Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford to lose RTE Television

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

patff wrote: »
    I don't understand the technical stuff on here so far.

I get four channels, RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4, using an exterior aerial in the attic.

Is this service coming to an end? I don't want f--king satellite TV. I only watch champs league and "Shameless". I pay my licence, why can't this be left as it is.

Will I have to install something? For 3-4 hours TV per week?

I'll bet this decision was made by some knobhead in Dublin:mad:

No offence but you're a prime example of the confused masses-basically Irish TV is going digital,all you will need is a compatible TV or box that your ariel plugs into and away you go.No need to panic,the switchover is a while away yet.The UK is going through the switchover presently (their's is called FREEVIEW).No need to get technical about our system and what they use.Basically you WON'T need a satellite system if your reception is good now it will be fine after the switch to digital.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I have installed many Aerial's along the coast From Castletown to Blackwater for Irish Analouge TV as i said i dont tune the DTT test if the tv has Mpeg4. These aerials are fitted either on chimneys or gable ends of house's. None of these aerials are pointed at Wales and none of them are getting interferance from Wales. Again i will say that any Aerial i have installed north of Tara Hill are pointing to the Kippure Transmitter and all the Aerials that i Installed south of Tara hill are pointing at Mt leinster. What is happening around Courtown and all along the coast is that houses have 3 Aerial's on poles, The top Aerial was/is for English tv {Should be removed} the middle Aerial is red tipped lowband UHF{TV3andTG4}and the bottom Aerial is a Vhf {RTE1 and RTE2}. These aerials are all combined together and that's where a lot of this problem arises from. So if you have only a rabbits ears indoors for an Aerial. Then all you will need is 1 Aerial a Wide band or a Grid Aerial pointed at Mt Leinster to get your test signal back.

Mt leinster is the main Transmitter but when DTT is up and running there will be more Transmitters in co Wexford.

Forth mountain in Barntown outside Wexford town,
    Monasootagh hill outside Camolin easily receivable fromCourtown.
    Clonattin Hill Graveyard in Gorey
    Arklow that might cover north of the county
    Suirvalley in kilkenny. thats certain parts of Newross coverd

So infact i would say that co Wexford seems to be well covered for the DTT switchover.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89_Network_Limited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

scaller wrote: »
    I have installed many Aerial's along the coast From Castletown to Blackwater for Irish Analouge TV as i said i dont tune the DTT test if the tv has Mpeg4. These aerials are fitted either on chimneys or gable ends of house's. None of these aerials are pointed at Wales and none of them are getting interferance from Wales. Again i will say that any Aerial i have installed north of Tara Hill are pointing to the Kippure Transmitter and all the Aerials that i Installed south of Tara hill are pointing at Mt leinster. What is happening around Courtown and all along the coast is that houses have 3 Aerial's on poles, The top Aerial was/is for English tv {Should be removed} the middle Aerial is red tipped lowband UHF{TV3andTG4}and the bottom Aerial is a Vhf {RTE1 and RTE2}. These aerials are all combined together and that's where a lot of this problem arises from. So if you have only a rabbits ears indoors for an Aerial. Then all you will need is 1 Aerial a Wide band or a Grid Aerial pointed at Mt Leinster to get your test signal back.

Mt leinster is the main Transmitter but when DTT is up and running there will be more Transmitters in co Wexford.

Forth mountain in Barntown outside Wexford town,
    Monasootagh hill outside Camolin easily receivable fromCourtown.
    Clonattin Hill Graveyard in Gorey
    Arklow that might cover north of the county
    Suirvalley in kilkenny. thats certain parts of Newross coverd
    Arthurstown, County Wexford That's Harry.c coverd down in the south West of the county if Mt Leinster can't be received in certain spots.

So infact i would say that co Wexford seems to be well covered for the DTT switchover.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89_Network_Limited

Scaller, you seem to be at odds with your colleagues on the terrestrial forum.
    The thinking there would appear to be that Mt. Leinster will have to reduce power to prevent interference in Wales, this means that I would have to install a high gain aerial, possibly amplified, to receive RTE here in Courtown. As a result, the signal from Preseli will be drawn in through the back of the aerial and will blot out RTE. which is where I came in.
    Are you saying this is not the case?

bmaxi wrote: »
    The thinking there would appear to be that Mt. Leinster will have to reduce power to prevent interference in Wales, this means that I would have to install a high gain aerial, possibly amplified, to receive RTE here in Courtown. As a result, the signal from Preseli will be drawn in through the back of the aerial and will blot out RTE. which is where I came in.

Bmaxi you are the one who is at ODDS with ME, Zerks and Harry.c
    We are telling people not to panic
    What you were getting was a signal on a cheap indoor rabbits ears in Courtown around 40km from mt Leinster as the crow flys. Of course you will loose signal when it was reduced. Why don't you try what i have told you and get yourself a wideband aerial outside and point it at Leinster. Or better still instead of reading what the guys on terrestrial forum are saying why dont you Contact Mylie Redmond {Mylie is the most experienced Aerial rigger in the County} he is the guy who installed Black Briars Aerials .And has just finished another Aerial setup in TRAMORE co Waterford that was mentioned on the Terristrial thread. It was suggested to you in the past to get your Aerials on your chimney looked at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61862503&postcount=37 or http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61878394&postcount=39 You should do instead of using a Rabbits ears.
    Mylie dosent live to far from Courtown. Ask Mylie would Preseli be drawn in through the back of the single aerial and blot out RTE.
    I JUST have and Mylie asked me why was i questioning myself. He has just said the same as what i have is that the main problem is people still have English aerials and Irish Aerials combined. He said that English TV Aerials along the coast should be Removed If RTENL decide to stay transmitting on RFch45 in the Future.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Why not simply turn the ariels pointed at Wales around towards Mt. Leinster,a cheap solution for those that don't feel the need to spend a few quid and get the job done properly.I'm not in any panic over UK DTT and RTE DTT-I'm too far away from the coast to worry about overspill and Irish DTT isn't even officially up and running yet.As Scaller etc. said- IT'S ONLY A TEST SIGNAL.

planning.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Harry.c

bmaxi wrote: »
    Bmaxi,

Scaller,s not at odds with anyone, Let me ask you a question, Why should RTE reduce power from it,s Mnt Leinster transmitter and risk not covering parts of the east coast, just so people can recieve a ' spill over' from England, which technicially people in Ireland shouldn,t be recieving?

Bmaxi you are the one who is at ODDS with ME, Zerks and Harry.c
    We are telling people not to panic
    What you were getting was a signal on a cheap indoor rabbits ears in Courtown around 40km from mt Leinster as the crow flys. Of course you will loose signal when it was reduced. Why don't you try what i have told you and get yourself a wideband aerial outside and point it at Leinster. Or better still instead of reading what the guys on terrestrial forum are saying why dont you Contact Mylie Redmond {Mylie is the most experienced Aerial rigger in the County} he is the guy who installed Black Briars Aerials .And has just finished another Aerial setup in TRAMORE co Waterford that was mentioned on the Terristrial thread. It was suggested to you in the past to get your Aerials on your chimney looked at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61862503&postcount=37 or http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61878394&postcount=39 You should do instead of using a Rabbits ears.
    Mylie dosent live to far from Courtown. Ask Mylie would Preseli be drawn in through the back of the single aerial and blot out RTE.
    I JUST have and Mylie asked me why was i questioning myself. He has just said the same as what i have is that the main problem is people still have English aerials and Irish Aerials combined. He said that English TV Aerials along the coast should be Removed If RTENL decide to stay transmitting on RFch45 in the Future.

It was not my aerial I was enquiring for someone else at the time when the analogue tv switch off was starting. I don't have an aerial for Uk tv.
    Is Myles Redmond suggesting everybody goes Satellite or just not combine aerials?

Harry.c wrote: »
    Bmaxi,

Scaller,s not at odds with anyone, Let me ask you a question, Why should RTE reduce power from it,s Mnt Leinster transmitter and risk not covering parts of the east coast, just so people can recieve a ' spill over' from England, which technicially people in Ireland shouldn,t be recieving?

Where, in any of my posts, do you think you read that?

Mylie is doing what us other Installers/Riggers are and that is fitting Aerials for Irish and a Freesat for English. He even thanked me for recommending to young Myles the new terristrial meter that they use.{ AS Mylie said that at the moment the trouble is that people have aerials still up pointing at Wales combined with a GroupA red tip and VHF pointing at Mt leinster}. UHF Group A RFChannel: 21-37 red tip. This DTT test signal is RFCh45. Some people around the county might have to get their Aerials changed to wideband Group B even if or when RTENL move Back to 39.

Mylie is doing what us other Installers/Riggers are and that is fitting Aerials for Irish and a Freesat for English. He even thanked me for recommending to young Myles the new terristrial meter that they use.{ AS Mylie said that at the moment the trouble is that people have aerials still up pointing at Wales combined with a GroupA red tip and VHF pointing at Mt leinster}. UHF Group A RFChannel: 21-37 red tip. This DTT test signal is RFCh45. Some people around the county might have to get their Aerials changed to wideband Group B even if or when RTENL move Back to 39.

I've asked for a comment over on the terrestrial forum but Black Briar is away at the moment. There seems to be some conflict of opinion on this.

• Advertisement

I asked an other Installer/Rigger today {Noel Bergin with 30 Years expierance in the buisness} he has said mostly the same as what us other installers are saying about Aerials that are combined.
    Their will be parts of the county that wont receive DTT and people will have to get Saorsat installed. An example might be anyone who have a House or holiday home past Ardmine church on the left under the Road as you leave riverchapel heading south.

I just want to add a brief words here as I am away at present and dont have internet access much at all.

Firstly ,yes its a problem for those with welsh aerials.
    2nd-I want to say theres no need for argey bargey here.
    I have the height of respect for you scaller but I think you must accept that you do have an interest here in installing satelite systems so dont come to the topic entirely independently

Regarding RTENL and Mt Leinster- let me make this clear,they have confirmed that as far as they are concerned the use of 45 is set in stone and they have no intention of moving to 39 or any of the other free numbers unless told to do so by comreg.
    Saying this is a test does not change that fact.
    It becomes live on oct 31 and unless pressurised,it will stay on 45 with all the hassle that will bring.
    Thirdly rte are cash strapped at the moment so apart from arklow gorey and forth mtn there are no confirmed starts for dtt and there will be no option not in sight of arklow,forth or gorey but to use satelite.

I think there is no harm whatsoever in bringing the ch45 issue to the attention of politicians and having them persuade rte to use ch 39

By the way ch45 in coastal areas of the southeast is often unreceivable on days that the welsh presely transmitter is strong and why should we have licence payers accept that inferior situation in place of the existing relatively perfect analogue service post 2012!
    Changing it to ch 39 is so so simple but like a lot of things in Ireland requires political/media and consumer pressure.
    Otherwise there will be lots of angry people post 2012.
    It is far better to bring the issues out in the open now rather than when it is all hitting the fan so to speak.

I would also ask that personalities like mylie and mylie jnr are not brought into this with respect please.Lets keep it to the specifics :)

I just want to add a brief words here as I am away at present and dont have internet access much at all.

Firstly ,yes its a problem for those with welsh aerials.
    2nd-I want to say theres no need for argey bargey here.
    I have the height of respect for you scaller but I think you must accept that you do have an interest here in installing satelite systems so dont come to the topic entirely independently

Regarding RTENL and Mt Leinster- let me make this clear,they have confirmed that as far as they are concerned the use of 45 is set in stone and they have no intention of moving to 39 or any of the other free numbers unless told to do so by comreg.
    It becomes live on oct 31 and unless pressurised,it will stay on 45 with all the hassle that will bring.
    Thirdly rte are cash strapped at the moment so apart from arklow gorey and forth mtn there are no confirmed starts for dtt and there will be no option not in sight of arklow,forth or gorey but to use satelite.

I think there is no harm whatsoever in bringing the ch45 issue to the attention of politicians and having them persuade rte to use ch 39

By the way ch45 in coastal areas of the southeast is often unreceivable on days that the welsh presely transmitter is strong and why should we have licence payers accept that inferior situation in place of the existing relatively perfect analogue service post 2012!
    Changing it to ch 39 is so so simple but like a lot of things in Ireland requires political/media and consumer pressure.
    It is far better to bring the issues out in the open now rather than when it is all hitting the fan so to speak.

I would also ask that personalities like mylie and mylie jnr are not brought into this with respect please.Lets keep it to the specifics :)

Black Briar The Title and Topic of this Thread is giving people the wrong Impression. Zerks Myself and Harry.c think so

WEXFORD TO LOOSE RTE TELEVISION.

Wexford is a big county so can you or Bmaxi tell us where are the favoured area's WHY they are favoured or which big parts of the county will not receive Irish tv in 2012. Mylie is an Installer in the Business who I Know well so why should I not mention him. Black Briar thanks for your Respect but I never once hid the Fact that I am an Installer. I have said through out this thread that i would prefer RTENL to move Back to RF39. Regardless if they do or don't people will have to Spend Money to receive RTE channels some way or another. So Why don't Bmaxi contact his local installer Be it Mylie or whoever, Forget his rabbits ears and spend a few €€€€ and get proper Aerial setup. He has been advised to do so.

This is my last post on this thread so If Zerks or Harry.c or any other Installer want to continue this Debate with Bmaxi or yourself then that's fair enough.

Black Briar The Title and Topic of this Thread is giving people the wrong Impression. Zerks Myself and Harry.c think so

WEXFORD TO LOOSE RTE TELEVISION.

Wexford is a big county so can you or Bmaxi tell us where are the favoured area's WHY they are favoured or which big parts of the county will not receive Irish tv in 2012. Mylie is an Installer in the Business who I Know well so why should I not mention him. Black Briar thanks for your Respect but I never once hid the Fact that I am an Installer. I have said through out this thread that i would prefer RTENL to move Back to RF39. Regardless if they do or don't people will have to Spend Money to receive RTE channels some way or another.

This is my last post on this thread so If Zerks or Harry.c want to continue this Debate with Bmaxi or yourself then that's fair enough.

You never indicated to me that you had a problem with the thread title, surely that is a minor consideration, it was the first thing that came into my head.
    As I've already said, I don't have the technical knowledge to argue the toss, I just see this as an unnecessary development that is going to cause extra expense for me and a lot of other people and I want to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

The simple fact of the matter seems that it would be much better for some wexford people if mount leinster was not on a channel that can clash with presely. From previous posts on boards detailing correspondence with comreg and rte NL it seems that they have no intention of moving off channel 45. There are no drawbacks to pressurising the authorities to change the channel they broadcast on. I, for one, have gotten on to the local politicians to get the channel moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

Thank you for a very balanced and sensible post.
    The fact of the matter is that there is very little chance that RTE will change frequencies, once the full service is rolled out.
    Now is the time to make representations, while making a change should still be straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I also used to recieve RTE Digital on channel 39 from Mt Lenister, however since the change to channel 45 I have lost the picture.

I will also contact my local representive on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

just a quick question im new to the area so a little confused on the aerial side of things, im living up hollyfort outside gorey tucked in under the mountain, can i get rte from mt.leinster or will i be blocked if so were else can i go for rte, also i understand the problem with uk freeview but im thinking if mt.leinster is blocked i may be able to get this permitting that the trees around my house dont block the signal, if so what aerial group do i need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi Deaglan169, I hope the situation with Mt Lenister will improve, RTEnl will launch the DTT service on the 31st of October and fingers crossed the signal problem at the moment will be fixed.
    I believe you would be better waiting till after this date 31-10-2010 before investing in an aerial.
    You can find very good information and help on this subject in Boards under Tech (Terrestrial) some great guys will give you all the information you need.

I hope this can help.

Advertisement