Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American AC adapter shipped Bike light - ok to to use in Ireland? (pic/spec attached)

• 18-09-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Bought some lights and the batteries are rechargeable.

Can I get an adapter and use this here without frying my batteries?

Please see attached batteries.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Yeah you can buy an adapter in any decent electrical store. I have one for my laptop which I bought in Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Yeah you can buy an adapter in any decent electrical store. I have one for my laptop which I bought in Canada.

I was think that. Sorry I didnt get one on the last air lingus flight I was on.
    I will have a look on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You don't need a voltage transformer. Just a simple white adapter from the airport will do. Or you could cut the plug off and put on a UK one.

In Europe and UK (&Ireland) Mains Voltage is 220V
    America is 110V

Where it says 'INPUT 100-240V' means you can use it in either region.

You don't need a voltage transformer. Just a simple white adapter from the airport will do. Or you could cut the plug off and put on a UK one.

America is 110V

I think its an ac adapter as well (reducing current), so cant cut and wire an Irish plug to it. I had considered that. Perhaps Im wrong, but I think 240 volts running to 4 small batteries will fry them.

Will run with an usa to UK convertor, its the safer bet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

America is 110V

No you can't do that, the batteries could explode. The reason that plug is so bulky is because there is a step-down ac to dc transformer in the plug.You can see on the label that the input is 100-240 alternating current and the output is 8.5 volts direct current!

• Advertisement

pajero12 wrote: »
    No you can't do that, the batteries could explode. The reason that plug is so bulky is because there is a step-down ac to dc transformer in the plug.You can see on the label that the input is 100-240 alternating current and the output is 8.5 volts direct current!

When I was about 9 years old I connected one cable to my hornby train set track and one cable to the other track and plugged it in as I had run out of batteries. The engine went fast on the tracks for two seconds then smoke

:-(

240 volts didnt suit the engine.

Santy didnt replace it either.

But I disnt fully learn my lesson on voltages.

Later when I was about 12 I soldered a cable to a bulb in a hand torch and
    plugged it in. It blew the glass from the top of the torch off!

Since those two events Im cautious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

magicshine?

looks identical to my one

just went down te 2 euro shop and got an adaptor 2 flat pin to 3 pin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

all you need is a standard adapter, 2 pin to 13A 3 pin. Adapter fuse should be either 3A or 5A. The charger itself is fully rated for the mains voltage here and when plugged in shall deliver the almost the same energy to the batteries as if it were used in US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

pajero12 wrote: »
    Apologies you are quite correct about that. I didn't look too closely at the plug itself, just the sticker. Just put one of those white adapters on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

You need an adapter like this

UK-Plug.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement