Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

identify a hard drive connection

• 18-09-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

first off apologies for the crappy pictures, don't have my decent camera with me.

story is probably a familiar one to you all by now, brother's laptop (5 year dell inspiron) is stuck in a continuous boot, it will show the xp windows loading screen, blue screen for a split second and then restart before i can even see the blue screen error.

so i thought grand i'll lash his drive into an external caddy grab the data, and that'd be that.

so i take the hard drive out of the laptop and confront with this connection

IMG_0505_thumb.jpg

IMG_0502_thumb.jpg

it looks like a standard IDE connection but with a thin bit of silicon sticking out between to two rows of holes.

anyone know what's my best plan of attack is here, again when asked my brother had he a back up i got that, "backup sure i'll never need one of them" :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Looks like an adaptor fitted onto the HDD connectors.

You've still got a cover on the HDD, take it off and maybe see if that sheds any light onto things. Usually its just an adaptor that pops off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

From the site below it appears the connection is an DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra) but as to what you'd use to get the data off it I'm not sure.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Toshiba_60GB_SuperSlim_MK6026GAX__Hard_Drive/HDD2194/p/394084

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

what model laptop is it, type of inspiron?

i'd try booting from a live cd, ubuntu or something
    and see if that lets me back up the files to an external disc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Can't see it properly from the pics but some old dell laptops had adapters on the IDE connection. Try to gently pull it straight out be careful not to bend the pins.

As for the loop repeatedly press f8 after the dell logo. If there is an option to disable automatic restarts.

Restart and see what error you get.

You can then try to start in safe mode. Keep pressing f8 after dell logo then try to start in safe mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Also, have you tried booting in safe mode?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dpmurray

Had the same issue with and old Dell inspiron a while back- there was a black plastic adapter on the ide pins From your picture it seems there's one on your too. Just wiggle it straight off and you'll have the ide pins exposed and pop it then into your caddy.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you're all geniusses or is that genuii.

it was an adapter on the standard IDE pins and also booting in with a LiveCD allows me to get access to the files, going to go with LiveCD as it's easier and get to use a nicer OS making the job somewhat more pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

try running chkdisk as this maybe all you need to do to get it working again
    also run the diagnostics by hitting f12 on bootup, handy tip is to select non interactive tests so you can leave it running without having to test the keyboard etc

Advertisement