Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holly bush.

Options
  • 18-09-2010 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am thinking of buying some of these Holly bushes in Aldi.
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14514.htm

One of the main reasons I want them for my back garden is for the blue tits and sparrows that visit, do holly bushes grow at a fast or slow rate?

Is this a good deal in aldi?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Holly grows quite slowly, though I have one which is now around 14 ft high and the same wide (!) and it has been in about 15 years. The Aldi ones appear to be bog standard holly, ok but a bit dark and straggly. They are not always self fertile and if you want berries you may need a male tree nearby.

I would go to a garden centre and buy one that I know is self fertile, and is going to produce berries. (If you buy a variagated one, be aware that Silver king is female and Golden Queen is male!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Thanks , I didn't know a male and female bush was required for berries...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi Joker

Aldi and Lidl plants are fine if you get them early in the offer cycle. Otherwise they get a bit dried out in the store. Bare root stuff is excellent anytime.

Hollies are slow growing and can be bush or tree types. Trees can be kept low by some judicious pruning of the main growth shoot.

Male and Female are always needed for berries is my understanding of hollies but I am open for correction here if someone can highlight a self fertile variety.

Native Irish hollies are available at most garden centres. Many different varieties including variagated ones that can be funky

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Jc Van Tol is a Self fertile Variety AFAIK. A dark Green leaf...
    There is also a Varigated (Yellow/Green) Cultivar

Quote TheFatMan; Bare root stuff is excellent anytime.Quote

I disagree ... you need to Heal in Bare root plants ASAP ... I Understand some plants roots are sealed in plastic bags to retain moisture on the root, however most I have seen in Shops the roots may have some Peat/Soil falling around the roots which is Dry Not Ideal for a plant that may have been Dug up several weeks before hand...

So Buy Bareroot and PLANT ASAP ...even if it's in a Temp position (Known as Healing in)

• Advertisement

Jezko, what you say is absolutely correct (though I would not buy bare root from a warm supermarket) however do you mind if I point out that the term is 'heeling in' - you make a slit in the ground with a spade, drop in the roots and a good bit of water and push the soil back with your heel. However if the roots are dried out and dead they will not 'heal'.

As you say, it is temporary planting so that the plants are not left in a heap to dry out while you get round to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

looksee wrote: »
    Jezko, what you say is absolutely correct (though I would not buy bare root from a warm supermarket) however do you mind if I point out that the term is 'heeling in' - you make a slit in the ground with a spade, drop in the roots and a good bit of water and push the soil back with your heel. However if the roots are dried out and dead they will not 'heal'.

As you say, it is temporary planting so that the plants are not left in a heap to dry out while you get round to them.

Indeed Looksee.
    Agree with you on both counts

Once Bareroot are allowed to dry out you can not "heal" them ... more than likely they are Dead or badly knocked back at the very least....

And I rarely buy any plant from Supermarkets... let alone bareroot... Too high a Buyers risk.. if they look healthy and Fresh ...have a go... if Dry or stressed don't waste your Money (If the Pot's / tray's have loads of fallen leaves this plant was more than likely stressed (lack of light , water or too much water!! )

Advertisement