Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mbps vs actual download speed

• 18-09-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Hi guys kinda new to all of this so wanted to ask a couple of questions. I recently upgraded to UPC 30 MB and this is the current speed I am getting.

958216019.png
    Now I know the download speed can drop at busy times etc but the problem is that the above speed is what I am clocking at the moment yet when I am downloading actual files they are only downloading at 127-200 kb/s. It's taking a few minutes to download 30-40 Mb files. Is this normal or is it just that my netbook is not capable of achieving higher speeds?
    Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Asmodean wrote: »
    Is this normal or is it just that my netbook is not capable of achieving higher speeds?

Netbook? Are you using wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I am using an NB100 that is connected directly to the modem itself, but I use my girlfriends new HP laptop also plugged in and the DL speeds are equally as bad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

where are you downloading from?
    Try download a large file from ftp.heanet.ie and what speeds does it show you are getting?

Just FYI, when you download a file they are normally in the form of MegaByte (MB). Your broadband speed is measured in Megabit (Mb) (note differences in the capital 'b').

1 MegaByte = 8 Megabits.

Ring UPC and tell them your problem, ring them on 1908. Looks like they didn't upgrade you download speed just your upload speed.

Try speedtest on http://speedtest.magnet.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Asmodean wrote: »
    I am using an NB100 that is connected directly to the modem itself, but I use my girlfriends new HP laptop also plugged in and the DL speeds are equally as bad.
    If you download a file from HEAnet or from MSDN.com for a 30Megabit per second connection you should be downloading from these sites at 3.75 MB/s as a maximum the majority of web sites can't upload files to you this fast though with the 14Mb/s connection you had from your speed test you should download at a maximum 1.75MB/s .

I would recommend downloading from here it's a download from HEAnet 99MB so you should be able to see what you are really downloading at.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/helios/R/eclipse-java-helios-win32.zip

If you actually download that file and then multiply it by 8 that's the actual speed you are getting.

Hope it helps anymore questions dont hesitate to ask :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Thanks so much for all the help lads.
    where are you downloading from?

It was from hotfile, on a premium account.
    I would recommend downloading from here it's a download from HEAnet 99MB so you should be able to see what you are really downloading at.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/dow...lios-win32.zip

Just downloaded that file, thanks for the link. :) It took about 20/30 secs, which is the kind of speed I would be happy with. So it looks like its the actual sites that I'm downloading from rather than the line itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ya I'd say it's just the sites your downloading from then

Advertisement