Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise and pregnancy

• 19-09-2010 8:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Found out I is "up the duff" a couple of days ago, bit of shock :D but i was wondering about exercise now.

I know the general rule is anything you did before you became pregnant should be fine while pregnant but are sit ups still ok to do? Ive heard it can cause problems with the muscles stitching back together after the birth. And overheating can cause the baby to over heat as well? I will be going to the doctor when i can get an appointment and asking the questions but just in the interim i dont want to be doing anything Im not supposed to.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Congratulations RedPunto!

Sit ups are to be avoided alright as well as anything where you're upside down (like inverted yoga poses).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Most exercise is fine while you are pregnant, but make sure you listen to your body more now that you are pregnant. If you need to rest, rest. If you feel very hot, rest. If any exercise makes you dizzy or lightheaded, rest. You get the idea? Make sure you keep yourself very well hydrated too.

You should avoid any contact or high impact sports. Exercises that are recommended include any swimming or aqua aerobics, walking and pregnancy yoga (although my yoga teacher wouldn't take me in her pregnancy class until after 14 weeks)

Just make sure you know your limits and you'll be fine :)

Congratulations :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats RedPunto! You can continue doing what you were doing beforehand but contact sports are probably best avoided. Running, for instance, is fine if you were already doing it.

If you go to the gym talk to the staff because you should avoid some of the machines now. Similarly if you do pilates or yoga tell your instuctor. Sit ups are out for sure as are any stomach crunching exercises.

Be careful of overheating as well as you said. Probably not as much of a problem now as during the summer. If you're exercising make sure you're properly hydrated before. Most importantly listen to your body. I was very active before I got pregnant and had great plans but as soon as wk 6 started I was exhausted and dizzy so spent 7 wks lying on the sofa.

I'm 21 wks now and was just out for an easy 3hr hike this morning which would've been unthinkable during 1st 12wks. I notice some days I've loads of energy and others I'm exhausted after 45min walk so just see how you feel day to day.

Walking is really great as it's low impact, swimming if you like it and def consider pregnancy yoga after 14wks.

Good luck and enjoy!

Advertisement