Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs V Arsenal Carling Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Kold wrote: »
    What a ****ing shambles. Naughton and Caulker have been shocking. Bentley and Keane showing that they're not first team material. Palacios also looks crap. Turned it off now. Not watching anymore of that bollocks. How the game went to extra time is beyond me.

totally disagree with u on caulker. apart from the stupid challange for the pen i thought he had a fairly good game. keane was good too i thought. linked up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

How crap was Bentley? He offered absolutely nothing and Niko should've been brought on much earlier than he was. Shocking performance though.

Pletikosa; hadnt much to do. poor for the cross in injury time at the end of normal time but apart from that he was ok.

Naughton,very poor game i think. not ready for this level yet. outta his debth. poor passing poor positional sence. still young though.
    Caulker apart form the pen i think he was quite good
    Bassong, decent. one of our better performers. unlucky with the pen??
    Assou-Ekotto; decent with the ball i felt but a ticking time bomb. should have given a pen away in first half.

Bentley, less said the better. had one good run in 120mins! actually had a 20 min period in the second half when i thought he had went off!
    Livermore, unluck i felt to be taken off at half time. i thought he was better than palacios or at least more effective.
    Palacios, having a bad run of form. would have preferered to see niko start personally.
    Sandro, got better as the game went on. looks promosing. started off poor.
    Giovani; very ineffective prob not tru his own fault. he didnt get much of the balll and u cant influence a game without the ball.

Pavlyuchenko. if im brutally honest better than i expected. more active than he has been of late. still terrible.
    keane, i thought he was good when he came on at half time. kept the ball scored a goal which got us back in the game(we were not in the game first half!)
    lennon, still not at his best. should have scored or at least shot when one on one instead of waiting on the challange.
    niko, didnt have much time to make a name for himself. game was over at that stage.
    this is just my view on the game i know some here will disagree with me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Harsh picking on the 2 kids.
    What happened to following them through the good and bad times ?
    Of course I'll follow them, but I wasn't willing to sit through that when I have reading to do for my thesis. It's hardly harsh saying they had a shocking game when they did, imo. Maybe you can't compare the players but Wilshere had a great game by anybody's standards. True, they're young and I'm sure have tons of potential but there were so many mistakes tonight that it was a wonder that we made it to extra time in the first place.
    Also, Keane really needs to be shipped off for the sake of his reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Kold wrote: »
    Of course I'll follow them, but I wasn't willing to sit through that when I have reading to do for my thesis. It's hardly harsh saying they had a shocking game when they did, imo. Maybe you can't compare the players but Wilshere had a great game by anybody's standards. True, they're young and I'm sure have tons of potential but there were so many mistakes tonight that it was a wonder that we made it to extra time in the first place.
    Also, Keane really needs to be shipped off for the sake of his reputation.

Ah fcuk your thesis :D joking...

In your opinion, and your entitled to it. I think the centre half did well. The right back was caught out a few times alright, but he'll learn.

Wilkshire is excellent. He was excellent for bolton at the lane earlier this year too.

Easy to pick on keane, it's boring at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The Arse played us off the field tbh,our team wasn't strong enough on the night and I know Bentley was very poor but it was his first game of the season and he had to play extra time as well he couldn't have been fit enough for that, anyone else disappointed in the way the Spurs fans deserted the Stadium? I thought it looked really bad especially against them cnuts.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

larry1 wrote: »
    Feck it, it's only the poxy Carling Cup ;) We have the Champions League to win:D (bet you didn't think we would say that this time last year!)

COYS

Realistically we only had a chance of winning either the CC or the FA cup this season and we've blown the chance of one of those tonight. This "only the CC" shows a small club mentality cos chances are twill be the chavs, the goons or man u who end up winning it!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

keane=cock wrote: »
    Pletikosa; hadnt much to do. poor for the cross in injury time at the end of normal time but apart from that he was ok.

Naughton,very poor game i think. not ready for this level yet. outta his debth. poor passing poor positional sence. still young though.
    Caulker apart form the pen i think he was quite good
    Bassong, decent. one of our better performers. unlucky with the pen??
    Assou-Ekotto; decent with the ball i felt but a ticking time bomb. should have given a pen away in first half.

