Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pissed TD threathens female Garda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

damn fianna fail, ruining this country with their corrupt idiot party members, oh wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Vladidim wrote: »
    Also, there'd be nothing ironic about Coveney bringing down "his own leader" given that he openly opposed Enda Kenny just a few months ago during the leadership heave.

There is a subtle difference between voting for a new leader and causing the resignation of your leader and also highlighting the fact that your party are as morally circumspect as FF. It might be irony to you but it is idiocy to me.

sesna wrote: »
    Kenny is not alleged to have been under the influence of alcohol and about to drive his car.

Going by Cowens performance the other morning at 9am, it's a good thing he has two full time garda drivers to ferry him around.

he told the sergeant to 'ignore' the threat. Better men have gone for lesser.

It's all a joke, within a week we see there is no substantive difference in the way any of these people behave. The scandals and revelations of the last few years hasn't changed their behaviour one bit.
    The con , that change of party is going make a difference, nearly worked. It won't.

p.s. Notice I still haven't used the C word:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

That guy PJ Sheehan should resign immediately -

And if it is true that Enda Kenny told the Gardai to ignore Sheehan -then he should resign too .

Two dimwits.

Normally this type of arrogance is reserved for FF.

Throw them out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

and let jim henson and the muppets take over miss piggy for pres and gonzo for cowen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

knird evol wrote: »
    maybe Enda was going around to centra for a few cans of dutch gold and himself and Sheehan were just going to sit in the carpark playing the car stereo having a few cans and smokes. turn the car heater on. cowan was going to stall around and he'd be telling jokes and they'd all be having the crack.
    The garda was jumping to conclusions he was gonna drive
    I'm picturing Cyprus hill on the stereo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

damn fianna fail, ruining this country with their corrupt idiot party members, oh wait....

I'm amazed this FG deputy is apologising.

Did he learn nothing from Fianna Fail's Bertie Ahern who won his money on horses, Willie O'Dea who forgot he perjured himself when a recording was produced, Ivor Callelly who really does commute to the Dail from Cork, John O'Donoghue who was claiming all those expenses because of legitimate business meetings in Cannes, Brian Cowen who had a bad case of sinusitus which cleared up within a few hours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The Garda gave him a chance, unless i'm mistaken the car park for TD's is not open to the public thus not making it a public place, so he couldn't have been arrested for Drink Driving unless he passed the barrier. She was preventing a crime, which is also the job of a Garda.

As for the threat, he should resign, and he should be prosecuted, but it will never happen because the Garda won't give evidence because if she does she'll be shafted to the ar$ehole of no where 5 hours from her home, family and friends and she won't be able to do anything about it. It's why she was giving him a chance, because she didn't want to have to arrest him and end up being transferred.

All politicians get away with everything in this country because they all know someone who knows someone who gives someone money to do something for someone. We have all heard the stories. And it will never change. And it pis$es me off, but there is absolutely nothing that anyone can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm amazed this FG deputy is apologising....

...Brian Cowen who had a bad case of sinusitus which cleared up within a few hours ?

Brian Cowen did apologize for the interview

Ok, not the reason for the poor interview but he did apologize for the poor interview

Brian Cowen did apologize for the interview

Ok, not the reason for the poor interview but he did apologize for the poor interview

:confused: But he maintained all throughout the week that his answers in the interview were perfect, as did his ministers.

As regards how it came across, we have already established that it was a case of sore throat/sinus problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He is correct, his answers were fine

I'd say the majority of people posting on this thread didn't actually listen to the answers.
    Just focused on the delivery

If you were to read a transcript of the interview then the answers were perfectly fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Garda gave him a chance, unless i'm mistaken the car park for TD's is not open to the public thus not making it a public place, so he couldn't have been arrested for Drink Driving unless he passed the barrier. She was preventing a crime, which is also the job of a Garda...
    Actually, you can be arrested even in your own drive away for being intoxicated while at the wheel of a car or transport.
    I've heard of such cases over the years been brought up before a judge.

The thing about the Dail is, to where does the building definition of "Dail immunity" actually extend to? The building itself or up to its outside railings and beyond?

Biggins wrote: »
    Given his age, etc, what will likely happen is that he will be allowed stand down at the next election and will himself, allow another to stand in his stead - if for FG PR reasons alone.
    Looks like I was right...
    The TD is understood to be retiring at the next General Election.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/td-apologises-to-gardai-in-row-over-drunken-threats-2344419.html

I'm amazed this FG deputy is apologising.

Did he learn nothing from Fianna Fail's Bertie Ahern who won his money on horses, Willie O'Dea who forgot he perjured himself when a recording was produced, Ivor Callelly who really does commute to the Dail from Cork, John O'Donoghue who was claiming all those expenses because of legitimate business meetings in Cannes, Brian Cowen who had a bad case of sinusitus which cleared up within a few hours ?

Does anybody else get the familiar whiff of hypocrisy around here? We want the scalp of a Taoiseach for essenitially,embarassing us (doing what a lot of us do all the time. eg have a night out) But we see nothing wrong with a TD attempting to drink and drive and his party leader trying to bury the fact that he threatened a guard???? (who incidentally is the only one of the whole freaking lot of them who did the simple thing; 'Their Duty')

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So he gets to pick up another two hundred grand or so between now and then, and only apologises two and a half months after his shameful behaviour when he is exposed in the national media.

How honourable. :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So he gets to pick up another two hundred grand or so between now and then, and only apologises two and a half months after his shameful behaviour when he is exposed in the national media.

How honourable. :rolleyes:
    Yes, our TD's really do set great examples to lead by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Given his age, etc, what will likely happen is that he will be allowed stand down at the next election and will himself, allow another to stand in his stead - if for FG PR reasons alone.

Think he is standing down , trying to hand the seat over to his son.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Does anybody else get the familiar whiff of hypocrisy around here? We want the scalp of a Taoiseach for essenitially,embarassing us (doing what a lot of us do all the time. eg have a night out) But we see nothing wrong with a TD attempting to drink and drive and his party leader trying to bury the fact that he threatened a guard???? (who incidentally is the only one of the whole freaking lot of them who did the simple thing; 'Their Duty')

His behaviour toward the garda was a disgrace.

What I find incredible is this effort to drag Kenny into the incident based on an interpretation of some alleged comment he made while leaving the Dail. All this with the intent to distract from Cowen's drinking and incomptence.

Also questioning who leaked this confidential report, and will this leak be investigated. I can not bring myself to bring the Ahern's Department of Justice would ever do such a thing, nor the independent apolitical garda who acted so independently and professionally when Cowen's portrait was put up in the national gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What I find incredible is this effort to drag Kenny into the incident based on an interpretation of some alleged comment he made while leaving the Dail.

Kenny's part in this is that he is leader of FG and seems to have no issue with the behaviour of Sheehan.

If Kenny had either balls or backbone, he'd have moved to have Sheehan thrown out of Fine Gael and he would have requested him to resign straight away.

One again FG acting like, and judging themselves by FF standards.

Think he is standing down, trying to hand the seat over to his son.

Another version of Jackie Healy Rea then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What I find incredible is this effort to drag Kenny into the incident based on an interpretation of some alleged comment he made while leaving the Dail. All this with the intent to distract from Cowen's drinking and incomptence.

Also questioning who leaked this confidential report, and will this leak be investigated. I can not bring myself to bring the Ahern's Department of Justice would ever do such a thing, nor the independent apolitical garda who acted so independently and professionally when Cowen's portrait was put up in the national gallery.
    It doesn't matter what kenny said...if he witnessed the incident and said nothing, expecting it to dissapear then he's guilty of something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Another version of Jackie Healy Rea then.

yes but without Jackies Clout,

good net worker is about the best you can say for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Disgraceful behaviour. And yes I know, it's amazing that it surfaced this week but that doesn't change the facts.

Wonder how many incidents like this are being kept quiet?

c_man wrote: »
    ...Wonder how many incidents like this are being kept quiet?
    Too many. I know alone of a few from past TD's.

What I find incredible is this effort to drag Kenny into the incident based on an interpretation of some alleged comment he made while leaving the Dail.

Kenny's intervention is in the Garda report, nothing alleged about it.

All this with the intent to distract from Cowen's drinking and incomptence.

lol.....I would have thought that for those genuinely concerned (and not involved in a blood lusting pointless witch hunt (who said witch hunt???? wisht at that old chat!:D:D) that this incident would have magnified the problem not distracted from it. But silly old me, there was me thinking people where being consistent.

Shock horror, a politician using the media to gain political oppurtunity??? Where have I heard that before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

dvpower wrote: »
    The gaurd thought he was too intoxicated to stand up, but still allowed him to drive? WTF
    The sargent decided to deal with it by having a word with Kenny? WTF.
    Then the newspaper decided to sit on the story for two months? WTF.

This should be fun.:)

My understanding is that as a result of the sergeants actions he did not drive WTF

The word with enda kenny happened as he was present WTF

Newspapers are newspapers WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

PCPhoto wrote: »
    no .... but its cheaper to drink alcohol than soft drinks in this country - even with the cheap drink in Leinster House (why is there a bar in leinster house ???)

There are two bars in Leinster house.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There are two bars in Leinster house.
    Indeed and the one attached to the restaurant too!

All of which, although YOU are paying for, you cannot see daily or take a picture of.
    Its all top secret! Hush-hush... And you wonder why? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Duckjob wrote: »
    I've a feeling Fine Gael could be about to bail Fianna Fail out out of their troubles once again.

It supposedly happened last July. Seems like a great coincidence that it happens to only come out now on Cowens bad news week.

As for the incident in question, why was the scumbag not slapped in handcuffs and arrested as soon as he made an attempt to start his car, same way any of us would be ?

This is the problem with the opposition. They're a pack of morons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Its why I love living in the developing world. I can actually say these things to a police officer, and even better, have the power to do it through contacts.

Then, I do not drink and drive, and they do not have a chance to get me on most semi-legal acts.

Advertisement