Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

:mad: Butlers Irish chocolate café and rip off merchants

• 18-09-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I got a takeaway coffee in butlers on the corner of exchequer street earlier, paid for it and when I collected it at the end of the counter I requested a drop of milk to which I was told "that'll be fifty cents". Being typically Irish and within sniffing distance of a badly needed coffee I didn't demand my money back and leave but just mumbled my complaints, told them I would never return and paid the fifty cent only to find myself completely furious as soon as I left the shop. This is possibly the most blatant rip off I have ever experienced in this country. How can you sell teas and coffees and then charge extra for milk? Has anyone else experienced this or been as enranged as I was? To add insult to injury the coffee was ****e; bland, insipid and weak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

That really is outrageous. What's doubly annoying is the fact that business in similar high-footfall locations feel they can press their luck because there's always a fresh supply of new customers.
    Interesting thread tho - name & shame is what I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

the coffee is ok, but by no means great and im pretty sure there's a jug of milk at the service area ( sugars, stirers etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Well if that's the case why would they have told me that instead of charging me and passing me milk from behind the counter? Not doubting what you're saying as most places do have milk and sugar available and it's possible I just didn't notice it but why on earth did they charge me? More angry with myself for handing over the money TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Try to see it the other way.

I don't take milk, should I get a discount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I always get my coffee from Butlers and there has always been milk beside the sugar at the self service bit. Very surprised that you were charged tbh, disgraceful really but I must say that i do prefer Butlers and their staff compared to most other coffee shops in town that i have tried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

It mustnt have been too much a rip off as you still paid for it. As long as people pay for it they are entitled to make their money like that, IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

I think butlers cafe is great,even get a free yummy chocolate with a coffee.

I'd say you had a bit of an attitude OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Not defending Bulters cafe but there is usually milk near the sugars. Maybe this one is different as they might be all franchises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Dublin City.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Are you sure you weren't misunderstood and they possibly thought you were asking for a glass of milk to drink?

There's always been milk in the service area in any Butlers I've been in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I reckon they do the best coffee in town, and for the same price as a Starbucks coffee you also get a free chocolate. It's unusual that they didn't just refer you to the free jug of milk at the self help area though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I would ring them up and clarify the situation. The Butlers I go to has milk and sugar on the counter.

~Did they think you were looking for a glass of milk?

There was quite possibly a service station with milk. It was very busy and I didn't look for it. I could see all the cartons behind the counter so I asked the girl who gave me the coffee for "a drop of milk for the coffee". She definitely knew I didn't want a glass, didn't give me a glass, charged me the money and watched me milk my coffee. Yes, perhaps I should have objected more, perhaps it was a mistake and there is a service station, I don't know but I hope it was a mistake and this isn't how they are operating. They did give me a very tasty free chocolate but I have to say it only softened the blow of the punch :)

Joker: You think they charged me because I had an attitude? How much of an attitude can one have ordering a coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Weird, I was sitting in a Butlers outlet yesterday in Blanch and I didn't get charged for milk, i
    t was on the table, unless its included with the price of coffee.
    I think possibly each Butlers is a seperate franchise and each individual owner has they're own subtle variations on pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

dafunk wrote: »

Joker: You think they charged me because I had an attitude? How much of an attitude can one have ordering a coffee?

Yeah, I would imagine you are a very rude person if they charged you extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Please reassure me, this is a wind up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

If it was standard practice, then it is definitely a rip-off, but my guess is there was confusion / misunderstanding as there's always a jug of milk at the service counter of all butlers (and starbucks & insomnia etc)

Why didn't you query it properly?

The staff member probably thought you wanted a latte and charged accordingly.

In future, check the service counter of whatever establishment you are in and you'll always find a jug of milk.

you do - a latte is normally about 50c more expensive than an americano :D

The_Joker. wrote: »
    Yeah, I would imagine you are a very rude person if they charged you extra.

On the contrary, I am delightful and charming. I wonder why you make such an assumption unless this is a feeble attempt at trolling?

• Advertisement

On the contrary, I am delightful and charming. I wonder why you make such an assumption unless this is a feeble attempt at trolling?

Not at all, I could only imagine you demanding 'more milk' in the coffee ,I never met any rude staff in Butlers.

I didn't 'demand' more milk. I politely asked for 'some' milk and I never said or implied the staff were rude.

mumbled my complaints, told them I would never return and paid the fifty cent only to find myself completely furious.

Sounds like a rude person to me. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's rude to voice a complaint when you're paying for a service. And yes, I did say I wouldn't return because I think that businesses need to know if and why they are losing customers but I was not rude about it. And your point makes no sense, you think they charged me because I was rude and you back up that theory by my reaction to being charged.

My original point was quite clear, I got charged to put milk in my coffee, yes perhaps it was in error, but you're not inputting anything to this thread and are quite obviously making a personal attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dara Butlers

Hi ‘dafunk’. I’m Dara O’Flynn and I work for Butlers Chocolate Cafés. I read your post about your recent experience in our Wicklow Street Café and I apologise sincerely. We offer complimentary milk in all of our Cafés, either at the condiment station, on the tables or from the staff. You should not have been charged for milk and I hope that you accept my apology and also a full refund and a complimentary drink with chocolate. I can be contacted at chocolate@butlers.ie and look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Dara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dara Butlers

To everybody who has posted regarding our Cafés in this thread, we at Butlers Chocolates Cafés have read all comments with interest, taken all of them on board and thank you for taking the time to make them. We would be very pleased to offer you a voucher for a complimentary hot beverage with the ‘always free’ chocolate. Please mail me at chocolate@butlers.ie and I will be happy to send this to you. Best wishes, Dara.

Thank you so much Dara! Apology accepted and I apologise if I've given any bad press. Cheers for clearing things up.

We should get everyone on boards to post here and all claim free coffees & chocs. - That would be about 550,000 coffees.

Yippee

Its rarely the error that gets people annoyed - its how the error is dealt with. 100% to Butlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Fair dues to Butlers - my mother in law who is very ill loves her Butlers when she is able to get out for a walk, the chocolate is lovely for her too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

any product or company with "IRISH " in its title is almost guaranteed to be a rip off...

Advertisement