near the left, got it with other waves in mind

ah Cecil Mor, great to see you got out at the right side of the bed today. You should have some herbal tea and chill the beans or somethin.... :)

Your not the camper I was thinking about:D

Bonzer isn't going near the left, got it with other waves in mind

Won't be west, off to portugal for two weeks. And I don't drink tea all day I surf, drink tea surf some more and wash it down with beer, remember what that tastes like?

:p:p

PS Cecil Mor just for you and your kookness go get some waves, you sound like you need them or (don't open it in work) http://tiny.cc/po677

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

cecilmor sits in his camper all day drinking tae alright I seen the machine, takes a while for the kettle though boy. You wanna get that shortboard for sale two threads down and then you be sorted cecil, fkin man up and get a shortboard and stop pissing about on your log.

Spacehopper its about time you manned up a bit and stopped looking for excuses to miss the surf of the season(fingers crossed)

And your right about the beer, I'm celiac...

No more beers for me:(

Spacehopper its about time you manned up a bit and stopped looking for excuses to miss the surf of the season(fingers crossed)

And your right about the beer, I'm celiac...

No more beers for me:(

I won't miss it I'll just be catching it in a sunny warmer climate. might take a look at Punta R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

Cecilmor is the best haha.

Advertisement