Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

last throw of the dice

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

This forum will be very quiet when the season ends I'd imagine :(. I only joined to learn how to fly fish! Oh those were the good ol' days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ah there's a few places where you can still throw a fly during the off season. They cost fro a permit but why not treat yourself once a month or so. Once its stays mild you still have a good chance of getting a fish on the fly.

I tend to go sea fishing (and a bit of hunting) during the off season. Cod and whiting fishing during the winter can be good. I love being out on a clear, frosty night around Cork Harbour somewhere. My father makes his way to ballyhass, near mallow, to get his fly fishing fix during the closed season.

SO don't despair David :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I fished Ballyhass in the winter, great spot.

Once you know the tactics to use during the winter months, you will always catch fish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

This forum will be very quiet when the season ends I'd imagine :(. I only joined to learn how to fly fish! Oh those were the good ol' days. :D

Another option alternative to rainbows:
    You can fly fish for perch in so many places, they are in both trout and coarse waters. Perch complete with trout for food items, that is they eat nymphs as well as small fish, so both wet fly and lure tactics work.

The reason I didn't mention pike on the fly is because the tackle requirements are totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

got 3 trout today all under a lb, lost a decent one around the 2-3lbs.....thats it for the lakes for this yr!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement