Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donkey Kong Country Returns!

Options
  • 18-09-2010 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Donkey King is coming to the Wii. Release date in North America is the 21st of November. European release date not yet confirmed. The game will be a side scroller, and simultaneous two player play is available.

Nintendo have this to say:
    "Controlled by a group of evil Tikis, the animals in Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong's Banana Hoard and stolen his stash of bananas - and he understandably wants them back. Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong™ back in a new side-scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NES™ original.
    Retro Studios faithfully restores everything that made the original series great, from barrel cannons to mine carts, and then builds on those elements with stunning graphics and new layers of depth to the world and game play. The game offers the traditional side-scrolling experience everyone loved, but with levels created in fully rendered 3-D environments."

TRAILER

Excited much? Will you be getting this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Loved the first 3 games - finished them all to 100% (and beyond).
    I think this looks brilliant. I hope they don't mess it up with weird Wii controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Mr E wrote: »
    Loved the first 3 games - finished them all to 100% (and beyond).
    I think this looks brilliant. I hope they don't mess it up with weird Wii controls.

Mario and Zelda didn't suffer with weird Wii controls (imo anyway) so I don't see why DK will.

I think this is looking seriously great. More excited for this than Mario Galaxy 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think this is looking seriously great. More excited for this than Mario Galaxy 2.

Looks great alright, but I can't help but wonder if it didn't feature Donkey Kong...would it be causing this much hype? What I mean is, at its core, it's just another Donkey Kong platformer. Graphics aside, is there anything that sets this apart from the SNES version?

Seems to me Nintendo are relying on their mascots a little too much these days. I'd love a new 1st party Nintendo release that was entirely new, not another mascot game with updated graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

EnterNow wrote: »
    Seems to me Nintendo are relying on their mascots a little too much these days.

That's something that Nintendo have more or less admitted themselves.

I am really looking forward to this game because I was a huge fan of the Donkey Kong Country series on the SNES. Even just hearing the sound of the bananas being collected in that video brings back great memories.

elekid wrote: »
    Even just hearing the sound of the bananas being collected in that video brings back great memories.

I must admit, that did bring a smile to my face too. Something timeless about that sound.

• Advertisement

Your right, a lot of it is to do with the fact it's Donkey Kong and the same hype wouldn't be there for a new Nintendo character.

But as this comment shows
    EnterNow wrote: »
    I must admit, that did bring a smile to my face too. Something timeless about that sound.

Everyone loves a bit of nostalgia, sentiment, whatever you wanna call it. This game would look great whether it was a DK title or not. Luckily it is :D

IGN preview of Donkey Kong Country Returns
    I played a bunch of Donkey Kong Country Returns but left the writing duties to someone else. Now that I've played a bunch more of the game at this year's Gamescom I'm ready to crack down on the impressions piece I wish I had time to write two months ago.

Let it be said that the version in Nintendo's booth at Germany's Gamecom was the same build Retro Studios put together for E3, so not a whole lot new was revealed in this hands-on, and if you're looking for brand new elements about the game you're probably best to move onto the rest of our Gamescom coverage.

The Donkey Kong Country Return demo does do a great job at balancing the variety of the areas to show off what you'll be doing in this upcoming sequel, showing off three full levels of platforming and one boss battle. The game plays homage to the Rare-developed Donkey Kong Country series, obviously – it's a strict side-scrolling affair with a lot of running, jumping and banana collecting. But Donkey Kong Country Returns is doing so much more than the Super NES original could only dream of doing. Retro Studios is designing this in a completely realtime 3D engine which allows the team to create dynamic effects like shifting cameras and the ability to get blasted off into the background then back into the foreground seamlessly.

There are also triggered events that happen, like background object -- giant stone pillars – that fall into Donkey Kong's path, and huge waves that'll flip floating platforms upwards to gain access to higher ledges or to just make running a tad more difficult.

