Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donkey Kong Country Returns!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Does it have DKC2's level designer?

That person (or team) crafted possibly the best platformer of the 16-bit era.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Does it have DKC2's level designer?

That person (or team) crafted possibly the best platformer of the 16-bit era.

I've played it and finished it a few weeks ago. Dave Sirlin is wrong, it's far from it. A massive improvement over the average DKC it may be but it's still no where near the pinnacle of the genre like Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Rocket Knight Adventures etc.
    corcaigh07 wrote: »
    *cue lame, predictable Retrogamer rebuttal*

zzz...

Eh, it's by retro studios so I'm very excited by this since they are a much better developer than the Rare team that made the DKC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Eh, it's by retro studios so I'm very excited by this since they are a much better developer than the Rare team that made the DKC games.

Horse**** :pac:

Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Donkey Kong Country Returns

Vs

Blast Corps

easy tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blast corp and Jet Force Gemini are the only 2 N64 Rare games I'd actually rate and have held up and i didn't enjoy them nearly as much as I enjoyed Metroid Prime 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

DKCR threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The reviews are streaming in! All I can say is Kudo Retro, Job well done, currently being well very well received by critics. Definitely saving this one for Christmas.:D

Eurogamer :
    9/10
    IGN :
    9/10
    Game Informer :
    9.5/10
    Joystiq :
    4.5/5
    Gamesrader :
    8/10
    Destructoid :
    10/10

I'm going to stop there, as eventually Metacritic will have caught up with me. As of now the lazy bastards only have Game Informer Listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

"Donkey Kong Country Returns will be released in Europe on December 3, 2010"

Sounds like a great Xmas present. Although I could really use it now. Haven't played a new game in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Delighted to read that its challenging, I really enjoyed NSMBW but found to easy over all, DKCR is a week on purchase for me.

So its finally out tomorrow. Has anyone heard anything about pricing?

Edit: €50 in Gamestop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Mr E wrote: »

Father Christmas has said she he is getting this for me for Christmas, better be right or there will be tears before bedtime. Looks brilliant. Sounds like it gets tough near the end though, which might be a problem for my decidedly "casual" level of skill these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

super fun game, though as mentioned it certainly gets a bit tricky in spots

definitely worth the price though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Mr E wrote: »

€45 in HMV on Graton st. this morning.

€45 in Xtravision, still €50 in Gamestop.

Any love for DKCR? I'm up to the 4th world now, and its a great game. The only thing that annoyed me (to start off with) was shoehorning the wii controls for doing ground pounds/rolls/blows. I'm used to it now, but I'd love if there was a way to map it to a button instead. They have a control option to use the nunchuk+wiimote, but they still insist on the wiimote waggle for those 3 tasks....

Other than that, I'm loving it. Some of the levels are very challenging (and I'm less than half way through the game). After building up a stack of 25 lives in the first few worlds, I'm down to 6 left now. It's going to take a long time to find all of the secrets too.

Retro Studios did a bloody good job with this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Plan on getting it soon. The snow and ice have kept me away from the shops so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looks great to me and if New super mario bros Wii is anything to go by with enough innovation in the levels it will be great.

I think it's a good thing. I've played through the rare games recently and they really aren't all that good. Retro Studios are a much more talented developer and from the videos I've seen it looks way better than the Rare games.

They done such a fantastic job with the metroid prime trilogy and I have every faith they'll meet the high expectations set by the SNES games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Beat the first world, and was playing with my 5 year old cousin. Ending up carrying Diddy Kong most of the way, as my little cousin kept getting herself killed. Great fun overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Swore blind I'd NEVER buy a Wii, but I found out about DKCR last night and I've just ordered it from Amazon (£34.46) and ordered Mario All Stars while I was at it. Can't wait to play it.

Now to get a damn Wii...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Swore blind I'd NEVER buy a Wii, but I found out about DKCR last night and I've just ordered it from Amazon (£34.46) and ordered Mario All Stars while I was at it. Can't wait to play it.

Now to get a damn Wii...
    hmv have some great deals with wii consoles at the minute. i got new black wii, new super mario, mario galaxy 2, mario allstars and donkey kong the new one for 209

Wow... that's great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

hmv have some great deals with wii consoles at the minute. i got new black wii, new super mario, mario galaxy 2, mario allstars and donkey kong the new one for 209

Fair feckin' play for letting me know. That bundle would be perfect. Just cancelled my order with Amazon and will check out HMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

On the bargain alerts forum that DKCR is available for €45 in HMV stores with a €10 HMV voucher thrown in for good measure.

Fair feckin' play for letting me know. That bundle would be perfect. Just cancelled my order with Amazon and will check out HMV.

It's a bundle for 209 and manager lete swap FIFA and smash bros from the bundle for other games but u have to ask for the deal like that I was in hmv newbridge ask for andy he is a gentleman IMO remberguys haggle for a good deal and u can get bargains

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have bought a shed load of games recently...COD:BO, Fallout NV, Halo Reach being the big hard hitters of the year...

But you know what I am playing most...updated versions of classics-Donkey Kong Returns and PacMan CE2. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

This new Donkey Cong game is just brilliant.

I'm not much of a fan of the Wii but seeing as I always had a bit of a grá for Donkey Kong I decided to get it.

It's actually a really difficult platformer and it's definitely the best I've ever played aside from Super Mario World on the Snes which will never be beaten. Mind you I haven't played any Mario games on the Wii.

The only thing I disliked about the game is the whole blowing thing that you have to do now and then. Other than that the graphics are amazing and the sound is class.

10 / 10.

This new Donkey Cong game is just brilliant.

I'm not much of a fan of the Wii but seeing as I always had a bit of a grá for Donkey Kong I decided to get it.

It's actually a really difficult platformer and it's definitely the best I've ever played aside from Super Mario World on the Snes which will never be beaten. Mind you I haven't played any Mario games on the Wii.

The only thing I disliked about the game is the whole blowing thing that you have to do now and then. Other than that the graphics are amazing and the sound is class.

10 / 10.
    agree strongly that donkey kong is class fantastically made great gameplay and difficult at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Is this back in stock anywhere yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Amazon are saying they have it in stock.

I absolutely loved this game, it's so much fun and stays true to the spirit of the originals. It's very difficult in places but I really enjoyed the challenge. I've played through it twice
    and got 200% second time around
    but would still happily play through it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No where in Waterford has it back yet, it apparently doesn't even make it to the shelves here. Dying to get it, and i've a €100 voucher for GameStop and all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Got it in Gamestop in cork yesterday so it's back in stock anyway. Looking forward to playing it during the weekend!

Advertisement