Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macro Shots for C+C

• 19-09-2010 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently got a Canon 100mm and had a 3rd go at macro with it today. Can't help but think I'm doing something wrong - I'm not too happy about the shots, but can't really say why. C+C very welcome and any useful suggestions/tips appreciated.

P.S. No snails were hurt during the shoot; model was released to the area where he originally came from. ;)

3840F80C3ADE4EB69BFBB1342D4A8797-0000317518-0001926896-00800L-BD47745D32584FA2AD399D339E4E5A69.jpg

8B77D151ED2049FC9CE86703CD6A570D-0000317518-0001926886-00800L-3A80F027A43A44C182406FE282E2A88D.jpg

5879675DEB1A4B0AAB1900B252A47735-0000317518-0001926897-00800L-A653883B55D54851A67EB53887542329.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

With the 100mm macro even at f4-f5.6 the depth of field with be very narrow when you approach 1:1 size so open it out more and use some artificial light source.

They are nice shots for test ones, what exactly are you not happy about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Borderfox wrote: »
    With the 100mm macro even at f4-f5.6 the depth of field with be very narrow when you approach 1:1 size so open it out more and use some artificial light source.

They are nice shots for test ones, what exactly are you not happy about?

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I like them. The only problem is the DoF. Drop your aperture down to about f16 and move back slightly. Take those two measures and you will get the DoF you need. Also, If you get the eyes in focus the rest will take care of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Thanks a million, guys. Appreciate your feedback..... I don't really know what exactly it is that makes me look at the shots and think it's not what I wanted to get. Perhaps I expect to be able to come really REALLY close to the subject and get brilliant shots straight away. But as I said, the snail was my 3rd attempt and the previous 2 were quite disastrous. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭redto

id be happy if i could get those shots.

As its c +c my few cents worth I find the shots very busy in the background and very bright, might be my eyes or monitor too bright but i found them difficult to look at for any length of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I did a bit of Macro recently also, and got the same sound advice. Dept of field is the key. Play around with your F settings, use a static model for practice, I used a dead insect for some recent practice and found it great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

oshead wrote: »
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. I like them. The only problem is the DoF. Drop your aperture down to about f16 and move back slightly. Take those two measures and you will get the DoF you need. Also, If you get the eyes in focus the rest will take care of itself.

Would the same guidelines apply with the Canon 60mm macro. I got one a few months ago and am so disappointed with the shots that I now hate it and never put it on.

Would the same guidelines apply with the Canon 60mm macro. I got one a few months ago and am so disappointed with the shots that I now hate it and never put it on.

Absolutely. I had one and found it to be better than the 100mm 2.8 macro on a 1.6 crop body. The 60mm 2.8 macro is an excellent lens IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

oshead wrote: »
    Absolutely. I had one and found it to be better than the 100mm 2.8 macro on a 1.6 crop body. The 60mm 2.8 macro is an excellent lens IMO.

Thanks David. I have the 60mm 2.8 and a crop body (450D). I will get it out and try it again. I had believed that I should be using it at or near 2.8.

Try it at around f8. It's sharper than anything I've experienced at that setting. You might want to use a flash to try and decrease camera shake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I like #1 & #3 - #2 doesnt have a focal point of interest - but they are a great start. I occasionally do a bit of semi-macro (ie not 1:1, more like 3:1) and I find that
    - Igenerally need a small, small aperture, to get reasonable DOF. At very close range, I work in the f/14 to f/22 range.
    - Because of the small aperture you will then generally require an artificial light source. I usually mount my flash on a tripod and shoot handheld, the flash gets fired by a radio trigger. I'll also use an A4 white card as a reflector. (So I shoot with the camera in 1 hand & the card in the other) I believe many macro folks use a ring flash - I have never used one but would definitely buy one if macro was a big thing for me.

- FoxT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

FoxT wrote: »
    I like #1 & #3 - #2 doesnt have a focal point of interest - but they are a great start. I occasionally do a bit of semi-macro (ie not 1:1, more like 3:1) and I find that
    - Igenerally need a small, small aperture, to get reasonable DOF. At very close range, I work in the f/14 to f/22 range.
    - Because of the small aperture you will then generally require an artificial light source. I usually mount my flash on a tripod and shoot handheld, the flash gets fired by a radio trigger. I'll also use an A4 white card as a reflector. (So I shoot with the camera in 1 hand & the card in the other) I believe many macro folks use a ring flash - I have never used one but would definitely buy one if macro was a big thing for me.

- FoxT

Thank you FoxT - I am actually a proud owner of the LED ring flash and find it good when shooting subjects with 'non-reflective' surface. I tried it on the reflective ones as well but in some cases you can actually count the no. of LED's in the ring. ;)

Also, thanks everybody for your feedback - it's appreciated. I guess I will have to keep trying until I'm happy with the results...and then continue for the pleasure of getting nice shots. :)

Advertisement