Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First rant of the year

Options
  • 18-09-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

As a budgeting student, for the last two years I've brought my own cup and tea bags in to college with me every day.
    Most places as some people will know, charge for hot water. Often this is waved by the till attendant, but the standard charge otherwise is usually varies from 15 - 40 cent around campus.

So there I am, in the SU shop under the library yesterday and low and behold a price list has been put up stating that hot water is now €1!
    Seriously, what the ****?
    Tea/coffee is €1.25 and they price the hot water at €1.
    Fine, if they said hot water + sugar + milk + cup is €1, that would still be outrages, but a little more understandable. However, €1 for hot water with or without your own cup, bull****.

I don't know or otherwise care what involvement the SU has with the SU shop, but I've given the SU €158(?) for 4 years and I'd be happy for them to have it, if they provided these facilities. I don't give a toss about the thousands of euro you waste on class reps weekend every year, if you spent my €158(?) on a bunch of kettles and scattered them around campus, I'd be delighted.

/Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I switched over to the arts café,it's still 50 cent there.

I always took cup+milk+hot water when I was in the library shop.Even then,I remember one of the people at the till saying it was a bit silly to charge for hot water.To jack the price by that much is ridiculous.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Thermos Flask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Malignant bastards! €1 for a cup of hot water?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The nerve of them!

Students who bring their own teabags are lost potential revenue, as they won't buy tea or coffee, so they price hot water at nearly the same price.

It's ridiculous, but they know full well that it is. It doesn't reflect what they think the cost of a hot water service is but rather the amount of money they think they'll lose from tea and coffee sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Thing is,I've been in the library shop a lot over the past 2 years( I love my Barry's:D) and I have never seen anyone else ask for hot water in that time.That said,there has always been a big queue for the tea and coffee machines.

Did so many people use only hot water that the SU shops felt justified in doubling the price?It'd be interesting to see how much potential revenue they lost last year.I think the accounts are public,but I stand to be corrected on that.

Thing is,I've been in the library shop a lot over the past 2 years( I love my Barry's:D) and I have never seen anyone else ask for hot water in that time.That said,there has always been a big queue for the tea and coffee machines.

Did so many people use only hot water that the SU shops felt justified in doubling the price?It'd be interesting to see how much potential revenue they lost last year.I think the accounts are public,but I stand to be corrected on that.

I'd say they are. Go for it.

Although there only has to be a potential for lost revenue before people go ahead and bump up charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

There's a kettle in the science building across from the program office if i remember correctly..

It's more than likely for staff use but you could have a go at it till you get caught!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Lidl kettle + find a socket + find a water fountain = problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭OrionsBelt

Red Alert wrote: »

damn was about to post the same thing when i read the first post. good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

Red Alert wrote: »
    Exactly its the way to do it. Seen a few do it in the labs in Comp Sci. Your sorted with a kettle cup of tea and some pot noodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Charging for hot water is ridiculous, the poster above was right about the arts cafe, it's cheaper in there (I'm sure). Probably as it's pretty expensive so they'd make enough money on whatever they sell anyway :p

+1 for a few kettles. :) My dad said to me the other day 'Do they not have a microwave so you could bring soup or leftover stir fry etc etc. in and just heat it up for a sec?' to which I surprisingly answered quite logically (if I may say so myself :P) 'If they had one microwave in the entire campus, they'd have to get about 2000 microwaves cause everyone would want in on the action'.

Microwaves + kettles would be great :) Any SU members or any of those sorts floating around for input? I'd like to hear what they have to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

As it happens, I found out yesterday that in work spaces on UCD campus there is supposed to be no food/drink making facilities (that includes leturers offies and study areas). I'm a post grad and my department were made remove all microwaves and kettles from every room, with the exception of a meeting room.
    Anyone with these facilities in their rooms has them 'secretly'.

You should probably ammend your post Raph, if you make use of that study area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

dyl10 wrote: »
    You should probably ammend your post Raph, if you make use of that study area.
    What post?

