Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs V Arsenal Carling Cup

Options
  • 18-09-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

7:45 Sky Sports 2
    I think this is a great opertunity for some fringe players and youngsters to get game time and impress in a competitive fixture and I think Wenger will see it the same resting their key players I'd love to see Gio, Livermore,Caulker and Naughton start and Sandro is set to make his Debut hopefully from the start
    Pletikosa---
    Naughton-Caulker--Bassong--?
    Bently--Sandro--Livermore--Niko
    Gio
    Pav
    I'd like it if we rested BAE but don't know who else we have for there?
    Maybe start Hutton on the right and Naughton on the left?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

7:45 Sky Sports 2
    I think this is a great opertunity for some fringe players and youngsters to get game time and impress in a competitive fixture and I think Wenger will see it the same resting their key players I'd love to see Gio, Livermore,Caulker and Naughton start and Sandro is set to make his Debut hopefully from the start
    Pletikosa---
    Naughton-Caulker--Bassong--?
    Bently--Sandro--Livermore--Niko
    Gio
    Pav
    I'd like it if we rested BAE but don't know who else we have for there?
    Maybe start Hutton on the right and Naughton on the left?

think Harry will go for a stronger line up than that. Expect Hutton,Pav, Keane and Willy all to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yeah, Keane needs some confidence and he could get a goal or two against Arsene's youngsters. I dont think we should take this competition as serious as we have been doing in recent years. Its beneath us at this stage:-D!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd like to see this line-up against Arsenal:

Pletikosa
    Hutton---Kaboul---Bassong---Naughton
    Giovani---Palacios---Sandro---Kranjcar
    Keane---Pavlyuchenko

Hopefully Keane and Pav can get among the goals, and Hutton deserves another chance to show what he can do after todays performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Pletikosa

hutton
    bassong
    kaboul
    ekotto

bentley
    sandro
    niko ----gio

pav
    keane

dont think wilson will start as he is on the first team quite a bit . that is very much our second side

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Defoe reckons Pav will come on and notch a couple 2-1 Spurs, Then Wright says the exact same except changes Pav for Chamack :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Mickman has the right one there IMHO.

I heard Kaboul could be out for a couple of weeks with his calf strain hopefully not but it would mean Caulker or Corluka in CD on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Wilson,Niko,Keane,Pav,Gio, Sandro, Seb all need game time.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Wilson,Niko,Keane,Pav,Gio, Sandro, Seb all need game time.

COYS

Yeah, Wilson hasn't had much of a look in so far this season, and he has looked off the pace in most games (bar his cameo against Bremen), so he definitely needs a game. Similarly with Keane and Pav, both need the game to find some sharpness and form. Niko has been unlucky to fall down the pecking order with the arrival Rafa and the outstanding form of Bale at LM. I'm sure he'll have a big part to play during the season, so a good run-out here will be important.

Hopefully we can get the win, and give ourselves another fixture in a few weeks time where the squad players can get more usefulgame time. We've a big squad, and although we're suffering a bit with injuries at the moment there are still plenty players who haven't got much of a look in, so these games are important from the point-of-view of keeping the morale of the fringe players up too.

Not mad about reading such things the day before we play them.

After scoring on his home debut for Tottenham Hotspur, Rafael van der Vaart has further endeared himself to his new supporters by claiming he is at the biggest club in north London.

GettyImages

Van Der Vaart scores from the spot for Tottenham to equalise

Van der Vaart joined Spurs from Real Madrid on transfer deadline day and marked his first appearance at White Hart Lane with a converted penalty in Saturday's 3-1 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The Dutchman is now looking forward to Tuesday's Carling Cup tie against bitter rivals Arsenal and claims that despite an inferior collection of trophies, Spurs are the kings of north London.

"I know Robin van Persie and he told me when we were together in the national team what a big game it is," Van der Vaart said. "But there was no banter over who is the bigger club. Spurs are the bigger club!"

The Dutchman has settled quickly into Harry Redknapp's side and says his rapid acclimatisation is in part thanks to the positive brand of football that Spurs employ, as well as his knowledge of the English language.

"I love it here because we are a team who love to play football," he said. "When you feel at home and know the language it is easier.

"In Spain for the first year I didn't understand anybody, so it was really difficult. Here I can talk with the players and the manager. The only problem is driving on the left-hand side!"

• Advertisement

Younes Kaboul and Vedran Corluka have joined our injury list ahead of the Carling Cup derby against Arsenal on Tuesday night.

Younes was forced off just before half-time against Wolves on Saturday with a hamstring problem while 'Charlie' suffered a back injury in training last week, ruling him out of action for Wolves and now Arsenal.

Michael Dawson (ankle/knee) and Jermain Defoe (ankle) are also out although better news saw Luka Modric back in training on Monday after his leg injury at West Brom last weekend.

Harry Redknapp said he will utilise the squad for the third round encounter at the Lane and hinted that new signing Sandro will make his debut against the Gunners.

"We've got lots of players who need a game and I'm talking about the likes of Niko Kranjcar, David Bentley, Wilson Palacios and Giovani, top-quality players," said Harry.

"Sandro also needs a game and I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays.

"We've also players who have played most of the games and I can't keeping using them, I have to protect them. I have to do what's right for the team.

"We had lots of centre-halves here a week ago but we've lost Younes to a hamstring injury, Charlie has a back injury, Michael Dawson is also out long-term and suddenly we've three central defenders.

"Ledley can't play Saturday, midweek every week and William Gallas has come in without any real training and done a great job for us, played 90 minutes at West Brom, 90 against Wolves, but he had cramp towards the end of Saturday, so we have to be careful."

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Looking forward to this one tonight. It will be interesting to see some of the fringe players get playing time tonight. The new boy Sandro will make his debut. Harry has compared him to Socrates the great Brazilian player of old. If he is half as good as Socrates then we will have a superb asset in midfield.
    I hope Harry takes this game as seriously as the fans do. I know we are now in the Champions league but for me I still desperately want us to beat Ar****l no matter what competition it is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Be interesting to see if our second team is better than their's :)

slegs wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if our second team is better than their's :)

our second team will be full of internationals and a good team in its own right but arsenals second team is full of very young players who just love to play the ball around and have no fear of anyone. so i think it will be a close game - should win though with if the likes of pav / bentley play etc

I'm hoping Caulker Naughton Sandro and Gio in particular play really well and give us more options we are down to three Centre Backs now from 5 last week It should be mentioned Sandro can Play CB actually in an emergency and can move around better than Hudd too by the looks of things

mickman wrote: »
    our second team will be full of internationals and a good team in its own right but arsenals second team is full of very young players who just love to play the ball around and have no fear of anyone. so i think it will be a close game - should win though with if the likes of pav / bentley play etc

Agree with Mickman here. It shows you how far we have come as a club- our second team is full of internationals.

Tonight we could start with:

Pletikosa - Croatian international with 80 caps
    Gallas- France with 80 odd caps also
    Bassong - Cameroon international
    Hutton- Scottish full back
    Bae - Cameroon international - 1st team regular.
    Sandro- Brazilian international who just won the Copa Libertadores
    Palacios- Signed for 12million and played in the WC with Honduras
    Gio- Mexican superstar
    Niko- Class player with 50 caps for Croatia.
    Pav- Russian hitman
    Robbie- 44 goals in 100 games for us.

We should hammer Ar****ls young boys with that team.

Agree with Mickman here. It shows you how far we have come as a club- our second team is full of internationals.

Tonight we could start with:

Pletikosa - Croatian international with 80 caps
    Gallas- France with 80 odd caps also
    Bassong - Cameroon international
    Hutton- Scottish full back
    Bae - Cameroon international - 1st team regular.
    Sandro- Brazilian international who just won the Copa Libertadores
    Palacios- Signed for 12million and played in the WC with Honduras
    Gio- Mexican superstar
    Niko- Class player with 50 caps for Croatia.
    Pav- Russian hitman
    Robbie- 44 goals in 100 games for us.

We should hammer Ar****ls young boys with that team.
    Gallas won't start he was cramping up at the end against Wolves we can't afford to loose another Centre back

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Gallas chickened out it seems.

Not as brave as auld Campbell was.

DB10 wrote: »
    Gallas chickened out it seems.

Not as brave as auld Campbell was.
    I doubt that's it he has only played two games since the world cup

I doubt that's it he has only played two games since the world cup

So he needs a "rest" then?

TR Aitor

• Advertisement

So he needs a "rest" then?

TR Aitor

he was injured at the end of the match on sat for goodness sake. with dawson out he will be one of our first choice centre halves, he will not be risked in the carling cup

Not be risked eh?

Sounds like he's pulled out tbh. Typical Spurs mentality. You're probably better off with him not playing anyway. He's an embarrassment.

Not be risked eh?

Sounds like he's pulled out tbh. Typical Spurs mentality. You're probably better off with him not playing anyway. He's an embarrassment.

what are you talking about, typical spurs mentality. carling cup is not a priority so players that are injured or just a little injured wont be played , comprende?

obviously ur not a spurs fan "your probably better off without him". go to your own forum like a good boy

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

Id say he would play if it ws his choice. I can imagine him chomping at the bit to get a crack at arsenal.

Not be risked eh?

I dont think this is the forum for you my friend.

Eh lads who is going to play CB for us tonight?
    Bassong and AN Other.
    Gallas is out injured (according to the BBC website) alongside Dawson, Woody, Charlie, Kaboul. Ledley will hardly play again.
    Hudd? I know he has played there before but he was supposed to be rested tonight.
    Will Harry give the young lad Caulker a chance?

Caulker will step in if he's fit to start otherwise Sandro or Livermore might have to step in there.

Pletikosa;
    Naughton, Caulker, Bassong, Assou-Ekotto;
    Bentley, Livermore, Palacios, Sandro, Giovani;
    Pavlyuchenko.

SUBS: Cudicini, Hutton, Huddlestone, Jenas, Kranjcar, Lennon, Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Pavlyuchenko.

Pav on his own up front, I don't know about that.

• Advertisement

Bassong captaining the side be interesting to see how pav does on his own and how Gio does on the left.

Advertisement