Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Local History Question

Options
  • 18-09-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello All,

I recall recently hearing the name of the building (from when it would have been a private dwelling) which the happy pear now occupies on church rd. But for the life of me I can't remember it! It's been a grocery shop of some kind since the day I was born, which was only twenty years ago :D, so I'm wondering if anyone might remember the name. I've heard that the building might have been used as office for a period beforehand though?

Cheers,
    Michael.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"Le Paysan" restaurant used to be in the upstairs and they also had a deli in the right hand ground-floor unit, with the pre-Happy Pear grocery shop (whose name escapes me) in the left hand unit. Prior to that I think they were private houses - there was a wall out the front, much like the house Caviston's took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 roloisking

"charlie's" a vegetable shop was there first and the building was called "Westview".

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Cheers folks, great info! did a quick google of "westview greystones" and turns out that Caviston's is "no.1 Westview, chruch Rd", with the optician's also being listed as "the mews, westview, church rd." Looks like a small section of the main street used to be known as westview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

and before Le Paysan there was a Pizza(Pizza Mill) shop there downstairs, then she moved over to where the Chinese take away is now near the Hungry Monk.

From Boards.ie 20-08-2004, 13:23
    best pizza in my opinion is
    Serpicos in Wicklow Town.

It's run by the people who used to run The Pizza Mill in Greystones and the pizzas are fab.
    Depending on who's working at the time the toppings can be a bit scabby but usually they're great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

loyatemu wrote: »
    "Le Paysan" restaurant used to be in the upstairs and they also had a deli in the right hand ground-floor unit, with the pre-Happy Pear grocery shop (whose name escapes me) in the left hand unit. Prior to that I think they were private houses - there was a wall out the front, much like the house Caviston's took over.

I don't think there was a grocery shop there. I may be wrong in my recollection. Millers from Ballinastoe opened a vegetable shop where the Happy Pear is now(left handside building). Millers had a small chain of veg shops At that time Miller intended to compete against Byrnes veg shop where Brook & Shoal are now and also against another veg shop which was run by 2 brothers beside Declan's barbers.
    Miller is now selling stone monuments from a large yard in Roundwood.
    Charlies took over from Millers and ran it very successfully.
    There used to be a grocery shop where OBriens off licence was. That was a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Guess it's westview as it's facing West.

The Pizza mill was a gift at the time especially when they moved accross the road and you could sit with your byo. A good spot for teenagers and young adults.

Advertisement