Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC for business?

• 18-09-2010 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

30 Meg BB and 6 phone lines for 69e per month (ex vat) sounds like a good deal to me and a big saving

125.76 per month with eircom + 40 for bb (1989.12)
    -
    upc price 69/mth (828)

Then the calls will also be cheaper..

However, I'm fearful we may trade in too much in the way of reliability by switching all our lines from PSTN to UPC's phone service.

Anyone using this package with number hunting? Is it possible to have a fall back eircom line so that calls divert to this seemlessly if our cable connection goes down?
    How reliable overall for business?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

You could also get your phone service from the likes of Blueface, then get a backup internet connection along with UPC, so at least if one internet service goes down, you can switch your blueface phone system to using the other. Just a thought anyway. You can even get cheap and reliable routers that will accept two different internet connections that will use both, or either, if one goes down for any reason so it's all generally seamless.

UPC are very reliable in my opinion though but if it's a business you're running and you want some resilience on the cheap then what I suggested above would be a good starting point.

I've had blueface for my home phone since they started out as a company, not a single complaint. Have my iPhone and my partners Android phone hooked up to it and all for extra geekness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

The only thing is Blueface requires another broadband connection, probably over a phone line for reliability adding 40+21 = 61 a month. Then how easy is it to get the hunting number changed over for the hours/days that UPC is down?
    I'm mainly concerned with calls coming in.. We have mobiles as secondary resort if we need to call out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

How about diverting incoming calls to the mobile if the phone every goes down?

It doesn't, blueface is a VOIP service and sits on top of whatever internet connection you're using, including the ability to work fine even on 3G dongle type broadband if you really had too.
    It just needs access to it's SIP service, so doesn't matter what internet connection you use it on so long as it can see it's SIP/STUN servers.

I've set it up and used it perfectly fine also on multiple crappy internet connections around the world while working/travelling so I could make/receive calls for cheap from my home number in Ireland.

You don't *need* another or a second internet connection to use it, I only mentioned that as a means of extra resilience if for whatever reason UPC might go down for a couple hours, so at least your phone service would still work and not rely on any one internet provider.

You could go with just the phone option provided by UPC, but, as you'd be aware, *if* the UPC service went down for any reason, your phone service with UPC would usually not be available also.

You should ask on their own (blueface's) support forums though if you've any questions, they're very experienced and quick to reply.

DingDong wrote: »
    How about diverting incoming calls to the mobile if the phone every goes down?

You can do that with Blueface too, you can also set it that if a call is not answered within a certain time frame or number of rings, that the call diverts to a mobile(s) rather than go to voice mail. Useful also if you wanted some sort of after hours service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Emerson wrote: »
    The only thing is Blueface requires another broadband connection, probably over a phone line for reliability adding 40+21 = 61 a month. Then how easy is it to get the hunting number changed over for the hours/days that UPC is down?
    I'm mainly concerned with calls coming in.. We have mobiles as secondary resort if we need to call out

You could apply all of that logic to any setup your thinking about. The great thing about blueface is you can use it all over the world, all you need is the internet and you don't need to go hunting for numbers.

Blueface can be setup on most internet capable mobiles (iphone, android, windows mobile) or voip phones. I use blueface when ever I am in the world without any hassle, just book into a hotel with free wifi. :D

UPC doesn't go down for days maybe the odd hour every year or so but as a back up why not get a pay as you go mobile broadband, blueface will use any internet connection.

Advertisement