>.>
    <.<

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I don't know or otherwise care what involvement the SU has with the SU shop, but I've given the SU €158(?) for 4 years and I'd be happy for them to have it, if they provided these facilities. I don't give a toss about the thousands of euro you waste on class reps weekend every year, if you spent my €158(?) on a bunch of kettles and scattered them around campus, I'd be delighted.

I agree with you for the most part.

But on a side note, the SU gets 25 euro from each person (According to le Welfairy), and I think 5 of that goes to USI (Which I dont agree with, but anyway!). When scaled up, that's still fúck loads of money, but no where near the amounts you're suggesting. Whatever the building fee that we're paying is, is funding construction of the new student centre, it's not going into SU funds.

Fad wrote: »
    but no where near the amounts you're suggesting. Whatever the building fee that we're paying is, is funding construction of the new student centre, it's not going into SU funds.

Well as far as I know, the SU decides where that €158 goes each year, be it the new building, the USI or whatever (All of which I might add, does not benefit me).
    If they don't decide where a portion of that cash goes, I'd like to know who does.

Well as far as I know, the SU decides where that €158 goes each year, be it the new building, the USI or whatever (All of which I might add, does not benefit me).
    If they don't decide where a portion of that cash goes, I'd like to know who does.

I have little or no involvement in the union other than being friends with two of the officers, but I sincerely sincerely doubt the union controls that money. I'll find out for you though :)

I have little or no involvement in the union other than being friends with two of the officers, but I sincerely sincerely doubt the union controls that money. I'll find out for you though :)

Sincere thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Dyl free kettle in the first room on the right on the geography corridor. I presume you got a fob?

• Advertisement

Will be getting one over the next week hopefully, DB.
    I heard you lads had hassle last year about your study room and food facilities? (possibly could have been the year before).

I asked for the topic to be brought at the next staff meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

There is a canteen, kettle, microwave and sink on the top floor of the library building.

Scott says the SU has no control over that money whatsoever and mentioned something about a referendum being passed that that money would only be used for building.

Scott says the SU has no control over that money whatsoever and mentioned something about a referendum being passed that that money would only be used for building.

Interesting indeed. I always assumed they had near, full control over that money.
    Do you happen to know who/what pays for class reps weekend/sabat wages/ents funding etc.?

Interesting indeed. I always assumed they had near, full control over that money.
    Do you happen to know who/what pays for class reps weekend/sabat wages/ents funding etc.?

I never really assumed as much, when it says "Student Centre Levy" I assumed it's money going toward the construction of the Student Centre.

I dont know for sure (As I have said, aside from having a few friends in the union, I have little or no involvement), but I assume it comes out of the 25 quid a head taken from our fees + advertising in publications revenue + whatever other revenue there is.

(Tbh, I would prefer no one other than the class reps paid for their glorified piss up and I would prefer Ents to be seperate from the SU.... I do think some sabbats deserve the wages they get, but I wish there was some form of performance related pay connected to it, to stop things like last years education officer (If you could call him one) happening again)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 omnisynergy

Pdf file I found with detailed information about Student Union funding from last year. http://www.ucdsu.ie/download/file/3085/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

As far as I remember the student's union organised that referendum some time ago, maybe 2005. I remember being extremely miffed about having to pay for a student centre that would not be built whilst I was still a student.

What will they do with the money when the student centre opens? Or has it been ring-fenced to pay for the student centre for a long time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Pdf file I found with detailed information about Student Union funding from last year. http://www.ucdsu.ie/download/file/3085/

40,000 spent on elections! What the hell?! That is ridiculous.

Edit: Oh and 15,000 on Class Rep trips, 5,000 on pens and highlighters are among some of my other favourite wastes of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

But I wish there was some form of performance related pay connected to it, to stop things like last years education officer (If you could call him one) happening again)

What happened with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Grimes wrote: »
    There is a canteen, kettle, microwave and sink on the top floor of the library building.

Lose lips - they put a code lock on the door over the last year :/

Advertisement