Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long to cook pork steak?

Options
  • 19-09-2010 9:26am

So yesterday I bought two stuffed pork steaks that total 1.2kg.

The girl in the butchers said to cook them in the oven for 40mins at 180 degrees. This doesn't seem long enough. Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I did stuffed pork the other day and I put it in the over at 140 (low heat) for about 1 and a half hours - and checked it regularly to make sure it wasn't over cooking. I'd rather be safe than sorry with pork....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gordon Ramsay was talking about cooking pork on some program saying most overcook it and I think he was saying it could still be pink. Found this
    http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/07/25/a-pinker-pork/
    For many chefs and for many of us, medium-rare pork has been the norm for many years now. It’s not what the sternest health experts would recommend. It’s not anything that the U.S. Department of Agriculture would officially endorse. But trichinosis isn’t as much of a concern as it was decades ago — I don’t think there’s much dispute about that. And if medium-rare pork is a game of Russian roulette, well, I’m a lucky man who has never, ever encountered the loaded chamber. And I know many other diners just like me.

“If the pigs are raised properly, there’s no reason to be afraid,” said Joey Campanaro, the chef and co-owner of the Little Owl, in a telephone conversation. He said that most upscale restaurants that are worth anything get their pork from the kinds of providers who aren’t raising or selling sick pigs.

He said he’s been cooking pork medium-rare, unless otherwise requested, since 1994, when he went to work as a cook at the Symphony Cafe and was told for the first time that it could actually be done.

He said that back then, when diners were informed of the kitchen’s medium-rare intentions, many indeed balked. But not anymore. At the Little Owl, he said, it’s rare that a diner rejects the medium-rare recommendation and asks for medium or medium-well.

We’ve all come a long way, and we’ve all seen so many of our prejudices about what’s healthy and what’s risky challenged. I’m 41, and when I was growing up, I didn’t run across a whole lot of rare and medium-rare fish, but these days, even many relatively unsophisticated restaurants are cooking their tuna or salmon that way.

And I recently came across a medium-rare chicken — and not in one of those Japanese restaurants that serve chicken sashimi, which is of course even less than medium rare.

The restaurant served Mediterranean food, and after my companions and I ordered the poussin, a server told us the kitchen liked to prepare the bird medium-rare and felt comfortable doing so because it was a wild bird (I wonder about this) and not raised in a factory-like farm (I’ll buy that). The important distinction here is that chickens raised in crushingly tight proximity to other chickens are more likely carriers of salmonella. Organic, free-range birds (especially if the free-range term isn’t bogus) wouldn’t pose the same kinds of risks.

I flatten out pork steak and fry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is common here in Switzerland for pork to be served rare to medium rare. No one bats an eye.

I balked at the idea at first, but am now ok with it served medium with a hint of pinkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Key work in OP is 'stuffed', the pork steak has already been flattened and is probably no more than half inch thick around the stuffing, this means it does not need much time and I would say butcher was about right. It needs to get hot right through to the centre but the meat will actually cook quite fast due to the thinness.

threw it on for about an hour at 180 based on deelite's lower heat and longer cooking time and it was cooked perfectly. It was delish!

Thanks for all the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

She said longer at 140, not 180. Would of been over cooked for me.
    It's your food, so its up to you how well you want it, and the irish are well know for over cooking meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Me too, an hour sounds like it would be way overcooked for me. 40 mins sounds about right!

Mellor wrote: »
    She said longer at 140, not 180. Would of been over cooked for me.

Yes so I shortened the length of time because it was on a higher heat.

Well I found it was perfectly cooked, not overcooked at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I just meant for my tastes,
    I'd be of similar opinions to Gordon Ramsey above, obviously you thought it was perfect, for your taste it was, to each there own

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I cooked a small steak last night (don't recall the weight). Cooked it at around 160 in a fan over for approx 30 mins. It was cooked through and still juicy, but no pink. The fact that it was still quite juicy made it delicious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement