Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower tripping

Options
  • 18-09-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I have had 2 electric showers installed in the house for about 7 years. We never run them at the same time. Today, I turned one on to take a shower and it tripped the switch. I turned off the shower and went to reset the trip but it immediatley trips again. There is no other applicances on.

Any ideas? It the box at the top of the power cord fused?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you can try running it cold-might indicate it's the 'heater tank' at fault

prob need a sparkie anyhow

you should have a shower controller generally for 12kVA supplies as there's no diversity applicable for 2 showers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is there the potential to run the two showers at the same time? IF so, thats not very safe and you should get a non priority shower unit fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Is there the potential to run the two showers at the same time? IF so, thats not very safe and you should get a non priority shower unit fitted.

I would`t of thought it very dangerous but it should have one alright, its a requirement is`t it.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I would`t of thought it very dangerous but it should have one alright, its a requirement is`t it.

ya -it's in the rules assuming supply is standard 12kVA

azzeretti wrote: »
    I have had 2 electric showers installed in the house for about 7 years. We never run them at the same time. Today, I turned one on to take a shower and it tripped the switch. I turned off the shower and went to reset the trip but it immediatley trips again. There is no other applicances on.

Any ideas? It the box at the top of the power cord fused?
    Is it tripping the MCB or the RCD. A seperate RCD usually has a blue switch on it so is it that or the MCB, but anyway try m cebee`s test of putting the shower onto cold first, and then switch on to see if it might be the heating element.

The pullchord switch has no fuse in it.

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »
    ya -it's in the rules assuming supply is standard 12kVA

A curiosity question now, how is it rated a 12kva supply if the consumer main fuse is 63 amps and esb cutout one is probably 80amps, and 12kva would probably be 52 amps or so. As in what criteria is used to say its a 12kva supply, the 25/16 concentric cable size in maybe?

Or a diversity thing.

A curiosity question now, how is it rated a 12kva supply if the consumer main fuse is 63 amps and esb cutout one is probably 80amps, and 12kva would probably be 52 amps or so. As in what criteria is used to say its a 12kva supply, the 25/16 concentric cable size in maybe?

Or a diversity thing.

i assume it's MIC or max demand-same thing afaik
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/business-customers/mic/mic.jsp

It is the capacity that ESB Networks commits itself to deliver to your premises- that statement prob sums it up

roundy will correct me if i'm wrong:D

M cebee wrote: »
    i assume it's MIC or max demand-same thing afaik
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/business-customers/mic/mic.jsp

Yes looks like that alright, maybe i should of asked when i was a yellow van apprentice, a long distant fading memory.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Any ideas?
    The chances are that it is a problem with the shower itself.

Turn off the local isolator and see if it is possible to reset at the board. If it is still not possible then the problem is not the shower unit itself. At least you will have narrowed down the problem a bit. This helps when phoning the electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I agree that its not very dangerous, but it certainly wouldn't be the safest. Two 8.5KW showers have the potential to pull about 70A running at full tilt, this is 7A over the 63 on the main fuse. Not exactly ideal

• Advertisement

I agree that its not very dangerous, but it certainly wouldn't be the safest. Two 8.5KW showers have the potential to pull about 70A running at full tilt, this is 7A over the 63 on the main fuse. Not exactly ideal

No i`d agree with you alright, certainly not to be recommended.

Advertisement