Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice on a camera!

• 18-09-2010 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

canon-powershot-a480.jpg

I bought this camera today, it cost me €120.

I found out when I got home that it's powered by batteries so I'm going to return it. I know. I should have asked that question at the till but I'm an idiotic fool and lalala....

So my question is..what should I buy?! I want to get something under €200 because I'm not made of money and I already spent €100 on art materials this week. I want a decent camera, I know that anything under €200 isn't going to take amazing photo's but at the same time I want something that gets the job done! I'm in first year of art college and I need something fairly ok.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I found out when I got home that it's powered by batteries so I'm going to return it. I know. I should have asked that question at the till but I'm an idiotic fool and lalala....

em.... but...., they all are? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

I assume you realised the camera would need a battery power source but thought this one would come with a charger and reusable battery/ies?

I dont know whether this one or not should have come with charger and battery. Maybe that was an optional extra?
    But a glance at pixmania.ie shows the same model costs €80 + P+P.

Can't advise you on what to buy though. There's just so many cameras out there. Canon is good. Can't see this one being a problem for what you need if you sort out the battery/charger thing. Did you get a memory card?

And remember, it's not so much the camera as the creativity of the person taking the pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It uses 2 x AA batteries. Rechargables preferably for economic reasons

5001804801_f673402668.jpg
    Canon a480 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭.Conor.

Stick with it, the canon powershots are fantastic. get litheum or re-chargable batteries and it will be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Nothing wrong with "normal" batteries really... my dslr takes normal batteries, and it's fantastic to know that if you head off somewhere unexpectedly and need power, you can get it at any corner shop.
    And there's always rechargeable ones if you don't like forking out for batteries every time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Other than the issue with the Batteries you have not said what you require from your camera. I would think that for point & shoot type of photography that would fit the bill. You can pick up an AA charger with 4 batteries for about €20 which will give you two to use and a spare set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

CabanSail wrote: »
    Other than the issue with the Batteries you have not said what you require from your camera. I would think that for point & shoot type of photography that would fit the bill. You can pick up an AA charger with 4 batteries for about €20 which will give you two to use and a spare set.

You can also get some Sanyo eneloops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pimark

Did they take it back for you ? What did you get if so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Argos had the A480 for about 80€ up till recently

They have the A490 for €72 now which looks the same
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5593677/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/Trail/searchtext%3ECANON.htm

Advertisement