Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland V Arsenal Match Thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Alot of positives to take from that match.

We have improved on last season's result. We have improved on last season in general in terms of defending. Our defence and Almunia especially were very good the whole match. It wasn't a defensive mistake that cost us in the last min, it was just unlucky. Clearance hit one of our men and fell to Bent. We were lucky to get our goal so it's swings and roundabouts in this instance.

I won't complain at a point away from home after a CL matchweek. In which we lost our most influential player earlier on and then lost Song to his own fault.

Draw is what we deserve, a draw is what i will gladly take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

L'prof wrote: »
    Missed that.

Handbags really, not hard to miss to be fair. Never know though, the FA may make a big deal out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

That was so long ago, I forgot :o

Slices of luck for: 1, Slices of luck against: 4
    The only piece of luck today was the Arsenal goal...

The sending off, the missed penalty and conceding a goal are all down to Arsenal error, not luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    The only piece of luck today was the Arsenal goal...

The sending off, the missed penalty and conceding a goal are all down to Arsenal error, not luck.

Saunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

M5 wrote: »
    Sunderland scored on 94.15

the rule is "at least x mins of time added on"

Yes, I can imagine it's frustrating for Arsenal fans, but think how city fans felt last season , 4 Mins injury time ... Owen scored in the seventh minute :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

It wasn't luck that cost Arsenal two points. It's a lottery for the captain's armband if Fabregas is not on the field, and I presume that with the armband, Rosicky felt that it was his responsibility to step-up and take the penalty. That's an effect of Wenger's inability to establish strong and experienced leaders in the team. Referee should have finished the game the second Zenden turned his back to the goal. Arsenal's nervous defence created a situation for Sunderland to score from. Clichy is a very accomplished footballer and he shouldn't be kicking a clearance against his teammate; that's a player cracking under the pressure, not luck.

That said, Rosicky and Nasri took control of the match after the sending-off and it was very impressive as well as some of the defending. I think I can remember only two clear-cut chances Sunderland created in the whole match. I don't think Sunderland deserved a point, but that means nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

the_monkey wrote: »
    Yes, I can imagine it's frustrating for Arsenal fans, but think how city fans felt last season , 4 Mins injury time ... Owen scored in the seventh minute :rolleyes:

That's not true ?

Saunter.
    Saunter?

It was surprising to see Almunia not getting the armband. He's been getting more vocal as of late

SDTimeout wrote: »
    That's not true ?

close enough it was way over time ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Arsenal lack resolve at crunch moment, news at 11.

close enough it was way over time ....

Do yourself a favour and stop talking, it was 1 second over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Eh, maths not your strong suit?

4.15 [Source: ESPN] - 4.00 [Time Allotted] = 0.15

So that'd be 15 seconds and not 1.

Ordinarily I wouldn't engage in semantics but you've only been too happy to oblige yourself in this thread so far, so I'll refute. Quite clearly you have a serious chip on your shoulder about Arsenal FC.

cson wrote: »
    Eh, maths not your strong suit?

4.15 [Source: ESPN] - 4.00 [Time Allotted] = 0.15

So that'd be 15 seconds and not 1.

Ordinarily I wouldn't engage in semantics but you've only been too happy to oblige yourself in this thread so far, so I'll refute. Quite clearly you have a serious chip on your shoulder about Arsenal FC.
    Eh, reading not your strong suit?

We were talking about the manchester derby.

And no chip on my shoulder, I love the Arsenal style of football, but I disagree with a few of the things said about them today.

You're best off not engaging in semantics until you learn to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fair enough, I slid in Ryan Shawcross style with a clumsy post. The intention was right though.

Was way more then 1 second pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Wenger was surprised Rosicky took the penalty instead of Nasri. Um, Arsene, aren't you in charge of these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

JPA wrote: »
    Wenger was surprised Rosicky took the penalty instead of Nasri. Um, Arsene, aren't you in charge of these things?
    Same situation as fergie a few weeks back I sometimes it's just down to who feels most confident at the time.

Was way more then 1 second pal
    There you go pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just saw Cesc's goal on MotD.

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Song's second yellow was a definite booking.

His first one though has to be one of the softest yellows we'll see all season, I can see no reason why the ref has booked him.

I also thought the peno we got was very soft tbh.

Disgusted with their goal, shambolic defending.

When someone mentioned Arsne pushed the fourth official was that the pat on the back he gave him when they sent off Song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

When someone mentioned Arsne pushed the fourth official was that the pat on the back he gave him when they sent off Song?

With blinkers on it must look like a violent outburst.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    With blinkers on it must look like a violent outburst.
    Well I'm sure it was probably sarcastic but any action by the FA could only be taken if he said something along with it I'd say he'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Frisbee wrote: »
    Song's second yellow was a definite booking.

His first one though has to be one of the softest yellows we'll see all season, I can see no reason why the ref has booked him.

I also thought the peno we got was very soft tbh.

Disgusted with their goal, shambolic defending.

in fairness, song made a tackle before he got the first yellow, that should have been a yellow but didnt get a booking. We were very shoddy today. Sunderland played us off the park in the first half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Song was most likely originally booked for persistent fouling. Penalty looked pretty clear cut to me, just a completely stupid tackle to make.

It's just a shame MotD aren't up-to-date on the Laws of the Game; otherwise, you and they might have had a point.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    It's just a shame MotD aren't up-to-date on the Laws of the Game; otherwise, you and they might have had a point.

Thats a mighty fine statement without any proof to back it up.

Thats a mighty fine statement without any proof to back it up.
    Heh - the irony of someone asking for proof of one claim but readily accepting another claim with none. I said refer to the Laws of the Game, which the BBC editors or you didn't do.

Even so, any one with a modicum of common-sense, without any knowledge of the rules, would find an inconsistency in the BBC's argument to exactly time Citeh's goal celebration (56s) but not to exactly time the substitution (Allow 30s). BBC didn't exactly time the substitution (reality, less than 20s), because it would have destroyed their argument (56s + 20s = 1m16s). United lost possession on 95:15 and Citeh headed the ball not once but twice and Martin Atkinson should have finished the game.

• Advertisement

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Heh - the irony of someone asking for proof of one claim but readily accepting another claim with none. I said refer to the Laws of the Game, which the BBC editors or you didn't do.

Even so, any one with a modicum of common-sense, without any knowledge of the rules, would find an inconsistency in the BBC's argument to exactly time Citeh's goal celebration (56s) but not to exactly time the substitution (Allow 30s). BBC didn't exactly time the substitution (reality, less than 20s), because it would have destroyed their argument (56s + 20s = 1m16s). United lost possession on 95:15 and Citeh headed the ball not once but twice and Martin Atkinson should have finished the game.

The rules state 30s per substitution.

Advertisement