Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pissed TD threathens female Garda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

In any case, the garda wasn't arresting him, was she? Just trying to stop him driving when she didn't consider him fit to drive safely.

Excellent. I'm looking forward to being gently cajoled out of my car soon by the guard that discovers me driving gee-eyed and asks me not to drive it anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Why indeed? Alcohol is a nice unwinder after the week's work is over, but the idea that it should be part of daily life is crazy.

But it is. As a nation we are obsessed with drink. Nothing happens in Irish life without it. Public drunkeness is widely accepted. Thousands of people a year are caught drink driving. Our leader can go on the radio half tore/hung over and a huge chunk of the population will defend him because 'ah shure, haven't ya done the same yourself of a Monday morning'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

A statesmen he is, worth every penny :rolleyes:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0602/1224271677114.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

in reply to op
    pissed td threatens garda..allegedly
    do the gardai brief journalists about a fairly recent incident?
    garda quotes leader of opposition, was that garda operating in donegal in the mcbrearty case?

somebody is worried about something;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

And the FF propaganda machine goes into full swing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Actually the twats are on both sides of the divide.

Typical of the Indo to release it now, though.

I wonder if Fungus Fanning has any more in his FF crisis file, to only be used in emergencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

dvpower wrote: »
    Then the newspaper decided to sit on the story for two months? WTF.

This should be fun.:)

I doubt this is the newspaper sitting on it. I'd imagine that someone involved with FF informed the Sindo of the incident this week, to try spread the controversy around. FF have probably been sitting on it, waiting for the best opportunity to pounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And the FF propaganda machine goes into full swing.

That or someone is responsible for their own actions maybe?

Was Simon Coveney not the FG propaganda machine going in to action?

The need to blame FF on everything gets very tedious after a while.

Stekelly wrote: »
    That or someone is responsible for their own actions maybe?

Was Simon Coveney not the FG propaganda machine going in to action?

The need to blame FF on everything gets very tedious after a while.

How convenient it comes to light now.

Of course Conveney's comments were political motivated but ya know what? he has no power, the FF do, and have had for a while now. These are our government, who should we blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

These are our government, who should we blame.

The TD that got locked , tried to drive his car then threatened the Gard that wouldnt let him maybe?

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    The TD that got locked , tried to drive his car then threatened the Gard that wouldnt let him maybe?

The story is a bit off.

What I find interesting that there was no subsequent Gardai investigation. I can only assume there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute, a non story if that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

prosecute a td?

are you mad

look this show that this whole crap about worrying about getting fg or anyone else in is bullshyt he got special treatment we have been done the second we got in to a car on public property (last time i checked we still owned leinster house) all he goyt aws told not to drive he threatens a gaurd and he gets no punishment and kenny tells the cop to be quiet.

if it was me i'd runninmg up and down the sugar loaf with no driving lisence

Tigger wrote: »
    prosecute a td?

are you mad

Jim McDaid and Christy O'Sullivan would beg to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Actually the twats are on both sides of the divide.

Typical of the Indo to release it now, though.

I wonder if Fungus Fanning has any more in his FF crisis file, to only be used in emergencies?

I'd say it's gonna be "FG TD ate my hamster" from now on. Indo's a rag:rolleyes:

But I still think this drunken gobsh1te should be in a cell - maybe one of FG's proposed Drunk Tanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

At this stage, I'm actually convinced that FG was infiltrated by FF agents pretty much wholesale, and they're being paid top dollar to provide enough grist for the rumour mill that FG will never shake FF out of power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The story is a bit off.
    What I find interesting that there was no subsequent Gardai investigation. I can only assume there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute, a non story if that is the case.

...Or that because of who was involved, it was thought better/beneficial if it wasn't followed up?

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Or that because of who was involved, it was thought better/beneficial if it wasn't followed up?

I don't believe that. Sure wasn't the head of the traffic core done for DD.

There is more to this story that meets the eye and if it is true, the Gardai in question is no good at their job. They had the law on their side and they failed to enforce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

There is more to this story that meets the eye and if it is true, the Gardai in question is no good at their job. They had the law on their side and they failed to enforce it.
    They didn't the politian had imminity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Threatening the career of a Garda is bang out of order. That is a grosse misuse of power and if Enda Kenny does not kick him from the party, then he is once again showing that he lacks any sort of backbone.

As you say there is something more to this story and if the present wage payers or the next future ones (FG?) after the next election, are asked for more manpower, overtime, equipment, etc... would they previously be remembered to be biting the hand that would later be asked to feed them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

some people just cant handle Dublin:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

efb wrote: »
    They didn't the politian had imminity

The constitution states:

The members of each House of the Oireachtas shall, except in case of treason as defined in this Constitution, felony or breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest in going to and returning from, and while within the precincts of, either House, and shall not, in respect of any utterance in either House, be amenable to any court or any authority other than the House itself.

Now, what is a breach of the peace? The Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994 says this:
    6.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person in a public place to use or engage in any threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to provoke a breach of the peace or being reckless as to whether a breach of the peace may be occasioned.
    If the car park in Leinster House is a public place, then I can see a case for no immunity from arrest.

Biggins wrote: »
    As you say there is something more to this story and if the present wage payers or the next future ones (FG?) after the next election, are asked for more manpower, overtime, equipment, etc... would they previously be remembered to be biting the hand that would later be asked to feed them?

That argument doesn't really stand up though as FF TD's have be prosecuted in the past for similar breaches of the law.

That argument doesn't really stand up though as FF TD's have be proscuted in the past for similar breaches of the law.
    True somewhat but then again we all know FF days are over for the future time being. They are just biding their time now.
    Now FG or Labours...?

As you say and I agree anyway, there is something more to this story and not just from one aspect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The constitution states:

Now, what is a breach of the peace? The Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994 says this:

If the car park in Leinster House is a public place, then I can see a case for no immunity from arrest.

I'd say his lawers would make short work of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

efb wrote: »
    I'd say his lawers would make short work of it

The charge itself, or the fact that he was arrested? I'm not sure what grounds they would have for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So any politicans tweeting on this yet?

"Ah sure he only had eight or nine pints and he wasn't driving the full way back to Cork". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Did he call her "Sugar Tits"?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    refers to Cowen visiting his father in Leinster House in the "late eighties". His father died in 1984!

Yeah. He'd had a serious skinful that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/youll-get-nothing-when-were-in-power-fine-gael-td-tells-garda-2343743.html
    Yesterday Mr Sheehan also told the Sunday Independent that, since the incident, he had not apologised to the garda concerned. "I've never been contacted by the garda," he explained. He also said that he had not been contacted about the incident by Mr Kenny, nor had he ever discussed the incident with him.

Says a lot about Sheehan and Kenny. :rolleyes:

Advertisement