Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions please! :)

Options
  • 19-09-2010 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I finally started thinking seriously about building my own PC. I'm by no means an expert so I have made up a few builds and would love some constructive criticism!
    I've been trawling the net for the last few hours, comparing and trying to learn as I go and this is what I came up with.....

Gaming PC - was hoping to build for around 350euro!

Moniter
    LG W2242S 22" Wide 5ms LCD = 112euros

Case
    9801 Black/Silver Midi Case 24pin SATA Prescott 600W = 35,52euros

Heatsink
    Akasa Intel LGA 775/1156 Copper Core heatsink with 92mm = 14,01euros

Hard drive
    Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 7200rpm SATA-300 16MB = 37,05euros

Graphics Card
    Gigabyte GeForce GT 210 650Mhz 512MB = 44,66euros

Sound Card
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE 7.1 OEM = 28,96euros

Network Card
    NetGear WG511 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless PC Card = 25,88euros

=186,08euros

So yeah I was aiming for 350euro(not including the moniter), but I seem to have failed hehe. If anyone could give me a heads up on cheaper better items I would be really grateful. smile.gif

BUILD ONE

Motherboard
    Gigabyte 870A-UD3 = 106,97euros

Processor
    AMD PHENOM II X2 555 SKT AM3 3200MHZ 7MB 80W = 98,31euros

Memory
    2GB Corsair DDR3 PC1333 C9 ValueSelect = 37,46euros

= 242,74euros

BUILD TWO

Motherboard
    P7H55-M SI Motherboard
    +
    Processor
    Core i3-530 2.93GHz
    = 179,17euros

Memory
    Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-PIN DDR2 800MHz CL6 = 36,73euros

= 212,09euros

BUILD THREE

Motherbord
    M4A77T Motherboard
    +
    Processor
    Phenom II X4 955
    +
    Memory
    4GB DDR3 [2x2GB]

= 308,92euros

Build FOUR

Motherboard
    M4A78LT-M
    +
    Processor
    MD Phenom II X2 555 BE
    +
    Memory
    2GB DDR3 (add another 1gb for 25euro)

= 203.88(+25 for 1gb ram) = 228.88euros

Few different builds I thought would go together... the last two come in packages for the shown prices. I am really not sure what would be the best choice, although I am quite fond of the first build.. seems that motherboard and processor work quite well together.
    Basically if you can advise me of any better cheaper components or if I should mix and match different components together that would be awesome!

Would love to hear some of your opinions. Cheers!

smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

[QUOTE=Flojo;68082343

Moniter
    LG W2242S 22" Wide 5ms LCD = 112euros

Case
    9801 Black/Silver Midi Case 24pin SATA Prescott 600W = 35,52euros

Heatsink
    Akasa Intel LGA 775/1156 Copper Core heatsink with 92mm = 14,01euros

Hard drive
    Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 7200rpm SATA-300 16MB = 37,05euros

Graphics Card
    Gigabyte GeForce GT 210 650Mhz 512MB = 44,66euros

Sound Card
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE 7.1 OEM = 28,96euros

Network Card
    NetGear WG511 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless PC Card = 25,88euros

=186,08euros

So yeah I was aiming for 350euro(not including the moniter), but I seem to have failed hehe. If anyone could give me a heads up on cheaper better items I would be really grateful. smile.gif

[/QUOTE]

Are these items fixed? Where's the 186.08 coming from? Is that everything except the monitor? So that means that total = 186 + 112 + ~250 = 550 is what you have at the moment? Where are you getting these prices? Hardwareversand?

1. Don't use a power supply that comes with a cheap case!
    2. Decide on a heatsink after your processor.
    3. The 210 is a very weak card. What kind of games do you have in mind? You'd want to be dedicating a lot more money to this.
    4. You probably don't need a sound card.
    5. While the x2 555 is nice, there are some very well x3s that you should consider.
    6. Check out the budget builds sticky thread in this forum with Solitaire's recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Flojo wrote: »
    Ugh.png

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67986165&postcount=528

What kind of games are you hoping to play? You'll also need an O.S. of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Thanks for the reply guys!

I kinda facked up with the prices hehe.. I was at this for like 6 hours straight.. :(
    The prices are just a basic guide to how cheap I could find the items on the net. Mainly from Either Dabs.ie or hardwareversand.de, most of the other places I found to be quite expensive.
    Any other sites I might have missed?
    www.novatech.co.uk
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.saverstore.com
    www.custompc.ie
    www.scan.co.uk
    www.osoo.co.uk

I did see that rig you just linked but I was told to make sure I get a PSU that's over 500w and that particular case got very good reviews for something that cheap and it's 600w.

Everything I have down I have checked out and searched for reviews, I haven't stumbled blindly into this!

At the moment I'm quite partial to the first build, found those items for cheaper aswel after I posted this! This will be the first PC I have attempted to build and I rather I came up with the components myself and not just copied some rig I spotted online.
    I know I said 350euro but for the quality I want its not looking possible right now. Seems I'll just have to save up a bit more and wait longer...which I really don't mind.

So if you could tell me only where I am going drastically wrong that would be great! Or if you could suggest a component that is better and cheaper than any of the ones I have posted here that would be fantastic!!
    What I am not sure on is the graphics, network and sound card also finding a decent looking sturdy case with a built in PSU thats over 600w for less than 50/60euros. Preferably with a hint of green! ;)

Network and sound I'm don't really want to spend too much on but I didnt want to buy rubbish either. Graphics I do want to get a decent card for under 100euro.

You asked me about the games I would be playing. I want to be able to play Wow on decent medium -full graphics.. also play quite a few other online games... League of Legends.. Quakelive and I plan on finally getting a steam account once I get my rig. I mainly use my Xbox for any other games!

Also the 350 pricetag was ment to be without the OS as I have not decided on that just yet. I'm just not sure about taking the plunge with windows 7! Also ubuntu/linux and the likes might be a bit too much for me to try and set up right now.

Lol trying to decide on a heatsink while I wasn't sure on a processor is exactly what I'm talking about hehe.. total newb over here! Decided I want it to be a Corsair one though.

Go for a tri core? Why? I have trawled through so many reviews online and they just seem pointless! It seems AMD were trying to make some money back that they lost on their quad cores!!

I have checked out the budget builds.. rather do it myself from scratch though :)

Final build so far:

Case -
    With PSU:
    9801 Black/Silver Midi Case 24pin SATA Prescott 600W = 35,52euros (dabs)
    Without PSU:

Motherboard -
    Gigabyte 870A-UD3 = ( 85,36 hardwarersand)

Processor -
    AMD PHENOM II X2 555 SKT AM3 3200MHZ 7MB 80W = (83,10 hardwarersand)

Memory -
    2GB Corsair DDR3 PC1333 C9 ValueSelect (x2) = 37,46euros(4g =75,14euros) (hardwaresand)

PSU (If decided against case) -
    Best Value 620W Grey PSU 8cm Fan SATA 24-Pin Model 620X = 20,32euros (Dabs)

Hard drive -
    Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 7200rpm SATA-300 16MB = 37,57euros (hardwarersand)

Graphics Card -
    Gigabyte GeForce GT 210 650Mhz 512MB = 44,66euros (dabs)

Sound Card -
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE 7.1 OEM = 28,96euros (dabs)

Network Card -
    NetGear WG511 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless PC Card = 25,88euros (dabs)

Heatsink
    A corsair one anyways.

If any of you have experiance or thoughts on any of these items please let me know!

That's probably true about the tri cores but there's still one core more than the dual cores.

WoW and quakelive have very low requirements but I think you'd be happier with something like a 5570 for the graphics card and it's less than 100 euro.

The sound card - do you actually need one? Most motherboards come with decent quality sound integrated.

The PSU - That's no better than the other one. When they claim that a PSU is 600W, it might not even be 300W. The reality is that you'll be needing to spend at least €45 on the PSU for a good one. If you don't plan on any of the more powerful graphic cards, you could get away with 400W... maybe even 300W but the extra room is good. You can damage your components with a crappy PSU.

Are you aware that hardwareversand charge €30 for postage. It might be best to buy as much as possible from the one place.

Was all muddled with sapphire...Radeon.. etc! I knew I wanted a AMD card though.. would I be better off getting a cheap one and waiting a few months until i can afford a really decent one, then splashing out on a brand new model? Heard AMD are retiring the ATI brand soon aswell, so maybe they might have something awesome in the pipelines? :confused:

Also finding it hard to find a case that I love.. would kill for something that looks sleek and fairly plain at the front.. but with a see through side panel so I can jazz it up with some funky green lights! Seems a lot of the cases I have found have crap reviews... apart from the one listed above. Also not sure if I should buy a case with a see through side panel already or buy and normal one and try get a matching panel?

Also with the listed CPU would a Corsair heatsink go with it well?
    I'm a bit muddled up when it comes to heat protection aswell.. should I try aim to get a heatsink type thing for the RAM and HD aswell?

I think trying to buy all the parts up front for 350euro was a bit silly, I much rather buy decent stuff and collect all the parts I really want over time. Decided to buy from two websites which should cut down delivery costs aswell! God I'm so excited hehe.

One last question... I think I have the hang of approaching this practically hehe. So i should buy decent CPU..MOBO+suitable RAM..Graphics then find a case+PSU and heatsinks that go with all of them? Then spend a low enough amount on the rest?

Sorry for all the newb questions, this is all new to me...kinda hehe! :)

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    That's probably true about the tri cores but there's still one core more than the dual cores.

WoW and quakelive have very low requirements but I think you'd be happier with something like a 5570 for the graphics card and it's less than 100 euro.

The sound card - do you actually need one? Most motherboards come with decent quality sound integrated.

The PSU - That's no better than the other one. When they claim that a PSU is 600W, it might not even be 300W. The reality is that you'll be needing to spend at least €45 on the PSU for a good one. If you don't plan on any of the more powerful graphic cards, you could get away with 400W... maybe even 300W but the extra room is good. You can damage your components with a crappy PSU.

Are you aware that hardwareversand charge €30 for postage. It might be best to buy as much as possible from the one place.

Gah just spotted this now hehe.

One more core to spend a fortune on when I don't really need it? I remember from a few years back people saying there isn't much point. Have yet to see why I should fork out a good bit more for something i'll barely use.

5570? What one is that hun? Is it AMD?

Oh lord I just realised you're right hehe, the motherboard I picked does have a built in soundcard. Sorry, my heads a bit all over the shop! :o

About the PSU.. can they really lie like that? Dammit... yeah thats what I was told and thats the least thing I want to do! I was aiming for over 500w anyways.. would you suggest buying a case with PSU or getting them seperate?

Yeap I am fully aware of the delivery charge.. I plan on buying the most important stuff there anyways so I dont mind it. The site I found was teh cheapest when it came to MOBO, CPU, RAM and HD!

Thanks for your response :)

...I was told to make sure I get a PSU that's over 500w and that particular case got very good reviews for something that cheap and it's 600w.
    Never listen to whoever told you that again! Quality over quantity!

Never listen to whoever told you that again! Quality over quantity!

Ah kk I thought if it was higher it would be good quality.. my god I have so much to learn hehe! Thanks hun. So I should drop it down to 500w and find a decent one thats around 50quid? My friend told me to aim for higher than 500w so that i'll have enough juice to power everything.. it was me that went for a cheap one! :o

Ah kk I thought if it was higher it would be good quality.. my god I have so much to learn hehe! Thanks hun. So I should drop it down to 500w and find a decent one thats around 50quid? My friend told me to aim for higher than 500w so that i'll have enough juice to power everything.. it was me that went for a cheap one! :o
    Corsair CX400 is the aul "budget" reliable. Comes in at around 40ish. Only get something bigger if you think you'll be upgrading to considerably more powerful graphics down the line

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you're desperate and buying from certain etailers (especailly HWVS) keep an eye out for SuperFlower's Amazon range - they can undermine even the CX400, being cheaper yet still fairly decent quality.

Also bear in mind that tricores are cheap as chips (quads are still north of €90!) and can pull their weight in console ports much better than any dualie. Many newer games like having at least three threads running at once and throw a tantrum if you try running them on a dualie (you can drop a shedload of FPS :o)

• Advertisement

Omg I found my case...I must have it haha!

Ultra X-Blaster ATX Black Mid-Tower Case
    Ultra%20x%20blaster.jpg

Thanks Unregistered for Corsair CX400...is there a cx500? ;)
    The graphics card above i have decided against... I want a shiny ATI Radeon instead hehe.

Thanks Solitaire.. I totally get it now. But a tricore Phenom seems like it could cost a LOT!! Should I save up for one or go for an Athlon II X3? Aaargh so many decisions to make now :(
    Cheers for the heads up about Superflowers, will check it out now! :)

If you want to save money just get an Athlon X3 - you can usually nab 3GHz+ models off HWVS for under €70 ;)

And no, there's no CX500 :( There's a big price jump from the CX400 to the VX450, and again up to the VX550. There are, however, alternatives in the Amazon range if they're still discounted on HWVS... ;)

is there a cx500? ;)
    No.

Solitaire wrote: »
    If you want to save money just get an Athlon X3 - you can usually nab 3GHz+ models off HWVS for under €70 ;)

And no, there's no CX500 :( There's a big price jump from the CX400 to the VX450, and again up to the VX550. There are, however, alternatives in the Amazon range if they're still discounted on HWVS... ;)

Oh my god.. I just fell in love with their cases!!

SF-461T1-BK

a_a0_1273746736.png

SF-467T1-BK

a_a0_1273840041.png

It's greeeen!! SF-502BK

a_a0_1276250429.png

Right back to serious business hehe!

Are you guys sure AMD PHENOM II X2 won't do? I really wanted to see how it got on with the Gigabyte 870A-UD3... I read great things!

To be honest the only games I will be playing is Wow.. LoL... Quakelive... and maybe some Warhammeronline or other generic MMO! Mainly Wow though.
    I will still have my laptop for the likes of virtual DJ and basic interwebs. Although I think it has AIDs.. overheating and powering off itself the last year... suprised it has lasted this long. 2 year old Dell studio 17. Much point is trying to save it with new components?

Is it just Amazon I should search for so as regards the PSU? I wasn't getting many(if any results for SuperFlowers)

Amazon is the name of the range :P You find them on HWVS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

just fyi the athlon x3 440 is very likely to be unlockable to a quad core. and cheap too.

i had a tight budget, and went with it. it unlocked and is fully stable.

also, CPU-Z says i have a 6mb L3 cache (apparently), so (maybe) it could unlock to a full phenom x4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Amazon is the name of the range :P You find them on HWVS :)

Heeey i knew that! :p Hehe I searched with Superflowers hoping to get the whole range off different components but nothing came up :confused:
    But nice one thanks hehe! I must have broken the interwebs there for a second! :pac:

Right.. so far ye have lured me into buying... ;)

AMD PHENOM II X3 - CPU
    and
    Super Flower Amazon 80plus 450w - PSU

Soo plus the rest....

Gigabyte 870A-UD3 - MOBO
    2GB Corsair DDR3 PC1333 C9 ValueSelect (x2) - RAM
    Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 7200rpm SATA-300 16MB - HD
    NetGear WG511 802.11g 54Mbps - Network

Right so now I need a ATI Radeon graphics card and a decent Corsair heatsink for that CPU hehe.

Last four questions hehe...

Are you absolutely sure that I will need a AMD PHENOM II X3? I cant seem to find them on Dabs or HWVS.

And if I get a ATI Radeon graphics card will 450w be enough?

Will i need to buy things to regulate the heat for the RAM and HD?

Finally is the above a good build in your honest opinion?

Phew I think I'm done lol! Thanks so much for the help so far guys! :)

Corsair heatsink? :confused:

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    just fyi the athlon x3 440 is very likely to be unlockable to a quad core. and cheap too.

i had a tight budget, and went with it. it unlocked and is fully stable.

also, CPU-Z says i have a 6mb L3 cache (apparently), so (maybe) it could unlock to a full phenom x4?

Hehe slow it down there partner! Ok i'm going out on a limb and guessing unlocking means upgrading? I'm really not sure how the size of the cache would mean you could upgrade it more! But thank you for the info :)

Gah so I'm stuck between Athlon x3 and Phenom x2.. I know you guys have explained everything so much already but all I will need it for is Wow really... I just don't know about a tri-core. If someone has the time and would like to help could you break it down a bit on how it could be better and more helpful please? Anything I find on the net seems to say it's pointless.
    massy086 wrote: »

Hehe would you believe I spend ages last night trying to decide if i liked that case or not.. decided the mesh at the front was a lil too busy formy liking.. even though it would improve airflow I'm just a bit fussy. Want to get this perfect for me the first time. Must be the Virgo in me haha! Thank you though :)

• Advertisement

Corsair heatsink? :confused:

Emmm.. cant remember exactly what site I came across that but I do remember that Corsair are a great brand for cooling components! :confused:

http://hothardware.com/News/Corsair-Debuts-Air-Series-A50-And-A70-CPU-Coolers/

:confused:

Here's a reason: a 3GHz X3 is a good €15 cheaper than the Phenom2 X2 :p Then there's the fact that it has an extra CPU core, which means faster multitasking (and possibly better WoW, if or rather when Blizzard decide to thread it ;)) and less annoying anitvirus scans :p

And I've never even seen those coolers on the market... :confused::P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Hehe slow it down there partner! Ok i'm going out on a limb and guessing unlocking means upgrading? I'm really not sure how the size of the cache would mean you could upgrade it more! But thank you for the info :)

the difference between a cheap athlon x3 and a phenom is the cache size mainly (where bigger = better)

unlocking a core means that the processor is actually a quad (!!) core processor with one of the cores is disabled, sometimes due to having a malfunction, drawing too much power, or, if you're lucky (which is becoming much more common these days) it was simply disabled due to a supply/demand for tri core processors.

so i paid next to nothing for my athlon and ended up with a no bull**** quad core beast.

Here's a reason: a 3GHz X3 is a good €15 cheaper than the Phenom2 X2 Then there's the fact that it has an extra CPU core, which means faster multitasking (and possibly better WoW, if or rather when Blizzard decide to thread it ) and less annoying anitvirus scans

And I've never even seen those coolers on the market...

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    the difference between a cheap athlon x3 and a phenom is the cache size mainly (where bigger = better)

unlocking a core means that the processor is actually a quad (!!) core processor with one of the cores is disabled, sometimes due to having a malfunction, drawing too much power, or, if you're lucky (which is becoming much more common these days) it was simply disabled due to a supply/demand for tri core processors.

so i paid next to nothing for my athlon and ended up with a no bull**** quad core beast.

Ok ok ok you guys reeled me in hehe :P
    Although can I add that on my lappy I have a Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz and I could play two Wow accounts at the same time.. was class for grouping with the RaF thingy!
    I thought that was pretty awesome.. but if you say a tricore is sweeter then I guess I'll roll with it hehe.

So back to the drawing board kinda...

If I went for a Athlon x3 how could I unlock it to a quad core? Sorry I'm still a bit WTF about it hehe.

If not a Corsair heatsink what is the basic decent one?

I thought you were talking about the corsair water cooling heatsink.
    Was all muddled with sapphire...Radeon.. etc! I knew I wanted a AMD card though.. would I be better off getting a cheap one and waiting a few months until i can afford a really decent one, then splashing out on a brand new model? Heard AMD are retiring the ATI brand soon aswell, so maybe they might have something awesome in the pipelines? :confused:
    5570? What one is that hun? Is it AMD?

I haven't heard about them retiring the ATI brand but a new series will be coming out soon (6000 series). I haven't heard anything amazing in store with them. I think it's hardly worth your while buying a bottom end card and upgrading to a medium one later. I would just get one a bit better than the 210. If you were considering a bigger upgrade, I would recommend it. Whatever you do, just buy a PSU suitable for the future as you don't want to be upgrading that for a while.

AMD = the CPU company that bought ATI
    ATI = the name of the old company, now a branch of AMD/brand name
    Radeon = the name of the series of the cards (i.e., consumer level cards)
    5000 series = the current generation (5570, 5750, 5850 etc.)
    Sapphire = one of ATI's partners in packaging/producing/distributing cards.
    If I went for a Athlon x3 how could I unlock it to a quad core? Sorry I'm still a bit WTF about it hehe.

Some motherboards have an option in the bios when you start up your computer. It's not guaranteed and they can be unstable. Nice when it does work.

I thought you were talking about the corsair water cooling heatsink.

:confused:
    Radeon = the name of the series of the cards (i.e., consumer level cards)
    5000 series = the current generation (5570, 5750, 5850 etc.)
    Sapphire = one of ATI's partners in packaging/producing/distributing cards.

Ah cheers thanks! So Radeon 5k series is what I should focus on?
    Some motherboards have an option in the bios when you start up your computer. It's not guaranteed and they can be unstable. Nice when it does work.

Ah kk got it now, thank you! Will google about the Gigabyte 870A-UD3 and see what I come up with.

Gah I know I have asked a ****load of questions and thanks for taking time out to answer them. Sorry if I have some of you left a bit confused.. believe me I spent 12 hours sitting down yesterday trying to work it all out on my own before I asked here.

This is all I'm left with now.

(1)
    My laptop has been overheating and powering off itself the last year... suprised it has lasted this long. 2 year old Dell studio 17. Much point is trying to save it with new components?

(2)
    Will i really need to buy things to regulate the heat for the RAM and HD?

(3)
    Much point in looking into water cooling?

(4)
    I do know AMD make ATI stuff and they're the company I wanted to go for as regards to the CPU and Graphics.
    Cpu I have sorted ;) But I really don't understand the Radeon 5000 series graphics cards that are coming up when I search HWVS. There's bloody millions of them and they're all priced in and around the same! Help! :(

Budget is around 60-80squids. Would love to be able to play the likes of Wow on full! :)

(5)
    CPU

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30593&agid=1242 - AMD Athlon II X3 445

OR

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=37139&agid=1242 - AMD Athlon II X3 440

1) Are you sure the problem is overheating? :confused: If so have a look at the fan and heatsink, see if they're clogged with dirt or if the fan's spinning at all.
    2) For the laptop? No. For the new desktop? ...No. :p
    3) For an ultrabudget build running WoW?!?!?! roflmao.gif
    4) Just grab the cheapest HD5570 or HD5670 available. Or even a GT240 if you prefer...
    5) You got the links the wrong way around :p There's eff-all difference really - one of them is a tiny bit faster, the other nearly a fiver cheaper. If you're economising, just get the cheaper X3-440. Just make sure to buy the Boxed (retail) version and not the Tray (OEM)! :o

1) Are you sure the problem is overheating? :confused: If so have a look at the fan and heatsink, see if they're clogged with dirt or if the fan's spinning at all.
    2) For the laptop? No. For the new desktop? ...No. :p
    3) For an ultrabudget build running WoW?!?!?! roflmao.gif
    4) Just grab the cheapest HD5570 or HD5670 available. Or even a GT240 if you prefer...
    5) You got the links the wrong way around :p There's eff-all difference really - one of them is a tiny bit faster, the other nearly a fiver cheaper. If you're economising, just get the cheaper X3-440. Just make sure to buy the Boxed (retail) version and not the Tray (OEM)! :o

Yay, i think I can stop wrecking everyones heads now and start saving!!

(1) Yeap I'm pretty sure.. it gets super hot, sounds like a truck.. fan constantly going nuts! I opened it up and noticed discolouration on the panel opposite the fan. It's burning up! Didn't look that dusty or anything inside at the time. Didnt investigate much further though and didnt have any compressed air. Also tried out..realtemp I think it was, my baby was running into the 90s.. which is bad it seems.
    When I try to do a few things at once it freaks out now... it used to be able to run two wow accounts, firefox and msn all at once :(

(2) Hehe ok, just wanted to be sure.. don't want my new rig heading down the same road as the lappy!

(3) Hahaha feck off.. it just sounded interesting and see no (2) haha :P

(4) I was warned against Geforce! Think i'll roll with AMD 5k :)

(5) Whoops! Faster boxed one....DONE!

Thanks so much for all the help. :)

I'm guessing the cooler's coming away from the CPU or the thermal paste has given up the ghost :o The fan doesn't know that its not cooling the CPU properly, all it knows is that the CPU is getting hot so it spins faster and faster...

IF you feel competent, try removing the cooler (a bit of a fiddly job with most laptops :o) and applying a fresh layer of thermal paste to anything that used to have it on (after cleaning the old stuff off said!) then put the cooler back on properly and see if it improves things. If not the heatpipe is most likely FUBAR and you'll need a new cooler :(

RAM doesn't run that hot, and the stuff you're ordering has heatspreaders anyway ;) HDDs aren't too hot either, nice to have a fan blowing air over them though :)

Watercooling is very, very epensive. And finicky. And prone to failure if you buy Thermaltake :p Which means fluid gushing everywhere :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm guessing the cooler's coming away from the CPU or the thermal paste has given up the ghost :o The fan doesn't know that its not cooling the CPU properly, all it knows is that the CPU is getting hot so it spins faster and faster...

IF you feel competent, try removing the cooler (a bit of a fiddly job with most laptops :o) and applying a fresh layer of thermal paste to anything that used to have it on (after cleaning the old stuff off said!) then put the cooler back on properly and see if it improves things. If not the heatpipe is most likely FUBAR and you'll need a new cooler :(

RAM doesn't run that hot, and the stuff you're ordering has heatspreaders anyway ;) HDDs aren't too hot either, nice to have a fan blowing air over them though :)

Watercooling is very, very epensive. And finicky. And prone to failure if you buy Thermaltake :p Which means fluid gushing everywhere :eek:

Ah yes! I remember someone telling me to check the paste before. Just wanted to check and see if it could have been anything else!
    Will google how to do it and where to buy it now. Thanks hun! :)
    So if it needs a new cooler I can just replace that and the laptop isn't a total lost cause? Awesome! My mate basically said it had no hope of being fixed or anything.

Hehe the case I picked has two funky looking fans to keep the HDD nice and cool!

Ah it looks pretty interesting though. I've seen some crazy rigs that had it online, looks very impressive but yeah gushing fluids sounds like messy business haha!

I think I am finally finished... thank fack!!

FINAL BUILD:

Moniter - LG W2242S-PF - LCD - 22" = 112.11euro (dabs)
    5BTM_EF63E86B-C47F-4690-9ADF-A88627D88F28_large.jpg
    Case - ADVANCE 8702B Turboost PC Case in black = 33,33euro (vmaxx.ie)
    l_00805583-250x250.jpg

PSU - Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W = 40,30euro (HWVS)

MOBO- Gigabyte 870A-UD3 = 85,36euro (HWVS)

CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 445 "Boxed" 95W, Sockel AM3 = 70euro (HWVS)
    CPU Heatsink - StarTech.com Heatsink + Fan AMD Athlon 19,67euro (dabs)

RAM - 2GB Corsair DDR3 PC1333 C9 ValueSelect (x2) = 75,14euro) (HWVS)

HDD - Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 7200rpm SATA-300 16MB = 37,57euro (HWVS)

Graphics - Sapphire HD5670 HM PCI-E HDMI / DVI-I / VGA W/ 512M GDDR5 VRAM = 77euro (HWVS)

Tada! So what does everyone think?? :o

Also one last question....do you think I would be able to change the LEDs on the case fans to green?
    Never mucked about with them before so scuse the nub question!

Thanks so much for all the info, you lot really helped and I learnt some new stuff too! :)

Advertisement