Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait, I actually played that?

Options
  • 18-09-2010 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

It's a phenomenon I find myself being subjected to more and more as I look back through my collection of old games. Looking back at childhood favorites, guilty pleasures or just old school classics and being unable to fathom how the **** I even played them. Not because they're bad, oh no, but because they've just become so completely alien to me. Like alot of boardsies I subsist on a diet of Xbox 360 games primarily, with the odd Wii and PS3 exclusive tossed in for good measure (I play first and third person shooters in other words). However, when reminiscing about my two full 150 hour playthroughs of say, Skies of Arcadia, or Final Fantasy XIII I draw up a complete blank. Hell, even the notion of having played Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, it all seems to mesmerisingly distant.

Any of the rest of you ever have that "wtf I played that?" moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

I dug out both Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime this morning for a quick session on my gamecube. Metroid Prime still plays remarkably well in comparison to todays games. Mario Sunshine much less so, it pales in comparison to the latest Galaxy titles on the Wii.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

metroid prime > 360 games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Extreme Violence and International Karate on the Amiga !!

ikplus_2.png
    ExtremeViolence.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DliveMike wrote: »
    However, when reminiscing about my two full 150 hour playthroughs of say, Skies of Arcadia, or Final Fantasy XIII I draw up a complete blank. Hell, even the notion of having played Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, it all seems to mesmerisingly distant.

Any of the rest of you ever have that "wtf I played that?" moment?

I suppose it really depends how old you are. None of the games you've mentioned are that old. Perhaps Skies of Arcadia, but from the other games you played I guess you had the Gamecube version and not the older Dreamcast one. (which still isn't that old itself!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Gamecube games still hold up pretty well tbh, especially timeless classics like Metroid Prime!

I used to play the crap out of a game called Mercenary Force on the Gameboy. Not because it was any good, but because it was pretty much the only game I had at the time...:o

The games that I really really really love tend to get dragged out for a quick blast quite regularly, so they never seem all that distant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ikkie plah or IK+ as normal people know it was one of my favourite games. The sheer joy when your the middle dude and you land the double roundhouse right from the start (altho technically easy considering the hitpoints) :D

Also that Balls game was ****ing evil.

Playing Silkworm online the other week and sucking balls at it reminded me that when it was one of 4 games i had i was awesome at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Myself and a friend were playing 2 player Silkworm on his c64 last weekend. Was great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

tman wrote: »
    I used to play the crap out of a game called Mercenary Force on the Gameboy. Not because it was any good, but because it was pretty much the only game I had at the time...:o

I'd forgotten that one even exsisted untill I read your post. I was in the same boat with Mercenary Force, as the only other games I had were Tetris, and Fortress Of Fear (both of which were already played to hell and back at the time). Got it simply because it was cheap (still took a few week's pocket money though), and played it to death. I was always crap at it though, so I never got too far.

Advertisement