Bentley, less said the better. had one good run in 120mins! actually had a 20 min period in the second half when i thought he had went off!
    Livermore, unluck i felt to be taken off at half time. i thought he was better than palacios or at least more effective.
    Palacios, having a bad run of form. would have preferered to see niko start personally.
    Sandro, got better as the game went on. looks promosing. started off poor.
    Giovani; very ineffective prob not tru his own fault. he didnt get much of the balll and u cant influence a game without the ball.

Pavlyuchenko. if im brutally honest better than i expected. more active than he has been of late. still terrible.
    keane, i thought he was good when he came on at half time. kept the ball scored a goal which got us back in the game(we were not in the game first half!)
    lennon, still not at his best. should have scored or at least shot when one on one instead of waiting on the challange.
    niko, didnt have much time to make a name for himself. game was over at that stage.
    this is just my view on the game i know some here will disagree with me
    Spot on Caulker I thought was excellent except for the penalty Bassong was also good don't think that one was a penalty Sandro was a different player second half looked very promising can't believe he's only 21 Bently was terrible at fault for the first goal really and Naughton wasn't up to it.
    Dissapointed to see Palacios come out second half he should of gone off instead of Livermore. Keane was excellent I thought he did everything really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

starting from the back, caulker and bassong were good ,especially bassong. his peno wasnt one in my opinion, caulkers one definetely was. chamach was heading for the corner flag and there was no need to take him out of it. ekotto was good but his tackle in the first half was a blatant penalty.does it not worry anyone that we have zero cover for LB, ekotto has to play every single game.
    naughton was only ok - a bit disinterested

sandro got better and better as the game went on, he was rusty and a few passes went astray but i think he will be top class, his work effort was excellent.

lennon / gio - both hopeless. gio is gone in january id say.

pav / keane - both tried hard but didnt get much ball from midfield. keanes goal was offside and a woeful attempt, my grannie would have saved it. if it was saved keane would be slated as he had so much time and space to take it in further

wilson - did ok i thought, started second half well with good tackles but faded

and last of all bentley - this man is a waste of a jersey, simple as that.

tippspur wrote: »
    I know Bentley was very poor but it was his first game of the season and he had to play extra time as well he couldn't have been fit enough for that,

Ballacks. He didn't try from the first whistle. Run yourself in to the ground for an hour and then your shift is done, this cnut never raised a gallop and contributed nothing.

• Advertisement

ballacks indeed

sandro has played a whole season and he made more of an effort in 5 mins then bentley did all game

on more than one occasion bently was in a good position when he just shot high and wide looking for glory instead of taking the proper approach and playing it in to pav (who was starved of ball all night)

bentley is a joke - simple as that. he thinks he is a legend when unfortunately for him he never will be

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

They put out a much stronger team than us and I'm disappointed with Harry for not giving our fans the respect we deserve.

There were 36,000 who paid top dollar to go and watch this game and Harry puts a second string side out against our local rivals.

I've said in the past that unlike the Utd's, Cheslea etc we can't afford to neglect any competition. The League Cup or the FA Cup are realistically our only chances of silverware each season and now we've blown one of them.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    They put out a much stronger team than us and I'm disappointed with Harry for not giving our fans the respect we deserve.

There were 36,000 who paid top dollar to go and watch this game and Harry puts a second string side out against our local rivals.

I've said in the past that unlike the Utd's, Cheslea etc we can't afford to neglect any competition. The League Cup or the FA Cup are realistically our only chances of silverware each season and now we've blown one of them.

I dont mind the fact that he changed things around. The likes of Bale/Crouch/ Hudd etc needed the weeks rest, but it's the attitude of some of them that gets to me. The 35k people who went, knew that it would not be the regular 11 playing.

Someone made a good point to me. Those Arsenal players play together in the reserve league, and have done over the last couple of years (the young players i mean). Is it a benefit that they continue to do this, whereas we dont have any reserve team at all any more since we pulled it.

I realise they had plenty of experience on the pitch, but my point is, does having a reserve team benefit you in games like last night where fellas are sharp, unlike some of ours who looked quite rusty.

p.s. The reserve league starts this week, but again we opted not to put a side in which baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

It was an experiment that failed. Unfortunately it failed against our fiercest rivals.

Harry had stated before that he needed to give playing time to some our our fringe players and that then he would find out if they are in his future plans . The young lads did ok - Caulker was at fault for the penalty obviously but had a decent game, _ Livermore got a bit excited in the first half and Harry took him off before he made any more rash challenges, Sandro did ok in spurts but needs to get used te the pace of the English game.
    Its the experienced players who really let themselves down. David Bentley- where do we start? He was at fault for the first goal as he let Lansbury stroll past him into the box for an easy finish, he gave the ball away countless times trying Hollywood passes, and in extra time when we were 3-1 down he missed an absolute sitter to make it 3-2 with 20 minutes left. Gio was completely lost. He did not have a clue what to do or where to go last night. Palacios - what has happened to the man? A rock last year he is a shadow of the player we bought a while back. Bassong and BAE did ok.
    But at 1-1 we could have won the game. For all Ar****ls possession they did n't really create anything. Lennon missed a great chance when put through beautifully by Robbie. Keano himself had a glorious chance which unfortunately hit the post. We actually could have nicked it with this very experimental line up.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    The 35k people who went, knew that it would not be the regular 11 playing.

Someone made a good point to me. Those Arsenal players play together in the reserve league, and have done over the last couple of years (the young players i mean). Is it a benefit that they continue to do this, whereas we dont have any reserve team at all any more since we pulled it.

The club categorised this match as a Cat. B fixture, obviously for financial reasons but by doing so are they not in effect placing more value on the game than say last saturdays fixture against Wolves, which was a Cat. C.

With regard to our starting line up, I did my own little analysis of each player and IMO only BAE & Wilson would be what I class as a regular first team players, with Pav as the next most regular through his sub appearances. The rest of the starting team will be unlikely to feature in Premiership games.

Arsenal's starting line up featured 4 regular first teamers plus another few who regularly appear as subs. Wenger doesnt give a sh1t about the League Cup but he was going to make damn sure his team didn't get beat by the local rivals.

Harry is not concerned about local rivalry but there were at least 36k who turned up paying good money who do plus the hundreds of thousands watching on tv or listening to the radio. FFS this was Spurs vs Arsenal and I don't care whether it was for the Leagus Cup or a game of tiddly winks we have to play our best team. I don't like losing to anyone but it's ten times worse when it's Arsenal.

Another thing ...........We've only been to three finals in the last ten years and each time it was the League Cup.

We are not that successful that we can choose to prioritise competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They put out a much stronger team than us.

If we did, it just shows the difference in the quality of our squads. Harry made 10 changes to Wenger's 8. Come the end of the season, it might be a good thing that ye went out so early.

Nail on the head.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Nail on the head.

here here.

we are in the champions league but i would be delighted to get outta the group and not get humiliated(which i dont think will happen with inter in our group-thankfully barca arent. they may have the possesion but i doubt they will put 4 or 5 past us) i dont think we have any chance of winning it.

or the league.

maybe the fa cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

L'prof wrote: »
    If we did, it just shows the difference in the quality of our squads. Harry made 10 changes to Wenger's 8. Come the end of the season, it might be a good thing that ye went out so early.

Let's just hope we have something to play for at the end of the season! At the end of the day, we have the league and the CL to worry about this season. Anything distracting us from doing well in these competitions is not important, and the Carling Cup would have added so many extra mid-week games to our workload. We had a strong enough team out there and should have been able to play better than that, but were beaten by an Arsenal team that seemed to click a lot better than we did.

keane=cock wrote: »
    maybe the fa cup.

The likes of Chelsea, Utd, Pool and Arsenal take this competition more seriously than the League Cup.

Obviously we have a chance but recent history shows that only ONCE in the last fifteen years, has a team from outside the 'so called big four' won the FA Cup (Pompey 2008).

We still have a lot of football to look forward to but I suspect no silverware again.

• Advertisement

The club categorised this match as a Cat. B fixture, obviously for financial reasons but by doing so are they not in effect placing more value on the game than say last saturdays fixture against Wolves, which was a Cat. C.

With regard to our starting line up, I did my own little analysis of each player and IMO only BAE & Wilson would be what I class as a regular first team players, with Pav as the next most regular through his sub appearances. The rest of the starting team will be unlikely to feature in Premiership games.

Arsenal's starting line up featured 4 regular first teamers plus another few who regularly appear as subs. Wenger doesnt give a sh1t about the League Cup but he was going to make damn sure his team didn't get beat by the local rivals.

Harry is not concerned about local rivalry but there were at least 36k who turned up paying good money who do plus the hundreds of thousands watching on tv or listening to the radio. FFS this was Spurs vs Arsenal and I don't care whether it was for the Leagus Cup or a game of tiddly winks we have to play our best team. I don't like losing to anyone but it's ten times worse when it's Arsenal.

