Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you recommend a Galway City auctioneer?

Options
  • 18-09-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

A good friend of mine is putting his (Galway City) house on the market shortly. He is seeking recommendations for an auctioneer (Estate Agent). If anyone has had a negative experience with an auctioneer or an auctioneering group, could you please let me know by Private Message. I will treat such information completely confidentially.

My friend would want an honest, efficient, hard-working Auctioneer - not someone who takes Saturdays off, as that is the day most people are free to view houses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Stay away from Micheal Crowe. He'll rob you blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

John Mannion, his office is behind Calbro Motor factors on Tuam Rd, found him a good guy to deal with, when buying a house...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

John Quinn is straightforward to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    John Quinn is straightforward to deal with.

I disagree strongly. I would like to share my experiences (yeah, that is plural) but I'd run the risk of locking the thread or getting banned.

I bought my house from O'Donnelan and Joyce who were just OK. When I was looking, I definitely got good vibes from Paddy Flynn of Galway Real Estate and Mullerys.

I didn't care for Sherry Fitzgerald, Rooneys or Collerans for a multitude or reasons. Nothing unprofessional about them but I just didn't like their style.

If I was to put my house on the market tomorrow, I'd probably go with Galway Real Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

Thanks all.

Ernie Bert, I've PMd you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

snakes the lot of them.
    just make sure when it comes to viewings/offers that your friend gets a few of his friends to call and verify you aren't being fed a pack of lies. My parents did this and agent told the friend the house was sold, when it was actually just one low offer - prob from some buddy of the agent. Never believe a word from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

pretty bad experiences with GBP and DNG Oughterrard. And we were the potential BUYERs - in a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CJ1

Could not recommend Collerans enough, bought and sold with them and was completely satisfied on both counts, i even called Don a few months ago for advice about potentially buying in Dublin and he was more than willing to give free advice over the phone, although it was nothing to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

From a buyers perspective: We have been looking for over a year (unsuccessfully)

O'Donnellan & Joyce: all agents we dealt with didn't seem interested and couldn't answer questions at all. We made an offer on a house they are selling and had to chase the agent for answers. After our first offer we were chasing him for almost 4 weeks to get an answer. He didn't even get back to us when we made a FINAL offer (90% of the asking price). We were told we were the only ones who had even made an offer and the house is still for sale. We decided not to view another house because he is the agent dealing with the sale.

Galway Real Estate (Paddy Flynn): Nice guy, very realistic, good ideas from him. Good impression.

John Quinn: Also very realistic and straight-talking, almost to candid. Good for a buyer. I'm not sure I would be happy as a seller.

Michelle Burke: Very nice and proactive. The only agent ever to enquire about our status. When she found out that we are approved and not in a chain, she followed up and suggested other properties.

Property Partners: Didn't show for an arranged viewing and didn't contact us, although they had both our mobile numbers. Didn't bother them again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

Thanks, everyone, for the answers. I'd appreciate it if other posters could keep up the feedback. PMs also welcome.

Michelle Burke gave me two completely contradictory stories in relation to a scheme of houses she was selling in Spiddal. One minute, she told me categorically and emphatically that only 5 houses were left, and she gave me the numbers of each of those houses; five minutes later, she reluctantly admitted that several other houses were available too and gave me their numbers. Her marketing is good.

I would have grave concerns about Galway Bay Properties.

John Quinn I have found to be hard-working and straight.

I wish O'Donnellan and Joyce would have returned my calls after I had made an offer on two properties they were selling, but their advertising/marketing is second to none.

I have found Paddy Flynn of Galway Real Estate good, but he doesn't have a great website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 billybobonline

Would have to agree with above posters really.
    Have dealt with Paddy Flynn before, sound fella, no BS from him but their site is complete crap, it couldn't cost that much to do a new one.
    And Mullerys also were very professional in both selling and buying from over the years.
    Haven't direct experience with O Donnell and Joyce but heard from more than one friend that they are not as hot as they would make you believe.
    I'm sure there ar others out there though that would be good but from my personal experience either Mullerys or Galway Estate would be a safe bet. They've been around for a good while now too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Car Electronic

Would have to agree with above posters really.
    Have dealt with Paddy Flynn before, sound fella, no BS from him but their site is complete crap, it couldn't cost that much to do a new one.
    And Mullerys also were very professional in both selling and buying from over the years.
    Haven't direct experience with O Donnell and Joyce but heard from more than one friend that they are not as hot as they would make you believe.
    I'm sure there ar others out there though that would be good but from my personal experience either Mullerys or Galway Estate would be a safe bet. They've been around for a good while now too I suppose.
    I think that Paddy does not have a pc.
    He has Prices How twenty years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Please do not revive years old threads

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement