Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pup with diarrhea

Options
  • 18-09-2010 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

hey all,
    my pup has a sore tummy he has gotten sick like 5 times and has had diarrhea all day!! feel so sorry for him :( just wondering why this might have happened to him I havent changed his diet or anything? also is there any thing I can do to help him feel better??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

soph! wrote: »
    hey all,
    my pup has a sore tummy he has gotten sick like 5 times and has had diarrhea all day!! feel so sorry for him :( just wondering why this might have happened to him I havent changed his diet or anything? also is there any thing I can do to help him feel better??

How old is the pup? Dehydration in a young pup can be very, very serious, even fatal. Are you managing to get any liquid into him? Do you have any diarlyte or anything like that in the house? You need to be syringing that into the side of his mouth in little increments if you can. I'd suggest you phone your vet, they will be able to give you advice over the phone as to whether or not you need to bring him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Yip phone your vet they will be able to advise better but in the meantime dont feed your pup (what age is he?) and get as much water in him/her as possible. If you mix up a pint of warm water with a teaspoon of salt and two teaspoons of sugar and give that instead of plain water.

Hope s/he is ok OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree a young pup might be better at the vets. Has the pup been fully vaccinated yet? One of our dogs had a bad dose last week. Colitis (sp)? Vet said they have started to recommend not fasting when they have the runs. This was news to me coz iv always fasted them. But trick is plenty of water and very small amounts of food regularly. Not any food though something like boiled plain chicken but what i find brilliant is tins of royal canin sensative. It really helps. I was told that you need to get nutrition to the bowl+so+small+amounts+of+food+is+important.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Vet said they have started to recommend not fasting when they have the runs.

Funny you should say that cos when our pup was very small he got the runs and took him to the vets - the vet told us to feed small amounts often...another time it was very bad and a different vet told me to fast him for 12 hours...

OP if you're in any way worried or if the pup starts to get letharigic or looks like he's in pain then straight to the vets.
    Our guy used to get the runs all the time when he was on royal canin so I have some experience in this area :rolleyes:

Are you feeding him dry food? It's sounds like he could be a bit dehydrated and can't digest the food so he's bringing it back up? I'd switch to chicken and rice and pour some water in with the food so it's almost like soup to get the liquids into him. If you don't have chicken/rice then soak the dry food in water and again add water before you feed him. Also as ISDW if you have any dioralyte you can give the pup some to rehydrate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 soph!

Thank you all for your advice!! Elmo is 4months old, he is still sick today not vomiting though. He is eating away but will go buy him chicken and cook him that he is drinking lots so hopefully thats a good thing. as its sunday my vet is closed so cant call him. yep he is fully vac and has been wormed he is scooting along the floor after going to the toilet!!! thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement