Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pissed TD threathens female Garda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

just another drunken pounce thinking there going in to power fg/ff the g-twats
    free loading twits they would,nt run a bath between them.and why is,nt that bar in the dail closed every other bar in the country is closing..oh hang on they dont pay full price as they must be avoiding vat as theres one law for one......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Seems our politicians have a serious problem in dealing with alcohol.

It just goes to show how little difference there is between the two major parties in this State and how little credibility they really have underneath it the facade. We're still being presided over by gombeen small farmers, teachers and publicans who speak out of both sides of their mouths on every issue. Still a corrupt ****hole through and through.

Drink Driving legislation, my hole! They vote for it yet they'd snap if it was actually applied upon them in the way which it's applied to the ordinary members of the public, who would most likely be arrested for being behind the wheel of the car and driving on private property to the barrier, like Mr. Sheehan did and would have been on the road only for the Garda refused to allow the staff member to raise the barrier.

It's obviously an attempt by some in AGS with an FF loyalty that this story is being leaked at the current time, but it would make you wonder what else never sees the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Why does it matter that the garda was female?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a brief mention of the gardas sex out of human interest, but the way you put it in the title makes it seem as if you think it's actually important :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a brief mention of the gardas sex, but the way you put it in the title makes it seem as if you think it's important :confused:.

For good or for bad, a guy physically threatening a woman is taboo in Irish society.

That's just how it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Zebra3 wrote: »

What's it got to do with Kenny? There is no evidence of wrongdoing nor that he issued a threat to anyone. From the report, it is suggested that he was visited by a sergeant after the event. The comment reported is merely alleged and could equally be construed as not heeding that drunken fool, etc.

I also wonder how that rag Sindo can quote a confidential garda file. Surely never Dermot Ahern's Justice Department or the "apolitical" Gardai themselves leaked it..

And will this leak be investigated with the same veracity as the Trevor Sargent leak was or the Dean Lyons report, as it may end up in court and could prejudice a fair trial ? I somehow sincerely doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Absolutely amazing coincidental timing of the leaking of this story - both drink related.

If I was suspicious, I would say it was leaked as to try cause a distraction from another's antics and at the same time shoot one at the other team on the other side of the Dail.

Good job I'm not suspicious and am instead, dumb and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Biggins wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing coincidental timing of the leaking of this story - both drink related.

If I was suspicious, I would say it was leaked as to try cause a distraction from another antics and at the same time shoot one at the other team on the other side of the Dail.

Ah feck! Does that mean I'm dumb and stupid too ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Ah feck! Does that mean I'm dumb and stupid too ?
    Well, either we all must be or someone/group thinks we are.
    I'm finding it hard to work out which one is the right answer. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If I was suspicious, I would say it was leaked as to try cause a distraction from another's antics and at the same time shoot one at the other team on the other side of the Dail.

In fairness, this is a much more serious issue than someone having a hangover. As much as I can't stand Cowen and his party - Having a hangover on radio is a forgivable offence. I'd be more worried about Cowen's politics, than how he sounds after a few beers the next morning.

This however involved a drunk TD who threatened a member of An Garda Síochána to obstruct career advancement if they interfered with his drunk driving. How anyone can even compare Cowen's very minor hangover, with this serious offence is beyond me.

Sheehan should be fired, and fine heavily. You can't go around flaunting your power, trying to intimidate the Gardaí so that they'll let you away to drive your car, while you're intoxicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Well, either we all must be or someone/group thinks we are.
    I'm finding it hard to work out which one is the right answer. ;)

It's the cells for you tonight, Biggins.

Maybe you can convince the Judge tomorrow that you are not a nuisance and threat to the public order.

/slams door

/peers through peephole for no apparent reason

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    In fairness, this is a much more serious issue than someone having a hangover. As much as I can't stand Cowen and his party - Having a hangover on radio is a forgivable offence. I'd be more worried about Cowen's politics, than how he sounds after a few beers the next morning.

This however involved a drunk TD who threatened a member of An Garda Síochána to obstruct career advancement if they interfered with his drunk driving. How anyone can even compare Cowen's very minor hangover, with this serious offence is beyond me.

Sheehan should be fired, and fine heavily. You can't go around flaunting your power, trying to intimidate the Gardaí so that they'll let you away to drive your car, while you're intoxicated.
    Absolutely and don't get me wrong. I agree 100%.

Just amazing that this leaks with days of the other farce still blowing...

It's the cells for you tonight, Biggins.
    Maybe you can convince the Judge tomorrow that you are not a nuisance and threat to the public order.
    You kidding!
    I can't even convince my wife! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Fired? He should have been arrested at the time of the offence like you or me would have. Its a massive pile of steaming sh1te that he has gotten away with this.

Have no doubt about it, if it were me or you, the Garda would have found some reason to arrest you.

Once more, this countries politicians have proven that they shouldnt be anywhere near the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I agree with all you said there but isn't that all the more reason to leak the story?

I mean they knew this story would drown out the other one, it being a much more serious issue.

No doubt FF leaks cover their tracks quite well and we won't find out how and why the story was leaked at this time, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

The story is a bit off.

What I find interesting that there was no subsequent Gardai investigation. I can only assume there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute, a non story if that is the case.

"Non story"? :confused:

Surely there was no subsequent Gardai investigation because he didn't actually drink drive, he was prevented from doing so by the Guard. He therefore didn't commit a criminal offence because of the vigilance of the Guard that prevented him from doing so.

A TD attempts to drink drive, and then threatens the career of a Guard. Thats a pretty big story.

I sincerely hope that Enda finally shows the political leadership that this country needs by (belatedly) ejecting him from the party.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I know Haughey threatened to have a local garda sent to Tory if he wasn't left go on his merry way-merry being the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Another useless political cnut, getting p1ssed on our taxes. There all the fcuking same.

...I sincerely hope that Enda finally shows the political leadership that this country needs by (belatedly) ejecting him from the party.
    Given his age, etc, what will likely happen is that he will be allowed stand down at the next election and will himself, allow another to stand in his stead - if for FG PR reasons alone.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I agree with all you said there but isn't that all the more reason to leak the story?

Oh yeah - No doubt. But the motive is really a non-issue. The real issue is yet another politician getting away with it, and Enda Kenny's lack of backbone yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

In fairness to him he was in his right to tell the guard where to go. Its not against any laws. No one has mentioned the Guard either. She was probably on their usual power trips. Sure isn't the Gardai Siochana just a giant FAS course for people not from dublin.

• Advertisement

seven-iron wrote: »
    In fairness to him he was in his right to tell the guard where to go. Its not against any laws. No one has mentioned the Guard either. She was probably on their usual power trips. Sure isn't the Gardai Siochana just a giant FAS course for people not from dublin.
    Utter cobblers!

There is no call to be rude to anyone, never mind make threats! Be it a cop or counter staff or whatever.

Do you know the female Garda? No?
    So how do you say "She was probably on their usual power trips" ???

Complete cobblers!

In fairness to him he was in his right to tell the guard where to go. Its not against any laws.

It's not against any laws to drive whilst inebriated to the point where you can barely stand up?
    No one has mentioned the Guard either. She was probably on their usual power trips.

That's because we'd rather discuss the more pertinent issue - abusing political power to try and coerce a member of the Gardaí to not interfering with drink-driving.

Given his age, etc, what will likely happen is that he will be allowed stand down at the next election and will himself, allow another to stand in his stead - if for FG PR reasons alone.

Yeah I agree that that's the likely outcome.

I was just wishing out loud that there was some sort of leadership in Irish politics that would stand up to the horrible political culture we have here.

I mean Sheehan seems to think that he has some sort of right to drink drive because he is a TD.

And then (even worse in my opinion) he thinks that he can threaten a Guard for interfering with him breaking the law. Thats nearly dictatorial.

Well do you know the politician personally? If not how can you critise him? He is entitled to have fun himself every so often. He has worked very hard to get to that point. Yet some gaurd who probably didnt know who he was, was telling him what to do like some school teacher.This blame game is getting ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...

Well do you know the politician personally? If not how can you critise him?

So you have to know a politician on a personal level before you can criticise their actions?
    He is entitled to have fun himself every so often.

That fun does not include driving while being so intoxicated, you can barely stand.
    He has worked very hard to get to that point.

12 pints, and half a bottle of JD was it?
    Yet some gaurd who probably didnt know who he was, was telling him what to do like some school teacher.

Telling him not to drink & drive. How bold of her. What a terrible Garda she is.

to dlofnep

You do not need to know a policitian personally if you disagree with his policies, but you do you if you are going to proceed to attack his character. I have no problem with policitians having fun and a sing song. I am a Fianna Fail supporter and without them, Ireland would be in terrible state. This heresay of "12 pints" is utter rubbish. Who drinks 12 pints like. Next we will be hearing he was drinking paint for two straight weeks.

dvpower wrote: »
    Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...Troll Alert ...

I don't think he's a troll, I think that Sheehan's wife trying to get some sympathy for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I am a Fianna Fail supporter and without them, Ireland would be in terrible state.

Troll alert cancelled. It was way worse than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The only person who takes a drunk seriously is Simon Coveney! :D:D

(did I make a funny? Did I? Did I? .............awright I get me coat.)

Advertisement