Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you doing Philosophy?

Options
  • 18-09-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I am doing Philosophy and am sort of regretting my choice.Its very interesting and all but i cant get my head around most of it.Am trying to read some of Aristotles Metaphysics at the moment and it aint goin into my brain :eek:
    Also reading Homer Odyssey which is going in but am getting confused.
    Anyone else finding it all overwhelming?
    Im getting mixed up with each module.....and dont like that i have modern phil lecture directly followed by greek phil lecture.Dont have enough time to absorb what ive heard in one lecture before next one starts.
    Anyone who has already been thru first year philosophy, does it get easier??
    Im worried that im not gonna be able to follow or do well in this subject.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Oh **** I picked two philosophy modules as my electives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

LauraLuck wrote: »
    I am doing Philosophy and am sort of regretting my choice.Its very interesting and all but i cant get my head around most of it.Am trying to read some of Aristotles Metaphysics at the moment and it aint goin into my brain :eek:
    Also reading Homer Odyssey which is going in but am getting confused.
    Anyone else finding it all overwhelming?
    Im getting mixed up with each module.....and dont like that i have modern phil lecture directly followed by greek phil lecture.Dont have enough time to absorb what ive heard in one lecture before next one starts.
    Anyone who has already been thru first year philosophy, does it get easier??
    Im worried that im not gonna be able to follow or do well in this subject.:(

The preceding statement answers that question. You also have to bear in mind, you've just started studying philosophy, it's going to take time to learn. You're brain is like any other muscle, you just need to exercise it. Keep reading, that's all you can do. It is probably one of the hardest subjects but it's also probably one of the best subjects to study.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I did three philosophy modules in first year. One I hated, the other two I loved and were probably my two favourite modules I did all year. Some of the lectures were brilliant, but it's definitely not an easy subject. I found the essays were like squeezing water from a stone. However, they take it fairly easy on you in the exams in first year. I'm glad I did it, but I don't think I'd fancy doing any 2nd or 3rd year modules in it which I'd imagine are much harder.

Anyway, if you finding it a bit overwhelming my advice is to make sure you read the primary texts before the lecture rather than after. A lecture on Descartes isn't going to make much sense if you haven't already read him.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

Take your time with it. I done philosophy out there a couple of years ago. In First year you really just have to show you understand the main points. One of the lecturers ( I think it was Tim Mooney) told us that the idea of philosophy in first year was:

1: Read the text
    2: Be able to describe the main points
    3: Form an opinion on the text
    4: Explain why you have that opinion.

Your opinion doesn't have to 'right'. I'm sure they've said that there's no such thing as an absolute right opinion in philosophy. What matters is that you have a rational opinion on the main points.

As El Siglo said, it's your first time studying this stuff, so it's only natural to have a bit of trouble getting used to it. So just take your time with it and don't put pressure on yourself to be understanding everything straight away and writing fantastic essays straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Did you do Intro to problems of Philosophy? Could you tell me if it's any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's analytical philosophy which may be your thing or it may not. It certainly wasn't mine. Some people took to it really well but I thought it was pointless. Having said that, it is a very broad (rather than deep) course, and if you go to all the lectures and take down the slides, it is probably an easy enough module to pass. However, if you miss lectures you are pretty much screwed as the Blackboard content and recommended reading isn't much use for catching up.

I did, but the syllabus changed just after I finished so I don't know if it's the same course. At the time it was interesting as the lecturer (i think it's the same lecturer now) used a lot of movies to help demonstrate the different topics. So your 'homework' was to watch the Matrix, Memento and Minority Report. Plus it helps with a lot of the other courses I think.

Put it this way, if I was doing the course again I would definitely do Philosophical problems again.

It's still the same course. But I think a different lecturer filled in the year before last and he did it differently. Maria Baghramian is the usual lecturer and has been doing it for years.

I wouldn't do it again personally, but I agree with Seosaimh77 that it helps with the other modules. It also probably eases you into the study of philosophy better than the others do. I just found the political and social aspects of the other modules more interesting.

It's still the same course. But I think a different lecturer filled in the year before last and he did it differently. Maria Baghramian is the usual lecturer and has been doing it for years.

I wouldn't do it again personally, but I agree with Seosaimh77 that it helps with the other modules. It also probably eases you into the study of philosophy better than the others do. I just found the political and social aspects of the other modules more interesting.
    Yeah that is the area I preferred too. Seemed to have much more of a practical feel to it, whereas the more analytical stuff is interesting, but less practical in a day to day sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 LauraLuck

Thank you all for your replies and advice.I will try not to put extreme pressure on myself and just try to absorb what i read, and look at those links.Im doing all the philosophy modules this year(oh except one coz of time clash), am thinkiing im a bit nuts to have chosen them all.Ive been reading descartes meditations as was our 'homework' and am trying to get to grips with it.Am making notes and writing down questions it throws up for me so hopefully i will have something to say if asked.
    But i havent had a chance to do the recommended reading assigned to be read after each lecture.:o
    I do find it interesting but as some of you have said there is no right or wrong in opinons/answers but for me i think that makes it harder coz you have so much thinking to do and its mind-bending.I spoke to Mooney and he said 'you will never sleep again.....philosophy makes you think so much.' :P
    Do the essays wreck your head??
    Will i be having a nervous breakdown in a few weeks?? haha its probable.

And now i shall continue my reading of Odyssey.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I did philosophy in first year in UCD, i failed (only got 13%) because i hated it so much and could not sudy it properly so i repeated first year in the end and made sure i dropped philosophy.

I think this was purely cause i did not like it though, i do well at things i like. after changing subjects i went on to get a 2.1 in exams in all three of my years. its so important to do subjects you have a real interest in. do you like it? if not can you not still change? i cannot remember the rules around changing now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pacelli

I've just started my postgrad in Philosophy.
    Trust me, as soon as it stops being a history lesson & more contemporary discussion on things, you'll love it. Stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I'm trying to pick between Intro to Moral Philosphy and Intro to Problems of Philosophy as an elective.

bigred100 wrote: »
    I'm trying to pick between Intro to Moral Philosphy and Intro to Problems of Philosophy as an elective.

I didn't do it, but I heard Moral Philosophy is quite hard. However, I think they have tutorials every week to help.

I do find it interesting but as some of you have said there is no right or wrong in opinons/answers but for me i think that makes it harder coz you have so much thinking to do and its mind-bending.

Do the essays wreck your head??

Well all essays wrecked my head in each subject... including philosophy.

All the thinking does make it harder - it's not like just learning maths theorems and you know exactly what you have to do. But it gets easier once you form your own opinion on a topic. You rarely forget your own opinion or why you thought that way, so it can make it easier to remember some important things.

bigred100 wrote: »
    Personally I preferred Problems to Philosophy in first year, but I got more into moral philosophy in later years and ended up doing a masters heavily based on moral philosophy. But I think Problems of philosophy was easier in first year.

Seosaimh77 wrote: »
    Well all essays wrecked my head in each subject... including philosophy.

All the thinking does make it harder - it's not like just learning maths theorems and you know exactly what you have to do. But it gets easier once you form your own opinion on a topic. You rarely forget your own opinion or why you thought that way, so it can make it easier to remember some important things.

Thanks Seosaimh.makes sense,my opinions and thoughts are always gonna be in my mind.
    But also Aghhhh just saw the titles of Modern Philosophy essays.........omg havent a clue which one to choose.Dont know much yet about Hobbes or Descartes.Can i cry now?? :(:(:P;):(:(

Cry away:D ...or...

I'm guessing you haven't got around to read Hobbes or Descartes much yet?? So you wouldn't know much about the topics yet. The good thing about having the essay titles is that you can focus your reading now. As you read through the texts, you can make a note of things that seem relevant to the essays.

Hobbes is kinda easy, but the text is massive (I presume it's Leviathan). So unless the essay is focussed on a small part of the book, I'd steer clear.

Descartes is the opposite. Personally I'd choose Descartes regardless of the essay title. It's easier to disagree with something and back it up with your reasons, and there is a lot of areas to disagree with Descartes. So for a first philosophy essay, it might be best to pick on him like a big bully:p

What are the titles?

Cry away:D ...or...

I'm guessing you haven't got around to read Hobbes or Descartes much yet?? So you wouldn't know much about the topics yet. The good thing about having the essay titles is that you can focus your reading now. As you read through the texts, you can make a note of things that seem relevant to the essays.

Hobbes is kinda easy, but the text is massive (I presume it's Leviathan). So unless the essay is focussed on a small part of the book, I'd steer clear.

Descartes is the opposite. Personally I'd choose Descartes regardless of the essay title. It's easier to disagree with something and back it up with your reasons, and there is a lot of areas to disagree with Descartes. So for a first philosophy essay, it might be best to pick on him like a big bully:p

What are the titles?

Titles are
    1. What are the core characteristics of Hobbes' sovereign? What criticisms can be made of his theory of sovereignty,and how might it be defended?

or

2. Outline the steps of the argument Descartes employs to establish the indubitability of his own existence. Offer your own critical assessment of his argument.

2000 words max.

I have Leviathan but have yet to attempt reading it.
    Have Descartes Meditations but have only read the first one.

The titles make my mind go swirly :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Do number 2. It is so simple and straight-forward

Do number 2. It is so simple and straight-forward

Thank you for the advice. Straightforward? I hope, have lots of reading to do now on Descartes, not sure what he says about his existence :) oh wait he's the dude who said 'I think therefore I am' isnt he? Yep i will really have to get to know him personally :P

Descartes and I will be an item til bout the 29th Oct at 3pm lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Thank you for the advice. Straightforward? I hope, have lots of reading to do now on Descartes, not sure what he says about his existence :) oh wait he's the dude who said 'I think therefore I am' isnt he? Yep i will really have to get to know him personally :P

/backs away from LauraLuck the looper :p

:D Haha - good stuff.

Yeah I agree with Randolph. When you get through Meditations you'll see that the essay is straightforward cos it gives you the structure of your essay - just go through each meditation in order, and then focus on the bits in the later meditations for where you've to give your opinion on his reasoning. I actually did that essay myself, but I dont have it anymore

/backs away from LauraLuck the looper :p

Thats what they call me ;)

:D Haha - good stuff.

Yeah I agree with Randolph. When you get through Meditations you'll see that the essay is straightforward cos it gives you the structure of your essay - just go through each meditation in order, and then focus on the bits in the later meditations for where you've to give your opinion on his reasoning. I actually did that essay myself, but I dont have it anymore

Thank you, that has helped.I had taken lots of notes after reading first meditation and wrote down questions it raised, my mind went off on a tangeant, but will read thru them in order and slowly so i get into it.
    Hopefully i can get it done right and on time.

:D or me and he will have a rocky relationship :D

Advertisement