Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence refused

Options
  • 18-09-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

I have a mate who has just had his fire arms licences refused shotty and a .220, cops raided his house last year he had a bit of weed for his own use also he was looking after a mates air gun while he was on holiday he also had cartridges in his shed when it went to court last week the super was there and in the cops statements there was a lot of contradiction among them in the end all he got was a 450 euro fine but he got a letter the other day from the super and it said in the light of public and your own safaty i will not be renewing your licences.
    So if any of you fellow shooters out there have any advice your input is greatly appreciable please no time wasters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

So he broke the law having an illegal substance, was in possession of an unlicensed (for him) firearm.

My advice, pick smarter friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

To be fair he was cought with drugs and an unlicenced firearm, Id say he got off lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

lee70 wrote: »
    I have a mate who has just had his fire arms licences refused shotty and 220 cops raided his house last year he had a bit of weed for his own use also he was looking after a mates air gun while he was on holiday he also had cartridges in his shed when it went to court last week the super was there and in the cops statements there was a lot of contradiction among them in the end all he got was a 450 euro fine but he got a letter the other day from the super and it said in the light of public and your own safaty i will not be renewing your licences.
    So if any of you fellow shooters out there have any advice your input is greatly appreciable please no time wasters.
    Tough look on that one. The cartridges in the shed and the weed bit did the damage. Never heard of them raiding a house unless a report of dealing or growing was alleged. I'd say only for the cartrides and having an unlicenced firearm on his premises they would have let it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

its his own fault!!What did he expect to happen after breaking 2 firearms laws,and being caught with drugs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Don't ever mix ANY drugs & guns IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

holding a air rifle for a friend?? who ever owns that rifle should lose their licence aswell,, unless im reading it wrong 220 gaurds will not raid a house over a small bit of weed, so he either got reported or was at more than you think, he got of very lightly to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

I think he means a shotgun and a .220 swift perhaps ?

Sorry OP, your friend brought it on himself, A.\ Illegal Psychotropic Substances in his possession B.\ Holding a firearm he didnt have a license etc. as one of the other lads said...He got away lightly - and to be honest - I doubt he'll ever get licensed again for and type of firearm in this state again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

jap gt wrote: »
    holding a air rifle for a friend?? who ever owns that rifle should lose their licence aswell,, unless im reading it wrong 220 gaurds will not raid a house over a small bit of weed, so he either got reported or was at more than you think, he got of very lightly to be honest

You dont need a licence for an airgun do you?

You dont need a licence for an airgun do you?

if its over one joule you do, although reading back the op doesnt make clean if its an air rifle or an airsoft gun

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

and 220 cops raided his house last year

Thats a lot of cops!

anyway hes broken drugs and firearms laws in the past.
    i'm quite happy he was refused.
    i doubt theres much he can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Reminds me of a time when I worked in a gunstore in California.

A guy comes in looking at pistols.

He mentioned that he had a criminal conviction and asked if it would prohibit him from owning a firearm there.

In general any felony conviction means no guns, but there are some exceptions, and he could apply to the Courts to have his rights reinstated.

I asked him what the convictions were for.

"Armed robbery and possession of drugs with intent to supply".... was the reply. :eek:

Enough said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Tell him not to plan any holidays in the USA either.

P.

Or Aussieland afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

A few other ones that can see you loosing your license.
    public order offences involving alcohol,
    Fighting.

I thought this was a wind up to be honest, what would you expect?

a €450 fine and a criminal conviction (Convict and fine)

enough said by others btw Canada is also out for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 LongRifle

I have a mate who has just had his fire arms licences refused shotty and a .220, cops raided his house last year he had a bit of weed for his own use also he was looking after a mates air gun while he was on holiday he also had cartridges in his shed when it went to court last week the super was there and in the cops statements there was a lot of contradiction among them in the end all he got was a 450 euro fine but he got a letter the other day from the super and it said in the light of public and your own safaty i will not be renewing your licences.

Sounds like a case of the system actually working for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

come on lads i asked for a bit of advice.
    I bet theres not one of us that hasen't done something wrong in our life i know i'm no saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

In all fairness, what your mate got done for may not have been serious in his eyes but to the law, its a VERY big deal.
    Drugs and unlicensed firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

Tell your friend to quit the weed,dont store firearms for other people when they are not licensed to him,theres not really anything else he can do unless the offense occured years ago and he can prove hes changed his ways.

I'm curious as to what was done about the owner of the Air Rifle*. He let an unlicensed individual "look after it" for him.

*Presuming the OP meant air rifle when he said Air gun.

I bet theres not one of us that hasen't done something wrong in our life i know i'm no saint.

