Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stolen bike

• 19-09-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

My bike was stolen yesterday and I was wondering if anyone knows where these stolen bikes go? I was thinking of going to one of the flea markets to try and find it but the guard I reported it to seems to think it's gone into some lock up and will emerge to be sold in a few months time.

I'm totally gutted as it was a birthday present. It was locked with a fairly sturdy lock but the bolt cutters they had went straight through it.

It was taken from Rathmines (Grove Park). It's silver and red with a basket (though I presume the basket is gone at this stage). Another nice bike was taken too but they left a rusty abandoned bike that was next to them.

day117.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Try adverts.ie gumtree.ie regularly, you might get lucky. Apart from this i'm not sure. You could try frequenting the dodgy LBS in town (i don't know them specifically).

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

Sorry to hear it.
    My bike was stole last week. It is on the rise with the cycle to work scheme. Since so many people are able to buy really good bikes with the scheme, bike theft is big business once again. Everyone I have talked to seems to think they are kept locked up for a few month and then sold on. The best deterent is a really good lock.You want to be spending anything from €60 to €80 on the lock alone. I think they pick the bike to steal according to the quality of the lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Mine got nicked some weeks back.

Bought a replacement second-hand bike from a reputable guy http://dublinbikeman.blogs.ie/ and bought a really good lock for 60 euros so hopefully will hold onto this one for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

They're probably either going to be locked up for a while or else they might be exported abroad.

I remember recently talking to an acquaintance of mine who is a migrant to Ireland, he mentioned that he knew a person who could get a state of the art bike brought here from France for 60 EUR. Needless to say, I didn't go for it.

I know bikes are somewhat cheaper over on the continent as I've saw them in stores, but definately not that cheap for a new one with suspension.

Sorry for your loss, keep an eye out at the markets and classified sites. Also if you get a new bike, keep the serial number of it and ensure it's given to Gardai and second hand bike shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Thanks for the replies. When I posted I was still a bit shocked but I've resigned myself to the fact that I probably won't see it again. I have been keeping an eye on adverts and gumtree but no sign.

I just hope that people stop buying these dodgy bikes as that's the only thing which might stop them getting stolen. I am going to get a new bike through the bike scheme and my new house has a shed so it will be safe at night. I've been looking at Kryptonite locks but I'm reluctant to but a U lock as it's more difficult to lock them up. I might do a combination of Ulock and cable lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

The thing with locks bought from the bike shop is,if you ask them how long the lock is guaranteed for they will tell you from 5-10 seconds and as for a u lock or d lock as some people call them,these can be easily open in seconds with a small car bottle jack,my advice would be to spend as much as you can on a lock if not 2 locks.The harder you make it for them the less likely you are to have your bike stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

I had my bike stolen over the wkend as well. I'm well pissed off as it was only 8 months old and this is my second bike theft in the space of a year!! My bike was taken from the underground car park in my appartment block, they used a bolt cutters to cut through the lock. The lock itself was a fairly hefty chain lock of the type you see couriers use slung over their shoulders. in retrospect, completely useless!

One thing i would say is that, in speaking to the Gardai, bike shop guy and others, there seems to be an increase recently in bike theft from underground appartments. They seem to be targetting these, i guess once they get into the carpark they have time and space to do the deed with little passing traffic, so be careful. There were other bikes left in the rack, they all had D locks, so i guess they have become a minimum requirement now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frant2

5 Bikes stolen out of back gardens on my road in Dublin 2 weeks ago, Guards said thieves are targeting back gardens and stealing bikes in bulk and putting them into a van and off they go - anyhoo - lock yer bikes to something solid even if they are out the back of house

Sorry to hear about your bikes. I would love to hear that at least one person got their bike back. Is there any CCTV in your apartment block? I lock mine in an underground carpark at work. I must check that there's CCTV there. You'd assume it's safer to leave bikes in a secure place like that than out on the street but obviously not.

TheNah wrote: »
    I had my bike stolen over the wkend as well. I'm well pissed off as it was only 8 months old and this is my second bike theft in the space of a year!! My bike was taken from the underground car park in my appartment block, they used a bolt cutters to cut through the lock. The lock itself was a fairly hefty chain lock of the type you see couriers use slung over their shoulders. in retrospect, completely useless!

One thing i would say is that, in speaking to the Gardai, bike shop guy and others, there seems to be an increase recently in bike theft from underground appartments. They seem to be targetting these, i guess once they get into the carpark they have time and space to do the deed with little passing traffic, so be careful. There were other bikes left in the rack, they all had D locks, so i guess they have become a minimum requirement now :(

The guy in the bike shop recommended kryptonite 'fahgettaboudit' as the lock which bike couriers are using. My only problem with that lock is that it's very small so it would limit the places where I could lock up. Think I'll start using the Drury St car (bike) park when I'm locking up in town from now on too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

boosh_fan wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your bikes. I would love to hear that at least one person got their bike back. Is there any CCTV in your apartment block? I lock mine in an underground carpark at work. I must check that there's CCTV there. You'd assume it's safer to leave bikes in a secure place like that than out on the street but obviously not.

No it's not because the thieves are not in plain (public) sight and therefore have possibly longer time to work on the lock.

Most locks can be broken, given enough time. Even the Kryptonite New York ones can be got through in a couple of a minutes with an angle grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 arnelv

Tip : when parking on a underground basement. always take or remove the front wheel, that would be a deterrent to prospective thieves. it would only take 3-5 secs ( bikes with quick release mechanism) to take out and carry it with you in your flat. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

Identical bike now for sale on adverts.ie check it out !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Good spot, boosh fan do you have the serial number? It's really important to always record your serial number.

If not, does the bike have any changes from stock, e.g. new saddle, bar grips, pedals?

EDIT: Looks like different wheels, not sure. Also one has a bell while the other has some kind of yellow stickers (?) around the stem. I'm guessing these bikes aren't that unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

the stem is different. its hard to see

I would love the beat the feckers if its yours. ...

make a call and view it. walk away and tell the Garda.

Thanks so much for that. Unfortunately it's not my bike. I had to replace the carrier at the back and that bike has the original one. Had my hopes up for a minute!

Got a quote for new bike yesterday. Just waiting for it to go through at work but should be back cycling next week.

Thanks again :)

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Good spot, boosh fan do you have the serial number? It's really important to always record your serial number.

If not, does the bike have any changes from stock, e.g. new saddle, bar grips, pedals?

EDIT: Looks like different wheels, not sure. Also one has a bell while the other has some kind of yellow stickers (?) around the stem. I'm guessing these bikes aren't that unique.

Didn't have the serial number (will be recording it from new one as soon as I get it!)

As mentioned, I replaced the carrier on mine after some drunken messing... and that one has the original carrier. Also looks in better condition than mine.

An interesting article on the subject http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/13/bike-thief-stolen-tips

Advertisement