Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Next GTA???

• 18-09-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any info on the next installment of GTA???

Was it even confirmed that there will be another?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'd sooner see another Red Dead game. Or even Bully 2 before I play another GTA game :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I didn't ask for your opinion on GTA or a recommendation on a superior alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

calex71 wrote: »
    I'd sooner see another Red Dead game. Or even Bully 2 before I play another GTA game :(
    I didn't ask for your opinion on GTA or a recommendation on a superior alternative.

hah get owned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yeah calex71, jeeze! On discussion forums you're just meant to provide answers and not actually discuss anything.

Interview with Take Two CEO Ben Feder, reported on VG247 on Wednesday:
    He also briefly touched on when we’re going to see the next main GTA being announced. Spoiler: not any time soon, by the looks of it.

“Unfortunately, we’ve said everything we’re going to say about Grand Theft Auto. I appreciate everyone’s concern and interest as to when the game is coming out,” said Feder.

“We’re not prepared to announce it today, but when we are, we’ll let you know.”

Yeah calex71, jeeze! On discussion forums you're just meant to provide answers and not actually discuss anything.

I know, that was me put in my place wasn't it :D

• Advertisement

Judging from their lack of willingness to give any sort of time frame on development & completion it sounds to me like a release date is a long long way off. Probably 2 years or something. Thanks for the info.

By the way lads, when you ask a question its tradition to answer it with some sort of relevance to whats being asked. Its not hard.

Q: What sort of car is that? A: I don't like apples.:confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Q: What sort of car is that? A: I don't like apples.:confused:

:pac:
    In fairness, it was more like:

Q: When's the new Ford Fiesta coming out? A: I'd sooner see another Ford Focus. Or even Ford Mondeo before I drive another Ford Fiesta

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chronic Rick

i wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't another one,
    Rockstar have started to branch out more and there is a lot less hype about gta. A gta on modern consoles is a huge draw on resources and with the number of games they could be releasing instead of a gta installment profit has to be taken into account.
    What boosted gta into the huge profits was the controversy which isn't there any more, people dont give a @#*! any more about murdering prostitutes on your PlayStation when there house is in danger of being repossessed. GTA IV didn't make a huge amount of money, It did quite well but it was no San Andreas or Vice City.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

i wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't another one,
    Rockstar have started to branch out more and there is a lot less hype about gta. A gta on modern consoles is a huge draw on resources and with the number of games they could be releasing instead of a gta installment profit has to be taken into account.
    What boosted gta into the huge profits was the controversy which isn't there any more, people dont give a @#*! any more about murdering prostitutes on your PlayStation when there house is in danger of being repossessed. GTA IV didn't make a huge amount of money, It did quite well but it was no San Andreas or Vice City.

GTA IV sold 15 million copies all the same. I can't see Rockstar being too disappointed with that. It broke some first day or first weekend records too, I think.

There will be another GTA. There is still huge money to be made from the series. Its very niave to think its finished. The Gran Turismo racing games have been around for years & years without the need for controversy. I didn't buy GTA 4 for the gore content, i bought it because i liked the last few installments, its called having a fanbase.

San andreas was released in 2004, GTA 4 came out in 2008. So im guessing there will be another 4 year wait for the next installment. 2012 looks likely. Im only guessing.

In my opinion if you don't have some sort of basic appreciation for the GTA games then your either a child or don't have a clue about what makes a great game.
    Im not a fanatic gamer, sometimes i won't pick up a controller for months. There are only a handful of games i remember from the last 15 years & the early gta games are definitely on that list along with the likes of metal gear & gran turismo.

In fairness, it was more like:

Q: When's the new Ford Fiesta coming out? A: I'd sooner see another Ford Focus. Or even Ford Mondeo before I drive another Ford Fiesta

:p

Still a stupid answer!:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

There should be one out in late 2011/early 2012.

I only bought the last one for the online play, and I'm looking more forward to DRIVER: San Francisco which is out in March 2011.

emmetmcl wrote: »
    There should be one out in late 2011/early 2012.

I only bought the last one for the online play, and I'm looking more forward to DRIVER: San Francisco which is out in March 2011.

Driver does nothing for me to be honest. Always thought of it as a poor mans GTA. Nowhere near as playable or interactive as gta.

Not a bad game though.

In my opinion if you don't have some sort of basic appreciation for the GTA games then your either a child or don't have a clue about what makes a great game.

That's a very subjective thing, apples and oranges or ones man's treasure is another's trash yada yada.

For me the last one didn't live up to either the hype or the legacy of the series not saying it was bad by any stretch just not a classic. Mind you there have been plenty of those disappointments on current gen consoles for me. Maybe that's just me looking back with rosey glasses?

I would prefer to see them invest more time and effort in other series or new IP and patiently wait for uber GTA a year or more down the line, i think if it came out tomorrow I wouldn't have the same buzz to get it even though IV is over 2 years old now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Driver does nothing for me to be honest. Always thought of it as a poor mans GTA. Nowhere near as playable or interactive as gta.

Not a bad game though.

I know what you mean, GTA seems more interactive as you can kill people, get prostitutes, stuff like that. GTA is more about killing than driving.

Whereas Driver is more about the story and the driving, hence the great physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chronic Rick

Smarmy wrote: »
    GTA IV sold 15 million copies all the same. I can't see Rockstar being too disappointed with that. It broke some first day or first weekend records too, I think.
    While that is true, they could be developing several other games in the time it take to produce a gta game for example
    http://www.industrygamers.com/news/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-sold-an-estimated-7-million-copies-day-one-says-analyst/
    Cod mw 2 took About the quarter of the time to develop and sold at least half as many copies, that eats in to profit.
    throw in cod mw 1 into the mix and they have out sold them by a large margin, both were made and released in about the same length of time (or less, its hard to measure)

calex71 wrote: »
    That's a very subjective thing, apples and oranges or ones man's treasure is another's trash yada yada.

For me the last one didn't live up to either the hype or the legacy of the series not saying it was bad by any stretch just not a classic. Mind you there have been plenty of those disappointments on current gen consoles for me. Maybe that's just me looking back with rosey glasses?

I would prefer to see them invest more time and effort in other series or new IP and patiently wait for uber GTA a year or more down the line, i think if it came out tomorrow I wouldn't have the same buzz to get it even though IV is over 2 years old now.

Fair enough. I'l admit gta 4 wasn't as good as san andreas & certainly not as good as vice city but in all fairness thats a hard act to follow. When a gta game is released it basically blows every other game out of the water for months. Thats the definition of a great game.

GTA 4 is still a benchmark all-in-one game with an excellent multiplayer mode.
    I personally thought the biggest flaw in the game was the failure to include different regions of countryside or desert (like SA), you need a bit of variation.

If GTA 5 follows the San Andreas recipe but with something like the vibrant atmosphere of vice city & the graphical detail of gta 4 it should yet again blow the competition away. As usual.

While that is true, they could be developing several other games in the time it take to produce a gta game for example
    http://www.industrygamers.com/news/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-sold-an-estimated-7-million-copies-day-one-says-analyst/
    Cod 2 took About the quarter of the time to develop and sold at least half as many copies, that eats in to profit.
    throw in cod mw 1 into the mix and they have out sold them by a large margin, both were made and released in about the same length of time (or less, its hard to measure)

I think what your missing in your comparison is the passion & inovation involved in the making of the gta games. They always come up with something a bit special instead of the usual hum-drum 'loads of guns/point at bad guys/shoot bad guys' etc etc type shoot em up.
    Don't get me wrong i like the Cod games i just think they're a bit simplistic. Its this simplicity which makes it very popular with the younger gamers & hence the bigger sales figures. I also think each installment is basically the same as the last.

Comparing COD to GTA is like comparing a subaru impreza to a bugatti veyron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

What bugged me about GTA IV is something that's bugged me about a lot of next gen sequels...there was perfectly good elements to the their predecessors that the developers felt the need to remove or alter for some reason!

Case in point, GTA IV on the humour scale versus SA or Vice, it's non-existent. The digs, the in-jokes, the satire, it's all still there in GTA IV but just, not as good! Even the soundtrack took a seriously backwards turn into the realm of muck (GTA IV is still the only game I cannot play without my own music playing over it). The cinematic feel was lost in GTA IV too. Not that GTA IV didn't play out and feel like a film but it didn't have that symbiotic relationship to specific film genres that others did (Vice City and Scarface comes to mind).

Basically, I think they achieved too much with GTA IV in that they managed to create an extremely realistic game with a far more realistic story (leading to a far more dull story) and as a result need to take a leaf out of Saints Row's book and go back to having a bit of fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Im not a fanatic gamer, sometimes i won't pick up a controller for months. There are only a handful of games i remember from the last 15 years & the early gta games are definitely on that list along with the likes of metal gear & gran turismo.)

Well I'd argue that someone who picks up a controller more than once every few months is in a better position to say what makes a great game or not, even if they're a child.

I thought GTAIV was enjoyable enough as I played it, but I got very bored very fast and barely remember it. It definitely didn't feature on my top 10 games I played that year. The GTA formula has become very stale to me, and it is exactly that 'a formula' at this stage. Hell you could actually do more stuff in San Andreas than IV in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

emmetmcl wrote: »
    I know what you mean, GTA seems more interactive as you can kill people, get prostitutes, stuff like that. GTA is more about killing than driving.

Whereas Driver is more about the story and the driving, hence the great physics.

Actually it is possible to play GTA without killing loads of people. The only time you have to kill someone is during certain stories. I know some people online who play the game for the racing and driving alot more than killing people. Plus since GTA III the game has been very much about the story, especially IV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

id prefer a new red dead redemption game

Advertisement