Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sonnen tests postive for PED's after 117

• 19-09-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

According to California State Athletic Commission Executive Officer George Dodd, Chael Sonnen has been notified that he failed post-fight drug screening following his loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 117, which was held Aug. 7 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif.

“[Sonnen] received his notice yesterday,” Dodd told Sherdog.com shortly after the Shane Mosley-Sergio Mora boxing match ended Saturday night in Los Angeles.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/CSA...-UFC-117-26978

Shocker, especially after his Lance Armstrong comments.

Comments

Nothing about it on the other sites yet, but Sherdog (the site, not the forum) is reputable so I'll leave this open BUT be warned, I want people to use their heads in this thread. Keep the flamewars and fighter bashing for sherdog.

If this turns out to be the case I wonder does that kill the rematch. IMO it should, if I was Silva I'd be pretty p1ssed off about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Nothing about it on the other sites yet, but Sherdog (the site, not the forum) is reputable so I'll leave this open BUT be warned, I want people to use their heads in this thread. Keep the flamewars and fighter bashing for sherdog.

If this turns out to be the case I wonder does that kill the rematch. IMO it should, if I was Silva I'd be pretty p1ssed off about it.

IMO the rematch shouldnt have been booked in the first place, but I'd still like to see Anderson spank chael properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Damn sure it would kill the rematch, Sonnen would be looking at a year out and even after that I suspect the UFC would make him win 2 or 3 before earning another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Wow, i am really surprised by that, to the point of actually finding it a little hard to believe if i am honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Hopefully silva would be pissed off enough to want to kick his ass all around the ring and give him the fight.
    Im sure his head wouldn't be in it, the crowd/commentators would be against him and silva would kick his ass:D

I hate drug cheats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/CSA...-UFC-117-26978

Shocker, especially after his Lance Armstrong comments.

Can you remind me what was said about Armstrong please. I remember him saying something, but cant recall what it was.

Not good for him if it is true. I don't think he would be able to walk into a rematch, he'll need to comeback with couple of wins firstly of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

So disappointing, if true. It was such a great performance from Chael and would probably go down as one of the top fights in UFC, possibly MMA, history. It would be horrible to see it tainted like that. Still, the truth is still to come out so we'll just have to wait. Even if he does get banned because of it, expect Sonnen to vehemently refute the claims ala Barnett and Sherk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Oh crap... :(

Devastator wrote: »
    Can you remind me what was said about Armstrong please. I remember him saying something, but cant recall what it was.

Not good for him if it is true. I don't think he would be able to walk into a rematch, he'll need to comeback with couple of wins firstly of all.

He actually said while being recorded that Armstrong was a drugs cheat, and he gave himself cancer. Chael then swore blind in another interview that he never made those comments, dispite being caught on tape.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I hope there's a legit/innocent explanation for the positive test as I'd love to see Anderson handed a beating.

• Advertisement

Diceicle wrote: »
    I hope there's a legit/innocent explanation for the positive test as I'd love to see Anderson handed a beating.

No doubt he'll offer up some excuse about false positives, or unknowingly taking supplements or meds that contained banned substances, the very same as everyone else who gets caught cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Belfort / Okami must now be off

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

MOD EDIT: Keep the unfounded drug allegations to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I hate drug cheats.

Innocent until proven guilty

No doubt he'll offer up some excuse about false positives, or unknowingly taking supplements or meds that contained banned substances, the very same as everyone else who gets caught cheating.

He'll undoubtedly have to come up with some explanation for it. Have there not been cases where even using something as innocuous as an inhaler have flagged up false positives for athletes, albeit in other sports? How accurate are these tests? I'm probably coming accross as a Chael fanboy but I'm not, I've seen a handful of his fights and he wouldn't feature in a top 10 fighters list of mine. I just dont see him as the PED type of guy, he's competitive, and a great trash-talker and comes across as confident so I just cant reconcile his huge apparent confidence with a need to knowingly cheat. He also doesnt come off like a meathead and I would think that he know's the implications and risks of cheating and wouldn't jeopardise his career and the biggest fight of it. Just my opinion.

He'll undoubtedly have to come up with some explanation for it. Have there not been cases where even using something as innocuous as an inhaler have flagged up false positives for athletes, albeit in other sports? How accurate are these tests? I'm probably coming accross as a Chael fanboy but I'm not, I've seen a handful of his fights and he wouldn't feature in a top 10 fighters list of mine. I just dont see him as the PED type of guy, he's competitive, and a great trash-talker and comes across as confident so I just cant reconcile his huge apparent confidence with a need to knowingly cheat. He also doesnt come off like a meathead and I would think that he know's the implications and risks of cheating and wouldn't jeopardise his career and the biggest fight of it. Just my opinion.

Off the top of my head both Vitor Belfort and Pawel Nastula claimed their positive tests were due to taking supplements that contained banned substances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Phil Baroni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

kid chaos wrote: »
    So you hate 90% of guys that fight in the UFC

Is it that widespread?

Phil Baroni.

From the handful of fights / interviews I've watched with Baroni in them, he would fall into my 'meathead' category. Wasn't Baroni in with Ken Shamrock and all those lads in the Lions Den for time, I seem to remember Ken being of the opinion that steroids are ok.
    Sonnens a different animal to Baroni IMO, he was in the running for political office, that wouldn't mean too much here with our calibre of politician but they seem to have a certain level of quality for the most part in the states.
    If its proved beyond a reasonable doubt then Sonnen should be ashamed of himself and is certainly dumber than I'm giving him credit for, for the time being though, I just dont see Sonnen being a cheat.

he was in the running for political office, that wouldn't mean too much here with our calibre of politician but they seem to have a certain level of quality for the most part in the states.

I know this is the MMA forum rather then politics, but HAHAHAHAHAHA WTF, are you serious?

• Advertisement

I suppose what I'm saying here is that I dont see Sonnen as someone dumb enough to think they can take PED's and get away with it, the way some of the less intelligent competitors might. He was fighting on the main card in the biggest fight of his career, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but arent drug test mandatory or at least extremely likely for a title fight?
    Sonnen comes accross as smart enough to know this and know that if he were to cheat he's only screwing himself.

_oveless wrote: »
    Is it that widespread?

about 90% of the post you were replying to was probably meant to wind people up, which is why everyone else has choose to ignore it

I suppose what I'm saying here is that I dont see Sonnen as someone dumb enough to think they can take PED's and get away with it, the way some of the less intelligent competitors might. He was fighting on the main card in the biggest fight of his career, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but arent drug test mandatory or at least extremely likely for a title fight?
    Sonnen comes accross as smart enough to know this and know that if he were to cheat he's only screwing himself.

I'd agree with you, and yeah they are mandatory for title fights, but I assume mistakes can happen when cycling off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

See, there are new PEDs cropping up all the time which are designed to be undetectable!

The problem for these cheats is, as soon as they hit the "market", there are people whose job it is to ensure they BECOME detectable.

We've seen it happen in Athletics. Certain athletes were using PEDs which were undetectable for years, but then they become detectable and they get caught!

If you are of the mindset that you are going to cheat in order to win, and you've been cheating a winning for a long time, then i doubt that ceasing to take these drugs and become "human" again is an easy decision! Or even one taken with a clear mind!

Devastator wrote: »
    about 90% of the post you were replying to was probably meant to wind people up, which is why everyone else has choose to ignore it

90% is high, but Dennis Hallman said on InsideMMA that the most conservative estimate he could give would be that 50% of fighters at the top level are using.

Ive also heard it said that there are two types of fighter at the top level; Those that use steroids, and those that get caught using steroids. All anecdotal of course, but there's no smoke without fire.

90% is high, but Dennis Hallman said on InsideMMA that the most conservative estimate he could give would be that 50% of fighters at the top level are using.

Ive also heard it said that there are two types of fighter at the top level; Those that use steroids, and those that get caught using steroids. All anecdotal of course, but there's no smoke without fire.

I'm REALLY sorry for joining in on feeding the troll who typed that 90% nonsense. But 50%?? You honestly believe that for EVERY fight between top level guys, one of them is on PEDs? Come on now!

Now, can we not feed the troll anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Meh, people do it quite a bit, normally by messing up there cycle or thinking some has a shorter half life than it really does.

Personally i shall wait to make any further comment until i see exactly what he failed for.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm REALLY sorry for joining in on feeding the troll who typed that 90% nonsense. But 50%?? You honestly believe that for EVERY fight between top level guys, one of them is on PEDs? Come on now!

Now, can we not feed the troll anymore?

I found it hard to believe, but I feel that someone like Dennis Hallman has a greater knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes then I do, and considering the battering these guys give themselves in training it isnt unreasonable to think that they need help healing.

Of course its all unsubstantiated until someone pisses hot.

I found it hard to believe, but I feel that someone like Dennis Hallman has a greater knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes then I do, and considering the battering these guys give themselves in training it isnt unreasonable to think that they need help healing.

Of course its all unsubstantiated until someone pisses hot.

So, what Denis Hallman is saying is,as a UFC fighter (therefore fighting at the top level), when he gets into the cage, safe in the knowledge that he has not taken any PEDs, that it is statistically accurate to say that his opponent is on drugs?

If this is the case, why is he still fighting?

I just find this hard to believe!

• Advertisement

See, there are new PEDs cropping up all the time which are designed to be undetectable!

The problem for these cheats is, as soon as they hit the "market", there are people whose job it is to ensure they BECOME detectable.

We've seen it happen in Athletics. Certain athletes were using PEDs which were undetectable for years, but then they become detectable and they get caught!

If you are of the mindset that you are going to cheat in order to win, and you've been cheating a winning for a long time, then i doubt that ceasing to take these drugs and become "human" again is an easy decision! Or even one taken with a clear mind!

True enough, I guess in this case I just wouldn't see sonnen risking his brand / sponsors / title / career. On some other forums the "cheat" word is flying about with abandon, I'm reserving my judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Apparently it was stuff in flu medicine. Which Sonnen had been complaining in various pre fight interviews of suffering from a bug the week of fight.

Still he should have been careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

unknown13 wrote: »
    Innocent until proven guilty

I think the positive test is quite the proof, even if there is a reasonable excuse he is still tarnished goods tbh

The amount of people using steroids in MMA is quite high, not sure of the exact percentage as many do not get caught but people who think it is a clean sport bar a few mishaps etc are sadly mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He'll undoubtedly have to come up with some explanation for it. Have there not been cases where even using something as innocuous as an inhaler have flagged up false positives for athletes, albeit in other sports?
    That was Andrew Bree, irish olympic swimmer. He used a vicks inhaler, over the counter stuff, and it caused a positive test as an ingredient in the US version is banned. The irish one ok, so he was used to using one legitimately, used the US my accident in the states.
    He excuse was accepted and allowed to compete in Bejing
    So, what Denis Hallman is saying is,as a UFC fighter (therefore fighting at the top level), when he gets into the cage, safe in the knowledge that he has not taken any PEDs, that it is statistically accurate to say that his opponent is on drugs?

Even if 50% were on drugs, that still wouldn't be statistically accurate to say. There's a 50% chance, regardless of the other guys status.

Everything is banned these days, even oxyden is on the banned list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I hate drug cheats.

Most professional athletes "cheat" at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

as a matter of intrest what testing goes on in Irish MMA?

• Advertisement

siochain wrote: »
    as a matter of intrest what testing goes on in Irish MMA?

None I'd imagine, same goes with the UK(UFC cards excluded)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭dicey1664

looking forward to what he has to say tomorrow on mmalive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Sports Illustrated has quotes from one of the commission officials who was there when Sonnen took the test and he says that Sonnen said to him just before it that he had been taking a banned substance. He didn't say what or why. The official said that nothing can be done at that stage, that he would have had to come to them earlier and tell them all the details to determine if he actually required the substance at whatever level it was at

more news from today

The California State Athletic Commission has finally released an official statement on the full details of World Middleweight Title Challenger Chael Sonnen’s drugs test failure at UFC 117. They confirmed that Sonnen had tested positive for steroids, with both his first and second sample showing high testosterone to estrogen (T/E) levels, often a telltale sign of anabolic steroid use. In the official release, the Commission said:
    A sample from Sonnen’s August 6 drug test came back with a high T/E (testosterone-to-estrogen) level, which is indicative of anaboloic steroid use. CSAC learned of the results September 2 and ordered a second test, which also came back positive for steroid use. CSAC received test results from the second sample on September 14 and suspended Sonnen two days later. He is suspended for one year. Sonnen has 30 days to appeal the decision.
    “The use of anabolic steroids and other banned substances are not tolerated by the commission,” said CSAC Executive Officer George Dodd. “Anabolic agents put the health and safety of both the user and his opponents at risk.”
    Sonnen’s test was observed in the presence of a CSAC representative and the sample was sent to the World Anti-doping Agency test facility at the University of California, Los Angeles on August 6, 2010 for processing.
    UFC Middleweight Chael Sonnen will break his silence and make his first comments about this drugs test failure on Thursday when he speaks to ESPN’s MMA Live.

oh and just reading, apparently dana white has twated...tweeted....twooted....whatever it is that Belfort is next up for Silva & winner fights Marquart/Okami winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Excuse my French but he's a stupid f*cking idiot. He does an amazing job of basically making himself a star and a promtional machine and now this? Whatever his excuse is going to be, it's going to be hard for him to be taken seriously again especially since he has sold himself as the ultimate tough guy who will beat up on anybody he wants. Those claims aren't as impressive when you've been found to be using steriods at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Did that statement seriously come from the CSAC? Not only did they say that the E in "T/E" stands for estrogen rather than epitestosterone, they also spelt anabolic wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

seadnamac wrote: »
    Excuse my French but he's a stupid f*cking idiot. He does an amazing job of basically making himself a star and a promtional machine and now this? Whatever his excuse is going to be, it's going to be hard for him to be taken seriously again especially since he has sold himself as the ultimate tough guy who will beat up on anybody he wants. Those claims aren't as impressive when you've been found to be using steriods at the same time.

+1

Really can't belive this. Interesting now to see what Dana will come out and say. I can't imagine Silva being too impressed either.

Fozzy wrote: »
    Did that statement seriously come from the CSAC? Not only did they say that the E in "T/E" stands for estrogen rather than epitestosterone, they also spelt anabolic wrong

Copied from here

The spelling mistake may have been typo("o" is next to "i"), it was spelt correctly later in statement. After checking few other sites it seems to be the same statement on them all(inc sherdog), so must have all copied from same source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Who the f*ck is this guy? I couldnt stand to watch any more than a minute of that. His facial expressions and his stupid voice are incredibly annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's quite ironic that the fighter who replaces him, Belfort, was banned a few years ago for also taking anabolic steroids, yup positive for testosterone.

Next for a shot at no.1 contender, Nate Marquart tested positive for nandrolone,
    lol middleweight imo

He still can appeal, and the fact that he might have admitted it before hand makes believe he will. But i don't know of any legitimate reason for elevated testosterone,

edit; Just seen Belfort was mentioned above, along with pretty much every fighter. He's a bit sneaky though, he lists all the fighters who tested positive for banned subtances, not neceserily steroids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rickson1

Let's assume he did take PEDs, that makes it an all the more sweeter victory for Silva, he beat a (not 100% proven) roid head, sh*t talker on pure technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Maybe this will shut Sonnen up. He's a tool. And now he is a complete hypocrite. Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Maybe this will shut Sonnen up. He's a tool. And now he is a complete hypocrite. Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy

Why are all Republicans like this? Say one thing, do the other. Between this, Silva being injured and a clown telling me the result before I got to see the fight, it has ruined what would have been one of the best fights in history.

(Pre Failed Test)

Wandi congratulates Sonnen on handling Silva..... but then warns him to keep his mouth shut! Sonnen was either dying to punch him or so afraid that Wandi would smash him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement