Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infertility in Pedigree Cattle

Options
  • 18-09-2010 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

I have a Pedigree heifer that just wont keep to the bull.
    She s thirty months old and with a bull for the last 5 months, I've even AI-ed her twice but still no good. She's in smashing form which makes me more puzzled.
    I scanned the commercial cows last week and all are in calf even an old cow that had to be lifted with a hoist in spring, I had her earmarked for culling she's in calf!!
    What could be wrong with the Pedigree? Is it true that some of these don t start breeding until they are 3 year old or more ?Or is she the one to be culled now?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

did you put a coil in her at all to get her cycling , what did the scanner say about her? we have pedigree angus and a few years ago for some reason 2 of the came bulling every 3 weeks but never went in calf , ended up culling them:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

what breeding was heifer?u sure she wasn't a twin? also did scanner say she was ok..no cists,etc??? if not incalf--i'd be a culling her!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    I have a Pedigree heifer that just wont keep to the bull.
    She s thirty months old and with a bull for the last 5 months, I've even AI-ed her twice but still no good. She's in smashing form which makes me more puzzled.
    I scanned the commercial cows last week and all are in calf even an old cow that had to be lifted with a hoist in spring, I had her earmarked for culling she's in calf!!
    What could be wrong with the Pedigree? Is it true that some of these don t start breeding until they are 3 year old or more ?Or is she the one to be culled now?

as wiggy said scanner should be able to tell you if there were any obvious problems inside like a cyst etc. did he scan her ovaries?
    shes is a valuable animal so i would check her out thoroughly before culling her. another point did you test her for any mineral deficiences , it might be something as simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

A big problem with getting pedigree cattle in calf is over feeding. If she is too fat, it reduces the chances of her holding when she's bulled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dairygene

What breed is this heifer? Dairy or Beef?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

I didn't scan her as she was bulling that week (this was a mistake i know:eek:) She a Charolais twin to another heifer. She's very fat , good enough to kill. I`m going to get the scanner man back to check her out and if he does n`t see anything wrong I`ll try thinning her out a bit and giving her minerals.

Thanks for the advice, I`ll update post whatever the outcome with her

if she is in heat and served give her a shot of receptol

whelan1 wrote: »

I've never heard of that, does this help them keep? If it does then it would be definitely worth a try

yup , get it from your vet,

yup , get it from your vet,

Thanks for that, btw sorry to hear that you wont make it to the ploughing this year

• Advertisement

yup very sad here , will have to do work for the day instead

Advertisement