Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mildly allergic to cats that I am looking after. Help!

Options
  • 18-09-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

I'm house sitting for some friends that are away for 3 weeks. All is going well but they have 2 cats and I am starting to have a reaction to them.

Just dry eyes, runny nose and sneezing. The cats are unbelievably friendly so completely avoiding contact with them is pretty much impossible.

Im keeping the place pretty clean and hair free. Is there any mild over the counter stuff that might help?

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hya

You can get an over the counter medication such as zyrtek/Piriton or similar with antihistamines. Just be careful though as some of them make you drowsey. They are fairly inexpensive and hopefully will make you feel better:D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Great thanks. Dont think I could survive 3 weeks of this!

Are you living in the house with the cats or calling up to feed, clean after them etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Pirition will make you very drowsy. If you're getting a big reaction in your sinus, try a nasal spray. Go browse the antihistamine section of the chemist shop. I find over the counter pills to be useless for my animal allergies, because the allergens are ever-present and the pills need to be used cumulatively, on a one-a-day, every day basis for them to build up resistance.

However the nasal sprays get right to the root of the problem as it were, reducing the inflammation and irritation in my sinuses within 10 minutes. They're not hugely pleasant to take, but they're very effective.

You need to hoover where the cats sit and the carpets and floors. If you're game, you can try getting a damp facecloth and wiping the cats down - it isn't the hair, per se that causes the allergy. Most people are allergic to the protein in a cat's saliva - and as they wash themselves so much, that protein is distributed through their hair and over their skin. Hence the protein coats the hair shafts and the skin dander.

This can also be why, if you cuddle the cats, the protein transfers to your hands and can set off a real allergic reaction. Wash your hands after stroking them to minimise the reaction.

You may also find that towards the end of your cat-sitting period, your allergies improve - your body tends to adjust to a constant allergen through over-exposure, which is why I tell anyone adopting a new cat, give it a month. Never let the cat in your bedroom, but give it a month and see if your allergies improve to the point where you realise you CAN keep the cat, if you vaccum regularly and dust and wash your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My advice, as a cat person who is no allergic to cats (some random neighbours cat beside me now) is leave them alone. Cats are fine without human contact. Give them food, water and if possible some clean litter and they are fine for days at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I used to get alleric to our cat when he was shedding and needed to be brushed. I use Zirtek btw and it's not drowsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'm horribly allergic to cats, unless I'm constantly exposed to them. (Luckily I foster a lot of cats!)

One thing to do is wash your hands immediately after you've rubbed the cats and what ever you do don't touch your face (particularly your eyes) after you've been in contact with the cats.

Don't sit or spend any time around their sleeping spot, which could be the couch or a particular armchair.

Any of the anti-histamines are good but Piriton does make a lot of people drowsy. Clarytin works very well for my brother, who's also allergic to cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'm the same - allergic if I haven't been around the cats for a while. Though my long-haired cat (on my lap at the moment) still sets me off. Agree with previous poster, golden rule is not to touch your eyes until you've washed your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Thanks for all the advice.

Im living with the cats although I am out a lot with work etc.

There are 2 cats at my mums place that I never had a reaction to, but they mainly kept to themselves.

Il drop into a pharmacy tomorrow and see what they have.

Thanks.

There is also eye drops you can get to help along with the tablets. Opticrom is one that I use.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement