Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions please! :)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Flojo wrote: »
    CPU Heatsink - StarTech.com Heatsink + Fan AMD Athlon 19,67euro (dabs)
    You may as well stick with the stock fan that comes with the processor. If you find it's noisy under load then consider buying a heatsink with a 120mm diameter fan as these are the most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

You may as well stick with the stock fan that comes with the processor. If you find it's noisy under load then consider buying a heatsink with a 120mm diameter fan as these are the most popular.

Cool thanks for the heads up! Less money spent = happier Flojo :)
    So what do you make of the rest of it anyways?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hehe the case I picked has two funky looking fans to keep the HDD nice and cool!

Oh noes :o The second I hear "case" and "funky" in the same sentence I am struck by inexplicable fear... :pac:
    Moniter - LG W2242S-PF - LCD - 22" = 112.11euro (dabs)

Hmm... second-hand... you sure it'll be any cheaper than this when you factor in the added cost of the extra set of shipping? :o
    Case - ADVANCE 8702B Turboost PC Case in black = 33,33euro (vmaxx.ie)

Ugh. How much will the shiiping come to?
    MOBO- Gigabyte 870A-UD3 = 85,36euro (HWVS)

Ouch. You have to pay so much for mobos nowadays... :(
    CPU Heatsink - StarTech.com Heatsink + Fan AMD Athlon 19,67euro (dabs)

Where did you get that price from? :confused:This is much better. HWVS have stopped stocking the Hyper 212+ :(
    RAM - 2GB Corsair DDR3 PC1333 C9 ValueSelect (x2) = 75,14euro) (HWVS)

Why not this? :confused:
    Also one last question....do you think I would be able to change the LEDs on the case fans to green?
    Never mucked about with them before so scuse the nub question!

There is an expression around here, and we know it as Dremel Time :pac: For that is one of the many implements you will need to effect such a change in LED colour :p

Solitaire wrote: »
    Oh noes :o The second I hear "case" and "funky" in the same sentence I am struck by inexplicable fear... :pac:

Have no fear....I'm a classy burd! :p
    Hmm... second-hand... you sure it'll be any cheaper than this when you factor in the added cost of the extra set of shipping? :o

But I had my heart set on an LG one, to match my tv... :( yeah I know I'm being a brand whore but I'm just worried about buying an unknown. I know it's 2nd hand but it has a 3 year warranty on it afaik!
    Ugh. How much will the shiiping come to?

Shops in Cork.. I'm in Galway.. friends in Cork too.. might kill two birds with one stone there cause I have no fecking iota how much shipping is cause they don't bloody say it!
    Ouch. You have to pay so much for mobos nowadays... :(
    I don't mind at all.. just hope it runs just as well with the tricore athlon! :p
    Where did you get that price from? :confused:This is much better. HWVS have stopped stocking the Hyper 212+ :(

(dabs) = Dabs.ie and it looked pretty :(

Why not this? :confused:
    Once again, brand whoring, had a bad experiance with an unknown cheap as5 brand on my PC a few years back. You sure that RAMs ok?
    There is an expression around here, and we know it as Dremel Time :pac: For that is one of the many implements you will need to effect such a change in LED colour :p

The fack?.. so they don't just.. em,.. like clip out no?...gah what am i saying, of course they wouldn't *grumbles*.... :(

Ok i think it could be time for build change number 129.... :o:(

I now have two choices for MOBO/CPU/GRAPHICS!

The original (as of 2.39am)....

(1)
    Hardwareversand:

MOBO - Gigabyte 870A-UD3 = 85,36euro

CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 445 "Boxed" 95W, Sockel AM3 = 70euro

GRAPHICS - Sapphire HD5670 HM PCI-E HDMI / DVI-I / VGA W/ 512M GDDR5 VRAM = 77euro

= 232.36euro, not including delivery.

Or its contender I just found on Maplins website.. we have a store here in Galway....

(2)
    Maplin:

MOBO - Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2 motherboard with performance cooling fan

CPU - AMD Phenom 8850 X3 Triple Core 2500MHz

GRAPHICS - XFX GeForce™ GT240 512MB DDR5

= 227.54euro and I should be able to pick it up at the store.

• Advertisement

But I had my heart set on an LG one, to match my tv... :( yeah I know I'm being a brand whore but I'm just worried about buying an unknown. I know it's 2nd hand but it has a 3 year warranty on it afaik!

*points and laughs at the brand-ho* :pac:

On a more serious note, BenQ are always a bit hit-and-miss and ironically its one of their cheapest monitors ever that ends up being the hit... got good reviews for a budget monitor which was why I strayed from the hallowed halls of LG (which I also stick to normally :D)
    (dabs) = Dabs.ie and it looked pretty :(

I know that :p I just don't see it anywhere on the site... :confused:
    Once again, brand whoring, had a bad experiance with an unknown cheap as5 brand on my PC a few years back. You sure that RAMs ok?

OCZ are actually one of the bigger brands! :p Besides, its very rare for RAM of dubious origin to actually sport any heatspreaders :p
    The fack?.. so they don't just.. em,.. like clip out no?...gah what am i saying, of course they wouldn't *grumbles*.... :(

They might, albeit most likely with a little bit of drill-based "persuasion" :p Then you'd need to cut them out of the wire loop and solder in some green LEDs with identical physical size and electrical characteristics, and then fit them back in the fan...

(2)
    Maplin:

Mobo is dreadful beyond belief, as is the CPU. GPU is okay-ish. Not to mention Craplin are vile poo-peddlers and might not even have that kit in stock in your local store anyway... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Or its contender I just found on Maplins website.. we have a store here in Galway....

(2)
    Maplin:

Maplins relies on one thing for sales - confused customers

They rummage through bins, find weird old AMD parts that no one wants anymore and sells them at high prices.

The only reason why people actually buy from Maplins is because once, when they were young, they bought a cool remote control car from them, thats it!

*points and laughs at the brand-ho*

On a more serious note, BenQ are always a bit hit-and-miss and ironically its one of their cheapest monitors ever that ends up being the hit... got good reviews for a budget monitor which was why I strayed from the hallowed halls of LG (which I also stick to normally )

I don't actually think it was used as in taken home by someone and getting the usual wear and tear. It says in the description; There are many reasons why a product may be classed as used stock ranging from missing manuals or software to simply having been opened or having damaged packaging. Good enough for me hehe. I rather go with LG as it's fairly cheap and I love the brand. Though I might just used my old moniter for a while til my bank balance recovers hehe.
    I know that I just don't see it anywhere on the site...

Gah trust me it was there hehe.
    OCZ are actually one of the bigger brands! Besides, its very rare for RAM of dubious origin to actually sport any heatspreaders
    Ah kk I never actually heard of them. Cool will stick with your suggestion so! :)

They might, albeit most likely with a little bit of drill-based "persuasion" Then you'd need to cut them out of the wire loop and solder in some green LEDs with identical physical size and electrical characteristics, and then fit them back in the fan...
    Cool I will see how that goes hehe. I'm lucky that two of the lads I live with have some equipment that will help!
    Mobo is dreadful beyond belief, as is the CPU. GPU is okay-ish. Not to mention Craplin are vile poo-peddlers and might not even have that kit in stock in your local store anyway...

CPU is dreadful?? I thought the Phenom X3 was very decent? Only reason I wasn't going for it solo was the price! I know the MOBO is a bit meh but I thought for a decent CPU and graphics card the price was alright as it is a bit cheaper than the other "bundle". Confuzzled!
    Yeah I wasn't overly impressed with anything else on the site as they're all overpriced... was really hoping to find something as theres a store in Galway and would have been no delivery charge.
    Jonny7 wrote: »
    The only reason why people actually buy from Maplins is because once, when they were young, they bought a cool remote control car from them, thats it!

Haha whenever they came up in conversation with anyone that was the first thing mentioned!!

I don't actually think it was used as in taken home by someone and getting the usual wear and tear. It says in the description; There are many reasons why a product may be classed as used stock ranging from missing manuals or software to simply having been opened or having damaged packaging. Good enough for me hehe. I rather go with LG as it's fairly cheap and I love the brand. Though I might just used my old moniter for a while til my bank balance recovers hehe.

It said "returned" IIRC :o That, and my hard-won bias against Dabs were the only reasons I suggested an alternative - the LGs are nice :D
    Gah trust me it was there hehe.

Pics or GTFO! :pac:
    Cool I will see how that goes hehe. I'm lucky that two of the lads I live with have some equipment that will help!

Bye bye warranty... :p
    CPU is dreadful?? I thought the Phenom X3 was very decent? Only reason I wasn't going for it solo was the price! I know the MOBO is a bit meh but I thought for a decent CPU and graphics card the price was alright as it is a bit cheaper than the other "bundle". Confuzzled!

Phenom2 X2/3/4 are very decent. They're 45nm parts and run a lot faster and a lot cooler than the original 65nm Phenoms, which everyone tended to avoid like the plague :o That old Phenom is, as Jonny said, something Maplin found while rummaging around in their part bins for weird old undesirable AMD parts that they'll sell (at a mark-up! :rolleyes::o) to the next unwary customer... :mad:
    Haha whenever they came up in conversation with anyone that was the first thing mentioned!!

:rolleyes::p:p

It said "returned" IIRC :o That, and my hard-won bias against Dabs were the only reasons I suggested an alternative - the LGs are nice :D

Why are you against Dabs? Hmm nearly considering keeping an eye out on adverts or special offers in stores in Galway instead. Would prefer to only have to deal with ordering online with one website but we'll see!
    Pics or GTFO! :pac:

4k0b_xlarge.jpg

:cool:;)

Bye bye warranty... :p

Pfft green LEDs are more important! :D
    Phenom2 X2/3/4 are very decent. They're 45nm parts and run a lot faster and a lot cooler than the original 65nm Phenoms, which everyone tended to avoid like the plague :o That old Phenom is, as Jonny said, something Maplin found while rummaging around in their part bins for weird old undesirable AMD parts that they'll sell (at a mark-up! :rolleyes::o) to the next unwary customer... :mad:

Ah yeaaaah lol.. it was the early hours of the morning easy mistake to make haha. Didn't cop that it wasn't Phenom2. At that stage I wasn't thinking clearly whatsoever, still haven't slept... feel like a zombie and not one of those agile awesome ones! :pac:

• Advertisement

Why are you against Dabs?

Bad experiences with them in the past :( A lot of people can't even use them as Dabs seems reluctant to accept any kind of payment as valid! :rolleyes::p
    4k0b_xlarge.jpg
    :cool:;)

Now count yourself lucky you didn't buy it :p That's just the stock heatsink with a different-coloured fan, the cheeky gits! :eek::p
    Pfft green LEDs are more important! :D

We'll make a modder out of you yet ;):D
    Ah yeaaaah lol.. it was the early hours of the morning easy mistake to make haha. Didn't cop that it wasn't Phenom2. At that stage I wasn't thinking clearly whatsoever, still haven't slept... feel like a zombie and not one of those agile awesome ones! :pac:

We've all made those mistakes! :o And fast zombies are overrated anyway. They can't outrun minigun fire :pac:

Bad experiences with them in the past :( A lot of people can't even use them as Dabs seems reluctant to accept any kind of payment as valid! :rolleyes::p
    Really? Hmm will take that into consideation. TBH i'd say my old school compak moniter will do me for a while... also might scavange about inside the case and see if I can find anything juicy.. probably not considering how ancient it is hehe.
    Now count yourself lucky you didn't buy it :p That's just the stock heatsink with a different-coloured fan, the cheeky gits! :eek::p
    But it's sooooo shiny!!! :(:P
    We'll make a modder out of you yet ;):D
    Haha making up a rig is one thing.. actually taking the parts out of the packaging and actually doing something instead of staring blankly at them is another!
    We've all made those mistakes! :o And fast zombies are overrated anyway. They can't outrun minigun fire :pac:
    Haha I suppose, they do keep you on your toes though!

Gah realised I didn't pick out a disk drive, spotted an LG one on HWVS for like 13squids but eh yeah haven't the head for trawling through sites at the moment...neeeeeed sleep! zzZZ

Gah realised I didn't pick out a disk drive, spotted an LG one on HWVS for like 13squids but eh yeah haven't the head for trawling through sites at the moment...neeeeeed sleep! zzZZ

€13? :confused: Make sure that's a DVD burner you're buying if you need to burn stuff, they start at €17! :p

resource?articleId=23095&size=2

:confused::)

Yep ;)

Anybody wanna lend me 450squids and I'll pay you back in hugs and cookies? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Anybody wanna lend me 450squids and I'll pay you back in hugs and cookies? :p
    Pics or GTFO.

Pics or GTFO.

chocolate-chip-cookies.jpg

:p

And now the pic of your hugs...

:pac:

And now the pic of your hugs...

:pac:

Haha feck off! Damn should have said milk and cookies! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Mmm... threads in the building & upgrading forum don't usually make me hungry.

Anyhow, here's your squids.

mat-squids-450x337.jpg

There's 450 of them there... honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The **** is going on in this thread. When did this forum turn in to a singles club :p

92410.gif

j/k ;)

Anti wrote: »
    The **** is going on in this thread. When did this forum turn in to a singles club :p

92410.gif

j/k ;)

Haha what can I say.. I'm desperate for a new rig :p

Nothing wrong with a friendly hug anyhow, brightens up a day :D

Ok I am just about to start ordering... if you can suggest any better and cheaper alternatives please do!! I really don't want to mess this up. :o:(

BUILD.jpg

CPU and PSU are very out of stock :o

CPU and PSU are very out of stock :o

I know but I'll wait or find them somewhere cheaper or in a shop maybe! :)

The Amazon 550W is still in stock and probably the best alternative seeing as the inferior OCZ StealthXStream 500W is nearly as expensive and the CX400 is AWOL :o

And the X3-440 should be back in stock soon, if you don't want to chance waiting for the X3-445 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

change the HDD to a samsung F3 500gb only ~3 euro more.

also, get that CPU's forth core unlocked when you get it!

Sweet thanks for the heads up! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement