Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP

Options
  • 18-09-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

This sucks.

I'm just after reading the workload of each of my six modules and every one of them has between 60 and 80 hours "Autonomous student learning"

6 x 70 = 420 (average)

420/12 = 35 hours a week.

Does that mean we're expected to do a good 5 hours study a day to do well in college? I thought it was meant to be a doss what the fúck is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Actually you're dividing wrong. Do consider holidays, bank holidays, the summer, as well as study weeks and between exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This sucks.

I'm just after reading the workload of each of my six modules and every one of them has between 60 and 80 hours "Autonomous student learning"

6 x 70 = 420 (average)

420/12 = 35 hours a week.

Does that mean we're expected to do a good 5 hours study a day to do well in college? I thought it was meant to be a doss what the fúck is this?

Before I start, I must apologise for the following rant but I need to get this off my chest because that one comment has vexed me. If I only ever read the rest of the post I would chalk it down to a nervous fresher settling into the college routine, but no.

Such a silly statement to make. Yes, you also got your division bollocksed up as well. Have you ever considered the fact that you might have essays to write as well? These take several hours to do.

This is the problem with universities nowadays, everyone wants a fucking degree (interspersed with; drink/ecstasy/J1s/Australia/Amsterdam etc...) but nobody ever wants to learn something or do the hard graft (unless it's reading week).

Op, use your discretion (i.e. your best judgement). This is the part about going to college that you're never told in school or when Brady gives ye all scarves. You're fucking adult now, more to the point you're fucking academic, start acting like one. Not a single lecturer cares what you do, you can spend the whole week getting pissed, but that's your business, not theirs and they don't care. They wont push you, they wont punish you, they just lay out the material. You're the one that has to do the work.

I'm going to tell you what every lecturer and secondary school teacher has told me;

"It's not my exam".

Put simply, you don't need to do 5 hours a day but this is where you have to decide how much work you need to put in. You'll need to develop a routine, right now you're completely goalless, so you need to start setting simple goals; "I will read this chapter tonight for my tutorial", "I will read that journal article that lecturer suggested to us", "I will start reading Stalingrad by Antony Beevor, because it's a good book". The point is, setting a real goal like something as simple as reading a journal article will get you into a habit of reading, especially when the hard material comes along. It also means that you won't come across as totally dumbfounded whenever you ask a lecturer a question or whenever a question is asked of you in a tutorial.

So you can take my advise if you want, sure what do I know I just have a degree, handing in my masters thesis this week and I'm starting a PhD the following week...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Well I'm sure you had loads of fun in college...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

More than most, but I drew the line between having fun and fucking up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Of course you can still have fun / go out and do your work at the same time. All it takes is a bit of self-discipline and organisation.

Don't worry - even if you work hard, you will still have fun!

• Advertisement

The majority of students will never do that amount of autonomous learning, but if you're truly interested in following your chosen area for the rest of your life, you should definitely find time to work at it, otherwise you're wasting your time doing your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Im going to say what my maths teacher said to me on the first day of fifth year.

You get out what you put into it

First year is not a totall dos. You do nothing and you WILL fail first year. Repeating an entire year in ucd is not cheap and defenitly not fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

El Siglo has pretty much summed up all the thoughts that went through my head when I read the first post. That attitude towards college really, really pissed me off over the last few years.

Don't get me wrong, I loved a night out and had a great time doing my degree and post-grads, but so many people see third level education as a basic right instead of the hard-earned privilege it should be. They completely ignore that it is supposed to be where you grow up and learn to behave like an educated, adult. Instead some want to be led by the hand through doss courses. Too many people go to college and just see it as one gigantic booze-fest.

College should be difficult. It is meant to be a real achievement to get a degree. I fear that such lazy attitudes are bringing down standards.

Why exactly does the OP think that college should be a doss?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Well for what it's worth I don't even drink, I took the pledge till I'm 21 so I don't expect it to be a boozefest.

Having said that, I really don't want to go through the depressing year that is the LC all over again, except this time instead of being told to do it I'm doing it anyway (and would have done it anyway in 6th year)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Well for what it's worth I don't even drink, I took the pledge till I'm 21 so I don't expect it to be a boozefest.

Having said that, I really don't want to go through the depressing year that is the LC all over again, except this time instead of being told to do it I'm doing it anyway (and would have done it anyway in 6th year)
    How do you expect to enjoy college?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I took it to 20, then last year I looked into it more. It says the ones you take when doing confirmation expire when you turn 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

landyman wrote: »
    Im going to say what my maths teacher said to me on the first day of fifth year.

You get out what you put into it

First year is not a totall dos. You do nothing and you WILL fail first year. Repeating an entire year in ucd is not cheap and defenitly not fun.

Landyman, was your maths teacher by any chance the legnedary Ms. McKenna of Confey College Leixlip? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Each of my modules is over 120 hours of study this year, so I find your complaining of 80 hours to be the noise of a rank teenager. Maybe you should pay for your own tuition and then see how much of a doss this is supposed to be.

Advertisement