Speaking of difficult, the game can get a little brutal in it's challenge, as made clear in the mine cart level in the Gamescom demo. These level designs are very similar to the cart levels in the classic Super NES games, and if you remember all the times you had to restart the challenge because of a mistimed jump then you'll know exactly what to expect in the Wii sequel. Lots of timing jumps almost perfectly – you'll be automatically zooming forward in a rail car and leaping over gaps in the track. Jump too early and you'll never land on the platform on the other side. Too late and you'll simply plunge to your death. Luckily – at least in the Gamescom/E3 build – extra lives are in abundance.

You can always bring a second player into the action – controller two will take control over Diddy Kong and work along side of player one. Diddy can glide over gaps and shoot his peanut gun, but almost like a nod to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, if things get too much for player two, he can climb on Donkey Kong's back and let him carry the load. Hopefully by the finished product, the two player co-op can be a jump-in-jump-out affair instead of forcing players to pick "two players" from the beginning of the level.

The game's bright, colorful, and runs just as fast and smooth as the old-school platformer. The realtime engine allows for some pretty awesome effects, but I will say that DK's realtime model doesn't look quite as nice as the rendered model of the Super NES game…and I'll have to recheck the game, but I think he looked more detailed in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat on the GameCube.

Nintendo just announced the release date for the game in the US: November 21st. Three more months to go before we get to play this Super NES revival from Retro Studios in all its glory.

IGN preview of Donkey Kong Country Returns

I must admit, this part bothers me,
    The realtime engine allows for some pretty awesome effects, but I will say that DK's realtime model doesn't look quite as nice as the rendered model of the Super NES game
    There's just no excuse for that, I mean we're fifteen years on from DKC on the SNES and effects aside, it appears the character rendering is weaker? The Wii is capable of more, surely. That's pretty weak if true, and easy money for Nintendo.

I remain hopefull though, that they have expanded on at least the dameplay aspect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like utter bull**** to be honest and IGN are notoriously bad journalistically. I've played through DKC 1 and 2 recently and can tell you that the prerendered CGI looks atrocious and that DKC returns is a gorgeous looking game. Also the DKC games really arent all that great no the sheen of the graphics is gone and the CGI looks blocky, dated and quite frankly ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Was looking to see if I could find one of the ads from before the original Donkey Kong Country came out, said something like "It took X amount of hours to make him looks this good/bad/ugly" (can't remember which it said) but found this which I thought was awesome! :D
    mario%20donkey%20kong%20country.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I played all the levels available on the demo version, and got most of the hidden extras. A few still eluded me though.

I really really like the game. It captures the DKC spirit excellently, and I love all the music throwbacks to the first game (mine cart theme, bonus stage theme).

Another preview for your reading pleasure
    Donkey Kong Country Returns isn't just shaping up to be a great single player game, it looks like it could be one of the better two-player cooperative games to hit the Wii this year. Yes, that means that making your way through Retro Studios' Donkey and Diddy Kong game with a friend seems to be much more fun than cooping through Super Mario Galaxy 2.
    Where Galaxy 2 allows a friend two ride shotgun on your Mario adventures, Donkey Kong Country Returns gives you the option of having two fully controllable characters. But if your team mate isn't quite up to platforming certain areas, you can press a button and have Diddy Kong climb atop Donkey Kong's shoulders. While riding Donkey Kong, all Diddy can do is fire off his peanut gun and use his jet pack, essentially providing support for his uncle, without having to master timing and jumps.
    It's a fantastic way to create a game that is fun to play with two gamers whether they are college roommates or father and son.
    During my time with the game I checked out two sections of the Wii title, due out Nov. 21. Rickety Rails has you riding mine carts through a cavernous level filled with collapsing rails and exploding barrels.
    It's just the sort of level that, if I were playing the game with my 9-year-old son, could frustrate him enough to kill the experience. But because Diddy can hop onto Donkey Kong, that's not really an issue here.
    And Donkey Kong Country Returns is exactly the type of game I'd love to play through with my son. It's colorful graphics and sharp game design are augmented by some slick game controls.
    You can either play with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck or by holding the remote sideways. I played through the levels with the two controllers.
    As Diddy, you have to shake both controllers to fire off your peanut gun, drumming your hands in front of you like an angry ape as your on-screen gorilla popped off endless peanuts in small arcs.
    The game also does a good job of keeping you on your toes, making use of both the foreground and background graphics throughout the game, sometimes even shooting you off to the background, having you control the characters in the distance, the muted sound of their combat emphasizing how far away they are from the screen.
    Donkey Kong Country Returns feels like more than just a return to classic, fun Donkey Kong gaming, it feels like a return to the sort of games that made us fall in love with Nintendo in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New trailer out. The more I see, the more I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Look far to familiar... been done before so many times..

shame its not rare doing it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Noffles wrote: »
    Look far to familiar... been done before so many times..

Looks great to me and if New super mario bros Wii is anything to go by with enough innovation in the levels it will be great.
    shame its not rare doing it

I think it's a good thing. I've played through the rare games recently and they really aren't all that good. Retro Studios are a much more talented developer and from the videos I've seen it looks way better than the Rare games.

Music in that trailer kicks so much ass

Gamespot.com post a really positive reaction to the trailer, which you should all read.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/donkeykongcountryreturns/news.html?sid=6276679&mode=previews

And The Guardian asks for our thoughts. Few interesting posts in the comments underneath the article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/sep/23/new-donkey-kong-trailer-a-nostalgic-treat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've played through the rare games recently and they really aren't all that good.

Aye.

As much as I don't like massively generalising and sweeping statements, I'm not sure Rare actually made a single good game after leaving Nintendo.

Not one.

Well.. I enjoyed Viva Pinata but that's about it, they're a shadow of themselves from the N64 days.

On the other hand Retro Studios are responsible for the excellent Metroid Prime series so it feels like DK is in good hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

As much as I don't like massively generalising and sweeping statements, I'm not sure Rare actually made a single good game after leaving Nintendo.

Viva Pinata's really good, especially the sequel. Not everybody's cup of tea obviously, but it's a very nicely presented game that clearly had a lot of love put into it. Nuts & Bolts is great too if you invest some creativity and thought into what you build for each challenge.

As for DKC Returns, I'm very optimistic! Retro definitely understand how to adapt old games in new ways.

When I said the old rare games aren't that good I meant the DKC games. Viva Pinata is excellent.

I forgot Nuts and Bolts despite playing this January. It was decent but I didn't feel it was a good fit for Banjo.

I played the old DKC games recently too and while they don't look great anymore, I found them to be as fun as ever, but my glasses may be a bit rose-tinted in their favour!

My problem is that once you get past the first world the levels become less fun and more frustrating and not fun at all.

Gamestop giving out a free banana to everyone who pre-orders the new DK game.
    Sticking your name down for Donkey Kong Country Returns will net you a soft pouch shaped like a banana, perfect for keeping your Wii Remote safe inside. The pouch even comes with a small metal clip on there, perfect for attaching it to your house keys or any other portable item you may associate with Wii Remotes and bananas.

medium.jpg

Hands up lads, who here would've just preferred a normal edible banana?!

/In before someone posts that the banana offer looks a-peel-ing

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cant wait for this, I still play DKC 1&2 on my snes emulator occasionally, the platforming is brilliantly done, nothing like nailing a level with out taking a hit or slowing down, lets hope they keep the snowstorm levels, oh and the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

More vids, this is looking sweet. Supposed to be as tough as nails too. Thank heavens!
    Once again, Retro's art design looks incredible!

Gametrailers latest trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

This has just popped to the top of my list of "early Xmas presents to myself"

Looks great, the level design promises to be top class and DK is a pretty funny character. all the advance word on it is that it is a typical nintendo AAA release, polished within an inch of its life with great mechanics and gameplay balance. Also I love me some 2d Platforming

Anyone else going to pick it up?

Latest vid here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

This has just popped to the top of my list of "early Xmas presents to myself"

Looks great, the level design promises to be top class and DK is a pretty funny character. all the advance word on it is that it is a typical nintendo AAA release, polished within an inch of its life with great mechanics and gameplay balance. Also I love me some 2d Platforming

Anyone else going to pick it up?

Latest vid here

*cue lame, predictable Retrogamer rebuttal*

zzz...

Advertisement