Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old plane

Options
  • 18-09-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,picked this plane up at a market in France for the princely sum of €1.
    Seems in ok condition,blade a little rusty though, and quite tight. Is brute force the only way to get the blade out, I'm assuming the wooden tongue shouldn't be so tight as to require a tool to aid removing? Due to a lack of money I passed on an equally old rebate plane for €12,I'm sorry now.

[IMG][/img]img0991z.jpg Shot at 2010-09-18
    [IMG][/img]img0990gb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Nice plane and sure what right minded person would pass it at €1 :D

The wedge should be pretty tight, if it werent then the blade would chatter and wouldnt cut well at all. To remove it, tap it with a mallet, or piece of wood from side to side until it becomes loose enough to pull out. Having probably not been removed for a number of years its probably stuck solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Using a teaspoon, dribble some white spirit around the wedge and mouth opening, this might help to break the rust "bond". Great looking plane for the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Great stuff men,thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

A great way to clean those wooden planes up whilst maintaining the "patina" of age and use is to use white spirit and nylon pot scrubs (the fine ones), rubbing with the grain. This will remove most of the muck. I then treat them with a turps and boiled linseed oil solution, allow to soak in and rub off the excess, smells great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I rather like the dirty look of it,apart from the rust that is,I think I'll leave the wood as is. Be interested to know what species the wood is,am I right in thinking Lignum vitae (sp) or some other Latin sounding name was generally used for old planes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

A lot of planes like this were made of Beech as it was pretty hard wearing, had a fine grain and wasnt as likely to warp or twist. Cant see from the pic, but my money would be on beech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Grain doesn't look very fine on this particular plane, but still probably beech. Fat chance of it being Lignum Vitae :(

Intersting to note from the pic is that the grain is very even and perfectly square with the base, which I guess would be the best way to make a wooden plane to keep the wear even and the sole as true a possible.

Advertisement