Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual machines question

Options
  • 19-09-2010 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm running an old laptop with XP and I run virtualbox with an ubuntu install for rails dev. I love it - use photoshop etc. on XP and swap things across to ubuntu as needed.

I'll soon have the funds (and dire need) to upgrade so I'm wondering:

Say, on a laptop/desktop with 6-8 gigs of memory, is it better to run an ubuntu machine with a windows 7 VM or a windows 7 machine with an ubuntu VM?

Perhaps it's a bit of a silly question; I can't help but feel the answer is windows 7, and run the linux vm, since windows will continue to be my 'primary' machine, ie. used for everything bar development/deployment.

Thoughts welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

I had a separate Win 7 partition on my laptop for ages.

Discovered I was never using it. Deleted it and topped up my home directory partition there a few weeks ago.

Not a big fan of VirtualBox. It's a wonderful project and I can see how it's useful, but I'd hate to have to use it in a production environment/day-to-day use.

Never really got into Photoshop. I use GIMP and InkScape. I'm not a graphics designer, but I find that they can do pretty much anything I need. I love the LaTeX plug-in for InkScape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Dual boot, then run the physical install of Ubuntu within a VM in Win 7. You can do this with VMWare, dunno about Virtualbox. This way, if you ever have a need to boot into Ubuntu (and have better performance), you can, but you can also run it in a VM from Win 7, which will be adequate for most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would use Linux as the host and Win as the guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

If you're running photoshop and other graphics intensive applications it's better not to run them in a VM. IMHO buying a high spec laptop isn't worth it, it'd be cheaper to buy both a low spec, portable laptop and build a decent laptop. Also you'll never need 6-8GB of memory for Linux unless you're running many virtual machines; I used to run 3 Debian test servers on 2GB with KVM.

Advertisement