Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

last throw of the dice

Options
  • 18-09-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

anyone had any good trout fishing of late,all my local trout streams have nearly all gone off the take with the drop in temp!! anyone had better luck?? was going to try get a days salmon fishing in but might keep my money at this rate and have one last bash at the trout,how was everyones salmon season ,i had only one 2 pound grilse for my troubles,very slow indeed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Here in Dublin anyway the temperature has had a massive drop the past couple of days.

Was going to head out to the local resevoir today but i gave it a miss as theres probably no point :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Cj I'm in Scotland but the situation is similar. The river has been very difficult for the last 4 or 5 weeks. The trout are still feeding on drys but have become impossibly spooky and wise. You can still catch fish with wets and streamers but not the big fellas. I suppose if you were to put in enough time you would eventually get a decent one.
    I have switched my attention to the lochs and have had some brilliant sport. I love loch fishing at this time of year.
    I had my first grilse this year so was delighted with that. I intend to target the back end salmon on the single hander once the trout season is over.
    The river is supposed to be getting stuffed with them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

I was out on the Slaney last weekend. Had Good fishing on wets.
    On the Kings river today water temp down on last time i fished it but i still had good fishing on wets.
    wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Got 2 brownies on the Boyne yesterday, but it was hard going. Temp is picking up the week coming so alls not lost yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

another 1 pound trout on the river suck for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

good stuff guys,yis have given me inspiration for he next week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

some of the loughs are fishing well for trout, still plenty of salmon around, river trout fishing might be patchy now..............loads of chances to get out before 12th of October.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I will be doing some this week, mainly midland lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

coolwings wrote: »
    I will be doing some this week, mainly midland lakes.
    i fish midlands too.... had a poor season but it has picked up in past 4 or 5 weeks.... have had some good fishing trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

I'd love to get out on a lake before the end of the season, but I wonder is the water temperature going to be too cold for Mr Trout to put his head up. Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

Slasher wrote: »
    I'd love to get out on a lake before the end of the season, but I wonder is the water temperature going to be too cold for Mr Trout to put his head up.

NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

I'd love to get out on a lake before the end of the season, but I wonder is the water temperature going to be too cold for Mr Trout to put his head up. Any thoughts?

I was out last on Saturday evening on a small lake in the NW. The trout were rising freely. Didn't manage to catch any of them though.

had one 3lb 12 oz yesterday .... lough ree.....

bayliner wrote: »
    had one 3lb 12 oz yesterday .... lough ree.....

nice trout, what did you get him on?

nice trout, what did you get him on?
    tazy.... was weighed and released....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Goin out to Lough O Flynn last day of the season. I'm bringing the fly rod and I'm hoping I might trick one trout (Please God) before the season ends. Was talking to a man down there recently and he had a trout in the bag, asked him for advise on what flys to use. Only bad thing is my fly line failed me and long story short I'm forced to buy cheap WF line on amazon, pure poo I know but not forkin' out 50 euro for something I won't use again til next year. Here's a link to the line I bought if you feel like telling me how terrible it is. :(
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prelude-PFLWF6F-PRELUDE-LINE-FLOAT/dp/B0036PJ34A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1285704103&sr=8-4

lough ree on thurs for the last trout session till the 1st of march:(.....
    well..... maybe a visit or 2 to cloghan lake with the fly rod next month:D...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Goin out to Lough O Flynn last day of the season. I'm bringing the fly rod and I'm hoping I might trick one trout (Please God) before the season ends. Was talking to a man down there recently and he had a trout in the bag, asked him for advise on what flys to use. Only bad thing is my fly line failed me and long story short I'm forced to buy cheap WF line on amazon, pure poo I know but not forkin' out 50 euro for something I won't use again til next year. Here's a link to the line I bought if you feel like telling me how terrible it is. :(
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prelude-PFLWF6F-PRELUDE-LINE-FLOAT/dp/B0036PJ34A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1285704103&sr=8-4
    Dont be worrying about it man im sure itll do the job.

Good luck, hope you hook a monster ;)

Who knows, it might be lucky flyline :)

David that fly line may be fine but in future if you want a cheap fly line try here http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/game-fishing/fly-fishing-lines-and-backing/mill-end-and-budget-fly-lines/0/mullarkeys/2928/

Its kind of a risk as the occasional one might be crap but I have heard great things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

What's a Tazy?

• Advertisement

What's a Tazy?

tazmanian devil....lure, trolled but can be used spinning too

great stuff.....interesting have never had much luck with the tazy for trout, some say they are great some hate them...i suppose doctors differ and patients die........:D

great stuff.....interesting have never had much luck with the tazy for trout, some say they are great some hate them...i suppose doctors differ and patients die........:D
    :D:D:D....tazys have started workin well the last 2 months or so up to that i hadnt much luck on any lure this season...and i completely missed the dapp this season, so its only lately i am catching trout, hope to get some pike fishing in over the next month or so too..... water levels are rising rapidly here the last month or so, which wont help much either

What's a Tazy?

heres a good article about them...........

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewwigstontd.html

good for trolling popular for many years now trout, salmon, pike and perch will all gladly accept them..........i have used them on occasion but have not been lucky with them so i stopped using them.......i normally spin and troll for trout only early in the season (March - early April) and must give them another try then.

heres a good article about them...........

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewwigstontd.html

good for trolling popular for many years now trout, salmon, pike and perch will all gladly accept them..........i have used them on occasion but have not been lucky with them so i stopped using them.......i normally spin and troll for trout only early in the season (March - early April) and must give them another try then.
    i know it may differ on other waters but i find the early season on lough ree is poor for tazys, lane minnows are better,or rapala's, though lough mask fishes well on tazys early in the season i believe, so yes its diff on diff waters:D:rolleyes:

i know it may differ on other waters but i find the early season on lough ree is poor for tazys, lane minnows are better,or rapala's, though lough mask fishes well on tazys early in the season i believe, so yes its diff on diff waters:D:rolleyes:

the lane minnows are indeed good early season and thats what i would reach for first, them or the mepps 2, however its impossible to get small (1 inch) lanes minnows anymore, he is not making them, pity the small one inch grey one could be deadly, and when trout were on sticklebacks, lethal!!!!!!!!...the only problem is the kinking of the line and having to use poxy anti-kinks.....but the mepps is a fecker for the kinking too.........

the lane minnows are indeed good early season and thats what i would reach for first, them or the mepps 2, however its impossible to get small (1 inch) lanes minnows anymore, he is not making them, pity the small one inch grey one could be deadly, and when trout were on sticklebacks, lethal!!!!!!!!...the only problem is the kinking of the line and having to use poxy anti-kinks.....but the mepps is a fecker for the kinking too.........
    i use 2 barrell swivels about a metre up the line from the lure, cuts out the chance of kinking, keep swivels around 7 or 8 inches apart, if using a longer rod can keep them further away from lure, i havea decent selection of minnows(the proper lane)... but have no inch ones left :(...
    i sent him an inch brown and gold minnow so he could copy some more(through local shop) ina few sizes, but got no word back in 12 months now:mad::mad::mad:......

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

I was planning on heading out today but I put my back out on monday and then came down with a cold on tuesday :mad: Still hopefull of getting out tomorrow to try to get my first trout on the fly.

Good luck to anyone heading out today or tomorrow.

Had my last go at the river trout on monday evening. Fished a streamer for a few hours, one hard knock and that was it. First year fishing streamers on the river with mixed results.
    Will be having a serious go for a few back end salmon, starting as soon as it stops raining and the river drops a few foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm heading out tomorrow evening for a few hours. Ive been talking to one of the lads and apparently there has been a late surge of seatrout into my local river. Will give it a lash before putting the gear away until the new year :(

Advertisement