Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

RRP for Kinect bundle

• 18-09-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

As my 360 has died I was thinking of a new one but I reckon I will wait till the Kinect comes out - have there been prices released for the 360 Kinect bundles yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Found this:

http://www.simplygames.com/info/18714/Xbox-360-Slim-Console-4Gb-and-Kinect-and-Kinect-Adventures-Bundle-Xbox-360

£240 - So we are probably looking at €300 over here?

Can you stick a different hard drive (i.e. my 120gb) on the slim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    Can you stick a different hard drive (i.e. my 120gb) on the slim?

Nope

Don't have any interest in Kinect so haven't been following prices of it but I reckon GAME should have some on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I recall seeing it listed at €299 but at that price and given the cost of kinect on it's own, I would wager that's for a good for squat 4gb slim. Don't have much interest in Kinect at the moment but was kind of sickened when I saw Move on sale today for 54.99 :mad: a third of the kinect price, price point of it on it's own is enough to turn many off at the moment I think.

Edit: saw zoltans link it is a 4gb , add at least €120 to that to upgrade the hard drive , all 4gb is good for are saves, very restrictive even for downloading dlc or arcade games even if you take into account extra 16gb of usb storage you can use if you have a fast enough usb hard drive or memory stick. Games really need to be installed to get betterr load times and reduce noise etc.

What exactly is the Slim good for then?

GAMe UK have a 250GB with Kinect for £299 - seems a bit heavily priced to me - probably at least 350 euros.

Is there a general downer feeling about Kinect? It does seem on the expensive side but I figured if I was getting a new 360 I may as well get it - now I ain't so sure

What exactly is the Slim good for then?

GAMe UK have a 250GB with Kinect for £299 - seems a bit heavily priced to me - probably at least 350 euros.

Is there a general downer feeling about Kinect? It does seem on the expensive side but I figured if I was getting a new 360 I may as well get it - now I ain't so sure

Slim is as good as, if not better than the older xbox's it's just the basic model with only 4gb of storage is lacking. That 4gb will get used up pretty quickly and limit you downloading anything substantial (and in the case if Halo:Reach stop you playing multi player online!!!! Well till it's patched, major boo boo by MS and Bungie there) . Cost of adding a hard drive to it later is more than picking up a 250 gb model off the bat is all i'm saying. Even if you are not a big downloader of content being able to install games is essential in my book even on the new slims

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    Slim is as good as, if not better than the older xbox's it's just the basic model with only 4gb of storage is lacking. That 4gb will get used up pretty quickly and limit you downloading anything substantial. Cost of adding a hard drive to it later is more than picking up a 250 gb model off the bat is all i'm saying. Even if you are not a big downloader of content being able to install games is essential in my book even on the new slims

Cheers - So the 4GB is more or less the Arcade of old but with some memory - not a bad idea I guess.

4gb hard drive is not enough for me - will be looking at the 250GB methinks.

Will look at Kinect in a bit more detail - I will be getting Move though - be like a Wii with decent visuals (and that's a good thing in my book).

Cheers - So the 4GB is more or less the Arcade of old but with some memory - not a bad idea I guess.

Exactly, and with built in wireless adaptor, and as you say you already have an xbox so I imagine you have at least some dlc / arcade games to transfer over , my Rockband 2 install + DLC songs alone clocks in at over 20 gb's :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

My friend pre-ordered Kinect in GameStop and they said it would be around 90-100 euro and that they lowered the price to compete with Move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,018 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't know how true that is Nemanja91!

EDIT: I did find this article saying they've made significant cuts in the manufacturing costs (e.g a 320 x 240 camera, as opposed to the 640 x 480 camera originally) to compete.

If they downgrade the specs I personally think it will be a mistake - if they are going to join the whole interactive race they may as well do it better than the others - people will pay more if it's way better, but I doubt if too many people will pay more if it's just a little bit better.

For multi-console people like myself it will have to be in the way better bracket to be attractive (until tonight I assumed it was going to be)

• Advertisement

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    My friend pre-ordered Kinect in GameStop and they said it would be around 90-100 euro and that they lowered the price to compete with Move.

To be fair I don't think the Move launch exactly set the world on fire - although I remember collecting my wii on launch day and Game staff didn't seem to think it would be very popular (I laughed then and am still laughing now at their lack of vision)

To be fair I don't think the Move launch exactly set the world on fire - although I remember collecting my wii on launch day and Game staff didn't seem to think it would be very popular (I laughed then and am still laughing now at their lack of vision)

I don;t own a PS3 but the fact the 1st I heard of a Move release date was when I saw it for sale today made me look twice :eek:

Every man and his dog could have told you Halo: Reach was out due to TV ad's, but if asked about move???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Well Sony did say recently that they didn't expect the Move to set the world on fire at launch, they're taking a more relaxed approach and hoping that the early adopters will spread good word of mouth until they really start to push with the marketing closer to Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Well Sony did say recently that they didn't expect the Move to set the world on fire at launch, they're taking a more relaxed approach and hoping that the early adopters will spread good word of mouth until they really start to push with the marketing closer to Christmas.

Move is a slow burner and it's a pity because I found myself acquiring a copy without ever intending to and it really is some piece of kit. Unfrotunately too many will look at it as just another Wii type device and in fairness, if you've already got a Wii you won't fin enough in Move to attract your cash but it really is such a better and more fine tuned piece of hardware.

Anyway, back onto X Box! I really do hope that Kinect is at least a moderate success because there is potential in there somewhere, it's just not being realised this holiday season. Then again, if we were kids we would probably be saying otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

niallon wrote: »
    Move is a slow burner and it's a pity because I found myself acquiring a copy without ever intending to and it really is some piece of kit. Unfrotunately too many will look at it as just another Wii type device and in fairness, if you've already got a Wii you won't fin enough in Move to attract your cash but it really is such a better and more fine tuned piece of hardware.

Anyway, back onto X Box! I really do hope that Kinect is at least a moderate success because there is potential in there somewhere, it's just not being realised this holiday season. Then again, if we were kids we would probably be saying otherwise.

Yeah I picked up Move myself, wasn't sure if I was going to, but they released it at the right time for me, not much coming out for me in the next few weeks so it'll keep me nicely distracted.

Kinect has huge potential, but I haven't seen anything yet that uses that potential so I'm going to hold off on it a while I think. I think Microsoft may be relying too heavily on Kinect being a success that if it fails I think it could leave them floundering a bit next year. I don't think Sony are quite as reliant on Move being a success, because Move is more of a supplementary thing in a lot of ways.

Having games like Killzone 3 and Socom having Move as an option makes it a bit more attractive I think to make it more of an impulse purchase. I know I was thinking a couple of the Move games look good, but even if they aren't I'll get use out of trying it with Heavy Rain, Killzone and all. There's nothing like that with Kinect for me. Fable III could've been the game that made me think about picking up a Kinect, but with Fable III not supporting Kinect (at launch anyway) I've almost zero interest in Kinect now, at launch anyway.

Advertisement