Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First rant of the year

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

As far as I remember the student's union organised that referendum some time ago, maybe 2005. I remember being extremely miffed about having to pay for a student centre that would not be built whilst I was still a student.

What will they do with the money when the student centre opens? Or has it been ring-fenced to pay for the student centre for a long time?

I assume it will stop being charged once the centre has been paid for. Or else it will keep being pumped into it to keep it running.
    kev9100 wrote: »
    What happened with him?

Many things: Obsever Article on him.

Some things are better left unsaid too tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Fad wrote: »
    I assume it will stop being charged once the centre has been paid for. Or else it will keep being pumped into it to keep it running.

The levy was charged before the new centre was even planned so it will definitely stay. When I was in first year, it was said to go towards the running of the original student centre. When I first paid it, it was something like 70-odd euro. So it will be interesting to see if the fee is decreased from next year onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UCDSU

Hi all,

Thanks for commenting and I hope the following info will help clarify some issues..

1. We will look into reducing the price of a cup of hot water immediately and keep you informed. S.U. Officers have no direct input into the daily price fluctuations in the shops as they are a separate company with individual managers. However, the SU shops are there to offer a service to students and we are grateful for feedback on all issues.

2. The student centre levy goes directly to the building of the student centre. Once the construction of the student centre is complete, the charge will cease. While some disagree with the charge, it was democratically passed by referendum. Not only the SU but almost all college societies and sports clubs were involved in introducing the referendum. Any charge you pay during your time in college can be written off when you are an alumnus if you are interested in being a member of the gym/leisure facilities. If you are still a student when it is completed next summer, the leisure facilities will be free of charge during your time here.

3. The S.U. receives 12 euro per student per year, of which 5 euro goes to USI. If you are unhappy with how the money is spent, you have every right to air your concerns with your SU officers. If you would like to bring up anything in particular, don't hesitate to e-mail campaigns@ucdsu.ie or call down to our offices.

Hopefully this cleared things up a bit.

If you have any further issues you wish to raise directly, please PM or email us on media@ucdsu.ie

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

UCDSU wrote: »
    Any charge you pay during your time in college can be written off when you are an alumnus if you are interested in being a member of the gym/leisure facilities.

Can you expand further on that point?

From reading the alumni information page on the UCD website, each alumnus has to join the UCD Alumni Association, which costs 30 euro, in addition to paying a further 50 euro for Sports Alumni Membership (only available on production of a current UCD Alumni Association Membership Card), so an alumnus has to fork out 80 euro before they can even use the facilities, and then they have to pay every time they use they facilities if they don't pay a further 220 eur per year for gym membership.

So how exactly can the charges that students pay written off when they become an alumus?

Info. on UCD Alumni Association and Alumni Association Sports Membership was taken from here and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

UCDSU wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks for commenting and I hope the following info will help clarify some issues..

1. We will look into reducing the price of a cup of hot water immediately and keep you informed.
    S.U. Officers have no direct input into the daily price fluctuations in the shops as they are a separate company with individual managers. However, the SU shops are there to offer a service to students and we are grateful for feedback on all issues.

2. The student centre levy goes directly to the building of the student centre. Once the construction of the student centre is complete, the charge will cease. While some disagree with the charge, it was democratically passed by referendum. Not only the SU but almost all college societies and sports clubs were involved in introducing the referendum. Any charge you pay during your time in college can be written off when you are an alumnus if you are interested in being a member of the gym/leisure facilities. If you are still a student when it is completed next summer, the leisure facilities will be free of charge during your time here.

3. The S.U. receives 12 euro per student per year, of which 5 euro goes to USI. If you are unhappy with how the money is spent, you have every right to air your concerns with your SU officers. If you would like to bring up anything in particular, don't hesitate to e-mail campaigns@ucdsu.ie or call down to our offices.

Hopefully this cleared things up a bit.

If you have any further issues you wish to raise directly, please PM or email us on media@ucdsu.ie

Thanks

Have you got an update?

• Advertisement

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

dyl10 wrote: »
    Bump

The account has three posts...... I doubt you'll get a response too quickly.....

Fad wrote: »
    The account has three posts...... I doubt you'll get a response too quickly.....

I emailed them to direct them here.

Note: this is actually just another bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 The Student Blog

5 Euro to the USI ? What a waste...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

15000 on class rep weekends?
    that is absolutely mental, if they were just interested in being class reps for the sake of it they would happily come into ucd on a saturday, find some empty lecture halls and get on with their training...

which as far as i can tell involves showing them how to relay pointless information clogging up our inboxes with duplicated material from the su's emails.

organising class parties? ring the ents officer get some tokens ring a club tell them there's a class party coming... training ffs? literally drinking other students money and the gall to pretend they're doing all this for students benefits...not taking awatyfrom the su's genuine achievements(actually cant think of any but im sure they have something) but this kind of waste is ridiculous

• Advertisement
Advertisement