Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better ISP's than eircom?

• 18-09-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I've come to the conclusion that eircom is a ****e ISP. Are there any better Irish ISP's? Better as in faster and better technical support.

Reasons behind that conclusion: For months every time it rained my internet connection and phone lines would go down and my ma called out a technical about 5 times and every time they charged her despite not being able to find or fix the problem. I got on the case myself and rapidly found the problem. Theres this black plastic casing on a wire outside my window and every time it gets wet the phone lines get cut off. To make matters worse, its the wire coming from the security box into the house so everytime it'd get cut off the alarm system would make this irratating beeping sound for hours. I wrapped this plastic case up in cling film and tin foil and waterproofed it. Why couldn't the eircom technicians do this? Before I fixed it I called the hotline and they told me they dispatched a technician, I forgot to cancel the technician but it didn't matter cuz he never showed up anyway.

Even after its water proofed its still real slow and the routers they provide us with are clearly ****e. I've never seen the wireless connection symbol
    wireless.png
    go above 2 bars. The reason I say eircom is ****e is because I've had internet access in America and Canada and never even had to call a technican. It was also always fast.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

smart smart smart smart smart, got away from eircom to smart, never looked back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Magnet, brilliant service

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Jagle wrote: »
    smart smart smart smart smart, got away from eircom to smart, never looked back
    Thanks a lot. I'll suggest that to my ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

UPC if you can get it , pull out that old phone line altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

UPC if you can get it , pull out that old phone line altogether.
    +1;)

UPC is by far the best ISP in Ireland. You ACTUALLy get what you sign up for.

Ive had eircom and smart.

Every provider had their pros and cons but a far as broadband goes you wont beat UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I had 3MB before with Eircom and got 320KB/sec at the most, but when I ordered 15MB UPC I got 1850KB/sec. It rarely goes below that.

UPC is just way better and it isn't more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

If there is a problem with your physical line you will need to go to upc or magnet fibre to get an improvement, anyone that uses eircom lines will just inherit the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

CorkMan wrote: »
    I had 3MB before with Eircom and got 320KB/sec at the most, but when I ordered 15MB UPC I got 1850KB/sec. It rarely goes below that.

you understand that your still only getting a tenth of what your paying for yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Thats what you should have got in both cases. 3Mb = 300kbps download speed. I'm on UPC, when I had a 10Mb connection I got 1Mbps (1,000kbps) download speed and now 1.5Mbps on the 15Mb connection.

Most ISPs in Ireland have download speeds that are 10% of your connection speed.

UPC are the best ISP from my experience. Eircom and Magnet are both terrible, my home phone only worked half the time with Magnet ffs.

Thats what you should have got in both cases. 3Mb = 300kbps download speed. I'm on UPC, when I had a 10Mb connection I got 1Mbps (1,000kbps) download speed and now 1.5Mbps on the 15Mb connection.

Most ISPs in Ireland have download speeds that are 10% of your connection speed.

UPC are the best ISP from my experience. Eircom and Magnet are both terrible, my home phone only worked half the time with Magnet ffs.
    It's not 10% of your speed, it's just two different unit of measurement. 15Mbit broadband gives you 1.5MB/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Alphabetically...
    Casey (Dungarvan only sadly), Digiweb/Smart, Magnet, UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭pickledfish

• 8 bits = 1 byte.
    • Lower case b is used for bits while upper case B represents bytes.
    • 1Mb/s = 125 MB/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

• 8 bits = 1 byte.
    • 1Mb/s = 125 MB/s

Number of data bytes depends on whether there are any stop bits or parity bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭pickledfish

@FSL True.

I think the speeds referenced on the products relates to the max speed of your access rather than the data throughput.

As always, the devil is in the detail and the advertising of broadband products is a contentious (pardon the pun) issue.

• 8 bits = 1 byte.
    • 1Mb/s = 125 MB/s
    Shouldn't that be 1Mb/s = 125KB/s

1 Megabit a second = 125 Kilobytes a second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

• 8 bits = 1 byte.
    • 1Mb/s = 125 MB/s

8Mb is around 1MB/s is perfect conditions, with no parity, overhead etc.

10% is a more realistic way of saying what you get versus what is advertised.
    For instance, when I had 7Mb, I expected 700kB/s, and that's what I got.
    On 15Mb I expect 1.5MB/s, and I get that usually.

Jagle wrote: »
    you understand that your still only getting a tenth of what your paying for yes?

Wha, wha?

I assume 1850KB/s is good for 15MB :cool:

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I have to say this is a little unfair. While I don't dispute that you had a difficult time with us I think its unfair to assume that this is the case for all of our customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Jesus christ. I never get over 200KB/s. UPC it is. I'm only getting round to changing ISP now, its phenomenal how ****e Eircom is when it comes to broadband. They told me 6 months ago that they'd upgraded my internet connection and that the connection speed would be 5 times faster but that never happened.

Plus the 15MB has been upgraded to 20MB, so now I get 2400KB/sec to 2450KB/Sec.

• Advertisement
Advertisement