Another thing ...........We've only been to three finals in the last ten years and each time it was the League Cup.

No matter what way you look at it, me you and every other fan knew Harry would make several changes for this game, sure he even admitted it all through the build up.

I too wanted us to win this game, as you say it's Arsenal and it's a huge game to the fans. But you also admit that Harry is not concerned about this issue. He doesn't care if it's Arsenal or Chelsea that we played, it was simply a chance for him to rest players and give fellas who had not played a run out. I can guarantee you if Hoddle was the manager, he wouldn't have made as many changes, because it would mean more to him.

It's the same as when Harry said he was going to give Gallas the captaincy. Ballacks off Harry. He was more or less telling the fans to fcuk off and he would do what he wanted. Didn't do much for his popularity amond die hard fans i wouldn't think.

Agreed, we can't prioritise competitions, but the manager thinks differently. Me , you and thousands other dis-agree, but that's why he is in the job, and that's why we all have different opinions of him.

i cant understand why people are so pissed at the team selection. we had no centre halves available so that selection was forced. people are always on this forum saying "Play gio" , "gio is world class" etc ,he was played last night and was a disaster. bentley earns 40k a week and is a "big name" player so he got a game. everyone was also calling for sandro , saying "cant wait to see sandro play" etc, he gets a game then along with livermore who people are always calling for as well and ye throw it back in harrys face

dont be so nieve in thinking that bale, modric, vdv , crouch, king etc would play last night. we have FOUR competitions this year and we cant play our first 11 in all of them. we HAVE to prioritise and champs league and premiership and our top two. fa cup then and lastly league cup (dosent matter who we were drawn with)

so get over harrys selection, it was a team full of internationals that people are always saying give them a chance. they got their chance and most of them blew it.

harry learned nothing new last night, no one stood out

mickman wrote: »
    dont be so nieve in thinking that bale, modric, vdv , crouch, king etc would play last night. we have FOUR competitions this year and we cant play our first 11 in all of them. we HAVE to prioritise and champs league and premiership and our top two. fa cup then and lastly league cup (dosent matter who we were drawn with)

So we play our best teams in the 2 competitions we have the least chance of winning? :rolleyes:

No one asked Harry to play the team that lined up last week against Wolves last night but he certainly could have played a stronger starting 11 than what he did.

So we play our best teams in the 2 competitions we have the least chance of winning? :rolleyes:

No one asked Harry to play the team that lined up last week against Wolves last night but he certainly could have played a stronger starting 11 than what he did.

we do have a chance of winning them. look at liverpool in 2005, did they think they would win the champs league ? no , but they did win it

finishing 4th this year and getting to 1/4 finals of champs league wont be a much better season then finishing 7th in the league and winning the carling cup

we do have a chance of winning them. look at liverpool in 2005, did they think they would win the champs league ? no , but they did win it

We'll get out of the group but no further!
    finishing 4th this year and getting to 1/4 finals of champs league wont be a much better season then finishing 7th in the league and winning the carling cup

I agree ;)

i think he may have learned some lads arent ready

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

i cant understand why people are so pissed at the team selection. we had no centre halves available so that selection was forced. people are always on this forum saying "Play gio" , "gio is world class" etc ,he was played last night and was a disaster. bentley earns 40k a week and is a "big name" player so he got a game. everyone was also calling for sandro , saying "cant wait to see sandro play" etc, he gets a game then along with livermore who people are always calling for as well and ye throw it back in harrys face

so get over harrys selection, it was a team full of internationals that people are always saying give them a chance. they got their chance and most of them blew it.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

I concur.

We'll get out of the group but no further!

I agree ;)

we have no idea what will happen. its a two horse race in the knock out stages. we could be drawn against valencia and could progress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The over reactions here today are quite something! I was happy with the team selection last night, Harry is right to prioritise the Champions League and Premier League. Of course winning the Carling Cup would be great, but it would do nothing to help us progress in the long run.. which should be our goal IMO. Progress will be achieved through another good league season with another top 4 finish, and by raising our profile with good performances and hopefully a run to the knock-out stages in the Champions League. The Carling Cup is there every season, but the chance to compete with Europe's elite and establish ourselves as a regular Big 4 team will not.

Advertisement