Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural remedies for TTC

Options
  • 19-09-2010 3:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi Ladies!

I have pcos & am waiting to have an IVF cycle in the new year so am trying some things to help things along ..

Just found this :

http://www.ehow.com/how_4998044_pregnant-using-soy-isoflavones.html

I have tried clomid but wasnt monitored on it so have no idea if/when/how it worked for me :( - so going to give this a go! I looked on hollandnadbarrett.ie & it says they stock it so . . .!!!

Also has anyone tried robitussin??

Going to get some of this too.

Am currently on Metformin, pregnacare vits, evening primrose oil (for first 2-3 weeks of cycle)

Any experience / thoughts??!!!!!

Good luck ladies TTC xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I tried soy, and wouldn't recommend it....

soy isoflavones are a phyto estrogen - meaning they are a plant derived estrogen. When certain quantities are taken by humans, they inhibit the estrogen receptor's ability to recognise the release of estrogen, so in turn the hypothalamus signals the brain to releases more, i.e. over stimulation occurs. This is said to bring on a quicker ovulation. There are side effects though and some studies indicate they can lengthen menstrual cycles and inhibit conception.
    Some refer to it as 'the natural Clomid'. I think this is dangerous. Yes it does mimic some effects of Clomid (hot flashes, irritability, moodiness, headaches, very dark spotting) but is NOT the same as Clomid. Also you are (or should be) monitored when on Clomid, and your doc/gynae/RE puts you on a certain dose, for certain days in your cycle for specific reasons. With soy your making the decisions yourself based on no medical advice /supervision.
    How come you weren't monitored on Clomid?? that is really dangerous. How many rounds did you do before going the IVF route?

When I took it I did so for two months. the first cycle I did ovulate a bit earlier (day 20 I think), the second cycle I didn't ovulate until Day 40! I swore I'd never touch it again. There's just not enough known about it..

I have tried cough medicine but didn't see any effects (it's meant to increase your Cervical Mucous - which is good if you're on Clomid as it dries up CM). The active ingredient - guaifenesin - is what helps with CM. I've tried Grapefruit juice (not from concentrate) or whole grapefruits, and that had better results than cough medicine. Try eating one grapefruit per day during the follicular phase leading up to ovulation (or drink a tall glass of juice per day). Luckily I like grapefruit so found this easy, I know a lot of people think it's too bitter, though I believe this has to be the healthier option over taking cough medicine.

I am taking EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) too, it's only recommended to take this in the follicular phase though, and not the Luteal Phase (post ovulation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dublingirl01

Thanks foxtrot for the information on soy isoflavones - am reconsidering it now.
    Did 6 rounds of clomid - 50mg,100mg,then 150mg . . hospital just didnt scan me & at the time i just didnt know enough about the whole IF thing to ask for them.

Thanks again xx

no problem, the best of luck to you ;)

Can I ask, did you get any funny side effects with Clomid on the 100 mg and 150mg doses? I've just started it and just finished my first cycle (negative pregnancy test unfortunately). I didn't have many side effects but wonder if I will if/when they up the dose. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dublingirl01

No, thank god!, i didnt have any side affects! When i got up to 150mg i did get some 'hot flushes' but only a few so wasn't too bad.

I've talked to some other women (other sites) & they had the works! So i got away with it :)

Is it pcos with you too (if its not too rude to ask!)

Hopefully the clomid works for you, it does for sooooooo many women so hopefully you're going to be one of them xx

Sorry about your BFN x

no I've not got PCOS. Just not ovulating properly; really long cycles with a really weak ovulation that probably isn't releasing a viable egg (according to gynae).
    For people like me the Clomid makes a stronger, earlier (and hopefully viable) ovulation. I had my shortest cycle in my life this cycle - 34 days - so that was a great achievement, even if I didn't get pregnant. Am starting round 2 today. They're keeping me on 50 mg this cycle because they didn't get to monitor me last cycle (was on holidays), so this time round I'll go in for a scan near ovulation so they can see how many follies are maturing etc..

• Advertisement
Advertisement