Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sonnen tests postive for PED's after 117

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

TheProdigy wrote: »

Wow! i was looking forward to hearing what he had to say, but i always knew he was gonna pull out!

The guy is a joke! If he was innocent, he'd have jumped at the chance to go on TV!

By the way, has he actually said he's innocent?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

Devastator wrote: »
    about 90% of the post you were replying to was probably meant to wind people up, which is why everyone else has choose to ignore it
    It was not to wind anybody up, mabey 90% is a bit high

and i am not a troll, so you can get back to your world of warcraft:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New (I think) vid of Sonnen saying Silva asked for mercy "My ribs are hurting"
    Sonnen sounds like a dik at the start of the vid but then okay at the end. Wow, whats the deal with this dude!

"Silva, you are not qualified to make Frank Mir a sandwich!!!" hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

He is just sad at this stage.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    New (I think) vid of Sonnen saying Silva asked for mercy "My ribs are hurting"

This is apparently true, Silva WAS talking from the bottom and saying stuff like "My ribs are hurting".

But it was in jest. He wasn't REALLy asking for mercy. Had he been, the referee would have stopped the fight.

Or had he REALLY wanted mercy, he'd have tapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

There was a note in the Wrestling Observer this week that said that those who have heard Chael's side of the story have said that it's going to be extremely newsworthy when it comes out, either at the commission meeting in early December or before that if he gets an earlier hearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Fozzy wrote: »
    There was a note in the Wrestling Observer this week that said that those who have heard Chael's side of the story have said that it's going to be extremely newsworthy when it comes out, either at the commission meeting in early December or before that if he gets an earlier hearing

doubtful IMO. IF he had something "extremely newsworthy" what was stopping him going on MMA Live stating his innosense but saying he could not go into detail due to his upcoming hearing.

It would be interesting to hear if true, but he's not exactly been backward about being forward in the past so hard to believe that he can keep his gob shut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

At least he speaks his mind anyway il give him that, i still like the chap, EVERYONE thought he was a raging lunatic idiot when he was saying he was gonna beat the crap out of Anderson Silva (including me) and in fairness thats exactly what he did (mins the submission at the end hehe)

• Advertisement

Tones69 wrote: »
    At least he speaks his mind anyway il give him that, i still like the chap, EVERYONE thought he was a raging lunatic idiot when he was saying he was gonna beat the crap out of Anderson Silva (including me) and in fairness thats exactly what he did (mins the submission at the end hehe)

........... by cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What Sonnen needs is that info upload from the Matrix.

Sonnen : "I know triangle escapes!"
    Silva : "Show me"

23 minutes later

Sonnen : "Okay, maybe one more upload?"

doubtful IMO. IF he had something "extremely newsworthy" what was stopping him going on MMA Live stating his innosense but saying he could not go into detail due to his upcoming hearing.

It would be interesting to hear if true, but he's not exactly been backward about being forward in the past so hard to believe that he can keep his gob shut

I was very surprised to hear that he was going on MMA Live in the first place. The commission hearing is the equivalent of going before a court and doing an interview on TV would be like the accused going on the Late Late Show before their case had been heard. Hardly advisable

I don't see why there's any reason to doubt the people who told Meltzer that it's newsworthy. We'll find out in time anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Ahem........hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......im sorry about that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

MrStuffins wrote: »
    ........... by cheating.

So you keep saying, he still handed Silva a beating, its not like chael bulked up like crazy or he changed any part of his game dramatically or used dirty tactics (apart from cheating before you say it) ;) I dont understand why he'd "cheat" for Silva and not for marquardt etc which was only a short time ago, looked the very same and fought pretty much the same type of fight, knowing full well he was going to be tested, just seems odd.

So you keep saying, he still handed Silva a beating, its not like chael bulked up like crazy or he changed any part of his game dramatically or used dirty tactics (apart from cheating before you say it) ;) I dont understand why he'd "cheat" for Silva and not for marquardt etc which was only a short time ago, looked the very same and fought pretty much the same type of fight, knowing full well he was going to be tested, just seems odd.

Chances are he was using PED's then aswell just didn't get caught. Chael Sonnen was a very mediocre fighter before he beat Marquardt, who had previously demolished him before in training although that was a long time ago. The guy pulled out 2 epic performances out of nowhere, and even if his excuse is logic his reputation is tainted forever.

I'm always preaching how steroids are alot more common in MMA than people think, there is alot of stuff out there not being detected because the commision haven't already identified it so nothing shows up abnormal. Even Nate Diaz had a recent interview where he said that people should be surprised when a fighter is clean and that everyone uses some sort of enhancer. Some may not think of him as a very credible source but BJ Penn previously mentioned how common enhancers are in MMA.

• Advertisement

You can say all you want, but he cheated. He used drugs he was not permitted to. These drugs are not permitted because they unfairly enhanced his performance, hence the name of this particular group of drugs.

At the end of the day, the drugs helped him get the upper hand. A clean Chael Sonnen perhaps would not have done what the cheating Chael Sonnen did on the night. For all his posturing, he knew that he wasn't good enough, so he took drugs to even it up.

He still lost.

Pity they haven't invented a drug to get out of the Triangle Choke eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Well, I'd imagine he's getting as much evidence (probably the wrong word?) as he can before he says anything about it and will wait until maybe the very last day before lodging his appeal.
    ........... by cheating.

You keep saying this, How exactly do PEDs help your skill level? All he did was what he did in all his other fights, took his opponent down and just attacked from their guard.. He came in around 10 pounds heavier than Anderson on the night so thats another reason why your beloved didn't find it as easy to get up as he has done against others.. If you'd seen the fight with Dan Henderson you'd know Silva couldn't get up against him either..
    Chances are he was using PED's then aswell just didn't get caught. Chael Sonnen was a very mediocre fighter before he beat Marquardt. The guy pulled out 2 epic performances out of nowhere

Hardly a mediocre fighter, his only losses are against Paulo Filho (Who I believe if he hadn't turned into a nutcase would definitely be the best middleweight in the world now..), Demian Maia (Best BJJ Practioner in MMA? On par with Werdum and Jacare), and Anderson Silva (Who most people claim to be top p4p fighter on the planet..
    And as for pulling out epic performances, he's always been an incredible wrestler, what did he do in them 2 fights? Took them down and attacked from their guard.
    You can say all you want, but he cheated. He used drugs he was not permitted to. These drugs are not permitted because they unfairly enhanced his performance, hence the name of this particular group of drugs.

At the end of the day, the drugs helped him get the upper hand. A clean Chael Sonnen perhaps would not have done what the cheating Chael Sonnen did on the night. For all his posturing, he knew that he wasn't good enough, so he took drugs to even it up.

I'd like to wait until after the case before making ridiculous claims for or against him..

I was very surprised to hear that he was going on MMA Live in the first place. The commission hearing is the equivalent of going before a court and doing an interview on TV would be like the accused going on the Late Late Show before their case had been heard. Hardly advisable

I don't see why there's any reason to doubt the people who told Meltzer that it's newsworthy. We'll find out in time anyway
    ScareGilly wrote: »
    Well, I'd imagine he's getting as much evidence (probably the wrong word?) as he can before he says anything about it and will wait until maybe the very last day before lodging his appeal.

I don't understand why he announced he was going to appear in the 1st place, but by pulling out at the last minute makes it look worse IMO.

Fair enough he had thought better of it, he could have at least released a statement along the lines of "I am innocent. I will appeal this decision, but until the appeal process is complete I will be making no further comment on the subject"

I'd like to wait until after the case before making ridiculous claims for or against him..

Well then you might wanna rephrase this question, or actually have a little Google search.......
    How exactly do PEDs help your skill level?

Also
    Hardly a mediocre fighter, his only losses are against Paulo Filho (Who I believe if he hadn't turned into a nutcase would definitely be the best middleweight in the world now..), Demian Maia (Best BJJ Practioner in MMA? On par with Werdum and Jacare), and Anderson Silva (Who most people claim to be top p4p fighter on the planet

Did MMA only spring into existence in 2007?

He also has losses to Terry Martin (a VERY average fighter), Babalu (a "Nearly Man"), Trevor Prangley (i shouldn't have to say it), Forrest Griffin (i'll give him a pass for this one), Yamamiya (a guy with 26 professional losses)......... oh, and Jeremy Hore THREE TIMES!

I've no idea why you have no understanding of PEDs nor do you have any knowledge of Chael Sonnen before 2007.

Hardly a mediocre fighter, his only losses are against Paulo Filho (Who I believe if he hadn't turned into a nutcase would definitely be the best middleweight in the world now..), Demian Maia (Best BJJ Practioner in MMA? On par with Werdum and Jacare), and Anderson Silva (Who most people claim to be top p4p fighter on the planet..
    And as for pulling out epic performances, he's always been an incredible wrestler, what did he do in them 2 fights? Took them down and attacked from their guard.

At MW you mean?
    He also lost to Forrest Griffin, Trevor Prangley, Terry Martin, Jeremy Horn 3 times and he also lost to some Japanese guy. A few respected fighters but not world beaters by any means.

Chael Sonnen's reputation will be tainted forever, and so will his performance at 117 which people admired so much. He is the laughing stock of MMA and any credibility he had is now gone. Just because you may be a fan of him shouldn't change your perspective of the situation, if Brock was caught for roids how would you view that? Chael looks extremely foolish considering how he acted, he is an embarrassment to MMA.

EDIT * I see Mr.Stuffins has mentioned Babalu aswell as another who he lost to.

• Advertisement

Well then you might wanna rephrase this question, or actually have a little Google search.......

Also

Did MMA only spring into existence in 2007?

He also has losses to Terry Martin (a VERY average fighter), Babalu (a "Nearly Man"), Trevor Prangley (i shouldn't have to say it), Forrest Griffin (i'll give him a pass for this one), Yamamiya (a guy with 26 professional losses)......... oh, and Jeremy Hore THREE TIMES!

I've no idea why you have no understanding of PEDs nor do you have any knowledge of Chael Sonnen before 2007.

Well I left out since 2006* Which should've been obvious, sorry Mr. Sherdog fight tracker... Apparently, he beat Trevor Prangley as well, that's like saying GSP isn't a great fighter since he lost to Matt Serra.
    If you're such a big fan of the history of fighters, then you'll see Yamamiya has beaten Nate Marquardt, yeah, that must mean Nate is useless too.
    As for Jeremy Horn, he's drawn with Dan Severn, beaten Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin, David Loiseau.. And he's well past his prime now, a la Chuck Liddell. Except Horn has had over 100 fights..
    Babalu, show me one fight he's lost that wasn't against some of the best in the world.. Apart from Jason Lambert... Actually, after all that, I like using Sherdog stats to help my argument :D

I don't understand the first part of that post at all? Care to elaborate?
    As for the PEDs, want to tell me how they made him so much better according to you?
    nor do you have any knowledge of Chael Sonnen before 2007.
    I'm sorry, I'm willing to bet that you had never heard of him before the Marquardt fight, maybe the Maia fight..

At MW you mean?
    He also lost to Forrest Griffin, Trevor Prangley, Terry Martin, Jeremy Horn 3 times and he also lost to some Japanese guy. A few respected fighters but not world beaters by any means.
    I meant since 2006..
    Chael Sonnen's reputation will be tainted forever, and so will his performance at 117 which people admired so much. He is the laughing stock of MMA and any credibility he had is now gone. Just because you may be a fan of him shouldn't change your perspective of the situation, if Brock was caught for roids how would you view that? Chael looks extremely foolish considering how he acted, he is an embarrassment to MMA.
    I'd agree with most of this statement. Even if he appeals and wins his case he'll still be tainted as a steroid user.. Probably will be looked upon like Josh Barnett is if he's found guilty which would just make it worse.. If Brock was caught for roids I'd wait until the case was finished before saying anything since I know virtually nothing about Lesnar, I'm indifferent to him.. Whereas if Overeem was done for them, or Mir I doubt I'd be surprised..
    Once again, I agree with everything you've said, except for the last 6 words ;)

I'm sorry, I'm willing to bet that you had never heard of him before the Marquardt fight, maybe the Maia fight..

hahahaha, typical keyboard warrior

"I bet i had heard of that fighter before you have" :rolleyes:

The point i was making is, your arguement is ridiculous. it was also inaccurate as you said "His only losses" when they were not his only losses.

PEDs are Performance Enhancing Drugs, they enhance your performance, the clue is in the name. They are illegal for this reason.

if you need to ask how they improve your performance, then your argument is already invalid.

Go do a bit of research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Some people can't except the truth.

Silva went in to the sonnen match with a rib injury while sonnen had PEDs to assist him. Jesus denial is an ugly thing.

hahahaha, typical keyboard warrior

"I bet i had heard of that fighter before you have" :rolleyes:
    Yeah, I come across as such a hard man, sorry... :confused: Not really, I've just been following Chael for a while and hate when people make useless accusations about him being an ok fighter when he's proven he's a number one contender?
    The point i was making is, your arguement is ridiculous. it was also inaccurate as you said "His only losses" when they were not his only losses.
    If you read my last two posts you'll see I said I forgot to put in since 2006...
    PEDs are Performance Enhancing Drugs, they enhance your performance, the clue is in the name. They are illegal for this reason.
    if you need to ask how they improve your performance, then your argument is already invalid.
    Go do a bit of research.
    Well, apparently since you know how they helped Chael become so much more skilled than he was, you still haven't told me yet...
    Since you seem to be more in the know then most of the MMA world I'd like to know how you know it wasn't in the medicine he was taking? As I've stated, people should wait until the appeal (If there is one) is over..

Some people can't except the truth.

Silva went in to the sonnen match with a rib injury while sonnen had PEDs to assist him. Jesus denial is an ugly thing.

Sorry, what am I not 'accept'ing? And what exactly am I denying? :confused:

Yeah, I come across as such a hard man, sorry... :confused: Not really, I've just been following Chael for a while and hate when people make useless accusations about him being an ok fighter when he's proven he's a number one contender?

You also seem to want to defend him when he is clearly in the wrong.

If you read my last two posts you'll see I said I forgot to put in since 2006...

Yeah that was convenient eh?

Well, apparently since you know how they helped Chael become so much more skilled than he was, you still haven't told me yet...
    Since you seem to be more in the know then most of the MMA world I'd like to know how you know it wasn't in the medicine he was taking? As I've stated, people should wait until the appeal (If there is one) is over..

I'm not in the know more than any of the MMA world. but i seem to be less ignorant than yourself. He failed an A and B test. He's been banned and is considered guilty.

Let me ask you this, if after appeal comes and goes and Sonnen was to be found still guilty, or if he admitted taking PEDs, what would opinion be?

You obviously think it's ok for athletes to cheat in order to win! You obviously think it's ok to take illegal drugs and to break the rules and the law in order to win. Or is your ignorance of PEDs just blinding you?

that's like saying GSP isn't a great fighter since he lost to Matt Serra.

GSP did go and avenge his losses though ;)
    Let me ask you this, if after appeal comes and goes and Sonnen was to be found still guilty, or if he admitted taking PEDs, what would opinion be?

Didn't he admit before the event to some commissioner or someone connected with the UFC that he had taken something but wouldnt say what?

Didn't he admit before the event to some commissioner or someone connected with the UFC that he had taken something but wouldnt say what?

He did indeed :D

While he was giving his sample, he admitted to the representative from the CSAC that he had would fail his test and had taken something.

It's cut and dry as far as most people are concerned. I've no idea why others feel that taking PEDs is ok, especially after they need to ask time and time again how they work! it boggles the mind!

You also seem to want to defend him when he is clearly in the wrong.
    Once again, we'll have to wait until the hearing to see that, I'm not defending him, nor am I supporting him in his choice to possibly have taken PEDs.
    Yeah that was convenient eh?
    Actually, I think you'll find it was quite inconvenient as now you won't believe me..
    I'm not in the know more than any of the MMA world. but i seem to be less ignorant than yourself. He failed an A and B test. He's been banned and is considered guilty.
    You obviously think it's ok for athletes to cheat in order to win! You obviously think it's ok to take illegal drugs and to break the rules and the law in order to win. Or is your ignorance of PEDs just blinding you?
    Well apparently, you already know that he's taken PEDs whereas really, the only person that really knows if it was something in his medicine or PEDs is Chael Sonnen..
    Obviously, my opinion of him will drop if he's found guilty, and if he has taken PEDs I hope his ban is upheld unlike Sherk's. How does it look like I think it's ok for athletes to cheat, stop being an idiot.. I've said I'm not commenting about it until after the hearing, so stop being ignorant and wait for the hearing..
    GSP did go and avenge his losses though ;)
    Well he hasn't really had the chance to avenge most of them.. Apart from Trevor Prangley and Paulo Filho(That fight was one of the strangest fights ever though, so he never really got the chance against a fit Filho). Wasn't able to beat Jeremy Horn though.. Would've had his chance to avenge his loss to Anderson had this not come up..
    Yes he did, which is why I'm not commenting on it until after the hearing, sounds a bit fishy to me..
    It's cut and dry as far as most people are concerned. I've no idea why others feel that taking PEDs is ok, especially after they need to ask time and time again how they work! it boggles the mind!
    You still haven't told me how they helped Chael to become a more skilled fighter. By your reasoning I could take tons of PEDs and I'd be a world-class fighter..

• Advertisement

Once again, we'll have to wait until the hearing to see that, I'm not defending him, nor am I supporting him in his choice to possibly have taken PEDs.

He admitted it.......... why do we have to wait for anything?

Well apparently, you already know that he's taken PEDs whereas really, the only person that really knows if it was something in his medicine or PEDs is Chael Sonnen.

Oh, so he takes some medicine that he knows contains a banned substance and continues as it never happened? Pull the other one.
    stop being an idiot

Personal abuse is against the Forum Charter.
    Well he hasn't really had the chance to avenge most of them.. Apart from Trevor Prangley and Paulo Filho(That fight was one of the strangest fights ever though, so he never really got the chance against a fit Filho). Wasn't able to beat Jeremy Horn though.. Would've had his chance to avenge his loss to Anderson had this not come up..

It doesn't matter whether he avanged this or that. He cheated against Silva.
    Yes he did, which is why I'm not commenting on it until after the hearing, sounds a bit fishy to me..

What sounds fishy exactly?
    You still haven't told me how they helped Chael to become a more skilled fighter. By your reasoning I could take tons of PEDs and I'd be a world-class fighter..

Nope, that is not my reasoning at all. I have already said, PEDs enhance your performance, hence the name. You are letting your ridiculous defense of Sonnen carry you away and jumping to conclusions.

again, if you don't know about PEDs, look it up. Google is your friend.

He admitted it.......... why do we have to wait for anything?
    Because only he knows if it was in his medicine or not..
    Oh, so he takes some medicine that he knows contains a banned substance and continues as it never happened? Pull the other one.
    Once again, I'll wait until this has blown over before I comment..
    It doesn't matter whether he avanged this or that. He cheated against Silva.
    I think you'll find I wasn't talking to you? And once again we'll wait and see if he cheated.
    What sounds fishy exactly?
    The fact that he told the commission he would fail?
    Nope, that is not my reasoning at all. I have already said, PEDs enhance your performance, hence the name. You are letting your ridiculous defense of Sonnen carry you away and jumping to conclusions.

again, if you don't know about PEDs, look it up. Google is your friend.
    Well it is your opinion if you think Sonnen taking PEDs is what made him great against Silva. He just did what he's done against all of his opponents?

Well it is your opinion if you think Sonnen taking PEDs is what made him great against Silva. He just did what he's done against all of his opponents?

It is my opinion that he took PEDs and they contributed to his good performance.

You say "all his other opponents", but Silva is not ordinary opponent, he is the best in the world.

Never before has Sonnen fought the best fighter in the world at that time, no matter how highly you regard some of his past opponents.

It is my opinion that he took PEDs and they contributed to his good performance.

You say "all his other opponents", but Silva is not ordinary opponent, he is the best in the world.

Never before has Sonnen fought the best fighter in the world at that time, no matter how highly you regard some of his past opponents.

There is no way, after that performance, he can be called the best in the world.. If he is to be called the best in the world he really needs to work on his wrestling and his ground game, and stop training with Steven Seagal..

There is no way, after that performance, he can be called the best in the world.. If he is to be called the best in the world he really needs to work on his wrestling and his ground game, and stop training with Steven Seagal..

You think a guy who beats every single worthy opponent in his division and completely clears it out and then can come from behind and beat, in the manner in which he did, the No/1 contender at the time who was actually taking Performance Enhancing Drugs couldn't be considered No.1 in the world?

Than who is? You think there is a better, clean, MW out there.

it actually bothers me that i had to say "clean", but i had to because i had a feeling you'd say "Well Sonnen beat him up" or some other rubbish!

Silva has been the best in the world for many years now, but against Sonnen, for me, he became a true Champion!

Ok, one possible scenario: Chael is able to train for four hours a day (for example) without any PEDs. He is able to train for six hours a day with PEDs. That's 50% more time to prepare for Silva and to become more skilled

Just in general, people seem to forget that steroids can help you train more effectively for longer periods of time. Sometimes it's just thought that they do their work during the actual fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

Ok, one possible scenario: Chael is able to train for four hours a day (for example) without any PEDs. He is able to train for six hours a day with PEDs. That's 50% more time to prepare for Silva and to become more skilled

Just in general, people seem to forget that steroids can help you train more effectively for longer periods of time. Sometimes it's just thought that they do their work during the actual fight

Thats it right there. Steroids don't make you better, and they don't make you more skilled. What they do is give you enough recovery so you can train more and harder to get better. Steroids won't cause Sonnen to perform in themselves but those extra trainings that Sonnen would not of been able to do without them will most definitely cause Sonnen to perform to a higher degree.

I was waiting for Mr.Stuffins to say that :(

As for clearing out the division, he still has to get through Belfort, and of course his most recent loss Okami.. Then he has Belcher (Another excellent wrestler) if he comes back.. Only beat Dan Henderson because he was stupid enough to trade with him..

And of course, he never fought Paulo Filho..

I was waiting for Mr.Stuffins to say that :(

As for clearing out the division, he still has to get through Belfort, and of course his most recent loss Okami.. Then he has Belcher (Another excellent wrestler) if he comes back.. Only beat Dan Henderson because he was stupid enough to trade with him..

And of course, he never fought Paulo Filho..

Lol at your Dan Henderson remark :pac:

"Sure, didn't i only lose because yer man punched me in the face and put me to sleep?"

Paolo Filho is a shadow of a man who shouldn't be a MW anyway. (plus, they're friends aren't they?)

But this is all besides the point. The man is the best in the world, you may deny it, but you're in the VAST minority.

As the saying goes, there's always one!

Back on topic, Sonnen will lose his appeal. I'm sure he will have something to say for himself, but the fact of the matter if knowingly took the drugs. Or even if he didn't, he knew before the fight they were in his system.

He's a cheat, plain and simple! (oh, and he still lost, so Silva is still No.1, drugs or no drugs :D )

• Advertisement

Lol at your Dan Henderson remark :pac:

"Sure, didn't i only lose because yer man punched me in the face and put me to sleep?"
    I'll put it this way, If he was training with Greg Jackson he'd have won the fight ;)
    Paolo Filho is a shadow of a man who shouldn't be a MW anyway. (plus, they're friends aren't they?)
    He was number 2 MW in the world before he went down that bad road, yet Silva wouldn't fight him a la Chuck vs. Ortiz.. And why shouldn't he be a MW? :confused:
    But this is all besides the point. The man is the best in the world, you may deny it, but you're in the VAST minority.
    Still yet to be seen, as I've said, he has at least 2/3 more fights at MW to prove it.. And a rematch against a 'clean' Chael Sonnen.
    Back on topic, Sonnen will lose his appeal. I'm sure he will have something to say for himself, but the fact of the matter if knowingly took the drugs. Or even if he didn't, he knew before the fight they were in his system.

I haven't said he'll lose or he'll get off, I merely said I don't wish to comment on it until the verdict is out..

I'll put it this way, If he was training with Greg Jackson he'd have won the fight ;)

I'll put it this way, if my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle!
    He was number 2 MW in the world before he went down that bad road, yet Silva wouldn't fight him a la Chuck vs. Ortiz.. And why shouldn't he be a MW? :confused:

Erm.... you haven't been watching closely enough. He missed weight for the Sonnen Rematch, then then fought at LHW AND THEN HEAVYWEIGHT!

Still yet to be seen, as I've said, he has at least 2/3 more fights at MW to prove it.. And a rematch against a 'clean' Chael Sonnen.

Again, you haven't been watching closely enough. 12 straight wins, a UFC record. Wins over the creme de la creme of the division.

He's considered, in all camps apart from GSP's mother, to be the P4P best in the world.

But you're right, it's yet to be seen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Personally i would rank GSP P4P better than Silva due to the standard of opponent with most of GSP's wins.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Personally i would rank GSP P4P better than Silva due to the standard of opponent with most of GSP's wins.

That's fair.

But you would rank Anderson Silva as the best Middleweight surely?

Erm.... you haven't been watching closely enough. He missed weight for the Sonnen Rematch, then then fought at LHW AND THEN HEAVYWEIGHT!
    Did you see the Sonnen rematch? He was in rehab for months before it.. After the fight he was in rehab for a year. This was when he completely lost it, really disheartening seen as he was ranked Number One Middleweight at one stage..
    b87nl4.jpg
    2ion01.jpg

As for fighting at LHW, and then HW, this was all due to that. You'll see that he fought Denis Kang recently at MW and has no problem getting to MW.
    Again, you haven't been watching closely enough. 12 straight wins, a UFC record. Wins over the creme de la creme of the division.
    I'd only count 6 out of the 12 as the creme de la creme, although it'd probably only be 4 or 5...
    He's considered, in all camps apart from GSP's mother, to be the P4P best in the world.
    All camps? After that last performance I was of the opinion he'd dropped down a few rankings, GSP has consistently beaten the top of the WW division, bar a loss to Serra and Matt Hughes(Strongest fighter in the UFC? And has defended his title 7 times too;)). I'd also believe most people would have Jose Aldo at number 1 or 2...

But you're right, it's yet to be seen :rolleyes:
    Yes, if he beats Belfort, Okami, and a 'clean' Chael Sonnen I'll agree with you..

Right, so you don't think Silva is the No.1 MW in the world? Then who is?

And before you say Sonnen, don't be ridiculous!

• Advertisement

I would personally have Jose Aldo as number 1 p4p at the moment tbh given that unlike Silva (bar Sonnen:pac:) and GSP of late, he's regularly finishing people.

I would personally have Jose Aldo as number 1 p4p at the moment tbh given that unlike Silva (bar Sonnen:pac:) and GSP of late, he's regularly finishing people.

And who do you think is the best MW in the world?

And do you think Sonnen's PEDs contributed to his performance?

And who do you think is the best MW in the world?

And do you think Sonnen's PEDs contributed to his performance?

I still think Silva is still the best MW in the world right now. People forget the most important thing about the Sonnen fight is that Silva finished him.

Re Sonnens PEDs, I don't think they helped him take Silva down over and over again, but they may have helped him keep that relentless pace......

Right, so you don't think Silva is the No.1 MW in the world? Then who is?

And before you say Sonnen, don't be ridiculous!

I don't see how saying Sonnen is the best MW in the world is being ridiculous, wasn't he beating the man everyone ranked as number 1 for 23 minutes?

Anyways, I'm going to say like I always say, there are no real "best in the world" as there will usually always be a fighter that can beat him... Which Sonnen almost did. If Yushin beats Marquardt then beats Silva does that make him the best in the world? But he's lost to Chael Sonnen :confused: Rankings in MMA are fairly useless due to this concept I believe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

As far as rankings goes, I think you have to take in a decent sized body of work to support your view. While Sonnen was winning convincingly against Silva until he was subbed, if you look back over his other losses, you see that 8 of his 11 losses have come from submissions(although the Paulo Filho armbar was questionable), usually in fights that he was winning up until he got caught. Difficult to call him #1 ranked MW in my view

• Advertisement
Advertisement