There are "levels" of wrong for want of a better way to put it.

Drugs & firearms are a bad mix !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Nobody here knows your friend, so the advice you're getting is based purely on the facts. He was in possession of drugs and an unlicensed firearm. The second one might not have been taken as seriously without the first. Most Gardai will not get too upset about a lad being careful enough about his firearm that he makes sure it's not left in an empty house, but once you cross the line, the book gets thrown. And you have to ask, why was he raided in the first place. Gardai don't usually raid upright citizen's houses.

Your friend may apply to have his firearms back five years after his conviction, providing he's kept his nose clean in the meantime. Even then, he may still have to go to court to get them back and there's no guarantee.

If it's advice you're looking for: Once you hold a firearms licence, you need to be absolutely squeaky clean. Any crossing the line and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Lee,

I think you have gotten all the advice you can.

Firearms License holders are one of the few groups in the state - other groups including members of the Gardai - who are proven (not assumed) to be law abiding.

That is a pre-requisite to getting a license.

Your 'friend' has been proven to NOT be law abiding and is therefore NOT allowed to be licensed. In fairness the 'seriousness' of the offence is not really a factor in the decision (although in this instance it is very bad)

Those of us who have done NOTHING wrong and are extremely careful to not even be associated with anyone who has, are not going to try to help you find a loophole for someone who has been of sufficient interest to the Gardai that they raided his home, found drugs (they don't care who they were for) and unlicensed firearms.

If he wishes to be licensed again, he will need to ask the Gardai, under what circumstances that will be allowed and then meet those criteria.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bananaman wrote: »
    Lee,

If he wishes to be licensed again, he will need to ask the Gardai, under what circumstances that will be allowed and then meet those criteria.

B'Man

And even then IF he keeps clean for evermore there is always a lingering suspicion with the PTB,that can be brought up when it suits them to cast asperations on his chacter.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

In isolation I don't think these are a massive wrong.

However, one must ask a series of questions. Why did the Gardai raid the house to start with, one assumes they had some for of warrant which they need a reason to get.

Possession of hash for personal use is not something they bring you to court over.

The minding of the air rifle is interesting. I would have thought I could store a friends gun in my safe. But I would expect it to be disassembled with a major component stored elsewhere or a trigger lock. Or in this instance was it just in a cupboard? did the .220 storage meet the new regs?

But now lets link them together, the gardai raided the house on some basis, found drugs, an unlicensed firearm, and possibly dangerous storage of munitions. All of this does amount to breaking the law, ergo no guns for your mate.

One would also note that this does not stop him reapplying, pleading with the super for yada yada yada

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

maglite wrote: »
    . I would have thought I could store a friends gun in my safe. But I would expect it to be disassembled with a major component stored elsewhere or a trigger lock.

The only way for someone to store a firearm belnging to another person is for that person to be licensed on the same firearm. Even having a component part is a no-no.

The other issue that arises is why did his mate need to store the firearm in his mates? If he has an Air Rifle that requires a license he falls under the first level of security for a rifle and must have a safe as a minimum standard of security. Did he have a safe? If so why not store it there? If he didn't how did he get the license without adquate security? Why not store it at an RFD if he was going to be away for a while?

All moot points now i suppose.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Bananaman wrote: »
    Lee,

Firearms License holders are one of the few groups in the state - other groups including members of the Gardai - who are proven (not assumed) to be law abiding

B'Man

We're also one of the few groups to be proven to be sane, e.g medical references, etc., on FCA1's. :D:D
    (Though reading some of the posts on these boards I sometimes wonder!!

The OP sounds like BS to me, (220 gardai,:eek::rolleyes:) etc. A raid needs a huge amount of effort, background, paperwork, resources. Then a search warrant must be applied for, due cause to be proven before a judge, so even if the story is true, the OP's mate is a no ordinary applicant and I for one am quite happy he was refused.
    P.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............. had his fire arms licences refused shotty and a .220, cops raided his house ................

I think it was a .220 swift rifle that was refused along with a shotgun. Not 220 Gardai that raided the house.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

yea the op was edited to add a . making it .220 and also making a lot more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And even then IF he keeps clean for evermore there is always a lingering suspicion with the PTB,that can be brought up when it suits them to cast asperations on his chacter.
    To be fair Grizzly, the Gardai generally don't cast aspersions on people's characters, so much as they are required by law to make judgements about their character and often to stand over those judgements in a court of law. Given that, remembering past records isn't something untoward, it's just their duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Also, I think that the OP's gotten the best advice he's going to get, especially in rrpc, B'man and ezri's excellent posts, so I'll close this now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement